Number plate factory number
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Default Number plate factory number

Hey everyone

When I first got my EFI I saw the number from the factory is still on my car, I was wondering if there is any way I could trace the number to get more info on my car and what year is was manufactured? I used the chassis number to see which year is was built, it came down to late 1970 to early 1971, I'd like to narrow it down, but most important where it was assembled. Maby a French assembled or maby an English assembled DS.

I'd like to know the country of assembly most of all.

Henno (rigvdm) Sent me a link about a D cabriolet being restored in America, and in that blog the author wrote that he traced the factory number and it was french assembled but not sure if it's a Chapron or the factory ones, anyway I'd like to know where it was built/assembled

Cheers
    Corne

Advertisement
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

On the plate the number 75 indicates: SEINE ie PARIS, the letters TT mean Transit Temporaire on a red plate means that car was sold to someone outside the european community on a temporary permit to drive in France prior to Export, possibly South Africa. Looking at the square tail lights, I don't think it is a Slough car, so almost for sure a French built DS.

Thanks

That's just about what I wanted to know

So it's sort of not a factory number but more a license plate... All of the "More special" cars in South Africa that I know of have this kind of plate. By special cars I mean all Semi auto's All EFI's and just about all DS21's, that's apart from the few who had their 20 engine changed to a 21 as a special request.

This car would have been a private import? I don't think if Citroen themselves imported the car they would have put this number on?

Thanks again for the info Harrisson_Citroën

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

What Harrison Citroen said...

They still issue "red" numberplates - mainly for tourists who lease cars within France, but are not residents of the country - eg Peugeot Eurodrive program!

As to why your car may have a set - Potentially he/she purchased the car in Paris, drove it in Europe for an extended period of time and then had it shipped back to the Transvaal!

Speculating as to why all of the cars in South Africa of the same vintage have those plates - maybe there was no official importer or they were parallel imports - purchased in France on concessional registration and brought back to South Africa in that manner!

Cheers,

Joel
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

I agree

Most cars like I said about the "special cars" must have been private imports. We only had DS19 20 and 23. No official imports of EFI's or 21's by Citroen South Africa.

The amount of cars with these numbers are not hundreds but I saw about 8 with the numbers...

So it must have been private imports, the year model of the cars range from 1967 to 1975.

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

I don't want to hijack this thread but I too have been curious about the original number plate that my 66 wears.. 6102 WW275 can you shed any insight? Plates front and rear are white script on black.

Regards,
    Tim
    1966 Citroën DS19 Pallas, 1969 Ford F100, 1959 Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, 1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible

And remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself..

Plates front and rear are white script on black.
    And on his car, they are painted on, just as the pic in the top of this thread was.

Ready to be corrected on this, but from what I've observed on trips to France, WW plates seem to be a type of dealer plate. What the 2 is before the region code 75 (Paris) I don't know, and the WW plates I've seen are often very roughly painted.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Icon6

G'day,
    try sending an email to Citroen, quoting all the numbers you can find, chassis, engine, body etc. I sent one to VW about a 1981 Golf I had, they replied with the day of manufacture, the day it was sent to England and the name of the English dealer.

you never know your luck.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Ready to be corrected on this, but from what I've observed on trips to France, WW plates seem to be a type of dealer plate. What the 2 is before the region code 75 (Paris) I don't know, and the WW plates I've seen are often very roughly painted.
    There was a time in France where the majority of number plates where hand painted. And ALL french number plates where silver or white paint on black. Admittedly some where cut out silver metal numbers and letters stuck on a black backgrounds.

Later on in the 70's reflective plates white on front and yellow at the rear were progressively introduced.

WW number plates were cars driven from the dealer to another destination without being "properly" registered yet, so yes a kind of dealer plate I guess. So yours would have been delivered then another plate screwed on top of it.

How do I know that? Because I'm old that's why.

No no no no Harrison_Citroen, you're not old just wise.

I haven't attempted to send Citroen details about my car, but I'll try, recently I saw a form where you have to pay 25 euros then Citroen will trace your car's full history, but you must have it registered in your name and I think licensed...

My car was scrapped so it sort of belong to no one. I have to re-register the car which can take up to a year or even more....

I'll just give them an email with the full description of the car and pictures of the car itself, maby they'll help us?

Tim are we going to try our luck with them?

Doubt if I'll have that luck this time. waterpump in the Safari seized and "rusty" had the feared bonnet accident , what did they say about accidents come in three??

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Hi Corne, I have confirmation of what a WW plate is used for:

CPI WW
    Il est délivré dans les cas suivants :
    Les véhicules neufs vendus incomplets aux fins de carrossage,
    les véhicules neufs ou d'occasion importés dont le dossier de demande d'immatriculation est incomplet,
    Les véhicules neufs destinés à l'exportation.
    Le certificat provisoire d'immatriculation WW permet de circuler 1 mois et peut être prorogé une fois sur présentation d'un document justificatif de la demande

WW plates are used in the following circumstances:

New vehicles sold incomplete with a view to altering the body (I guess motorvans etc..)
    New or Used vehicles imported and of which the formalities are not complete.
    New vehicles destined to be exported.
    The WW plates allow you to drive for a month maximum.

So it looks like your car was registered like this prior to exporting.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by CorneSoutAfrica View Post

Tim are we going to try our luck with them?

I'm willing to give it a shot, can anyone point me where to email Citroen? Is there an archives division or something?

Hotrodelectric mentioned to me on the phone to get in touch with the Citroen Conservatois? Pronounced the way you say Francois.. And they could provide all the details of original manufacture and delivery..

Let me know!
    1966 Citroën DS19 Pallas, 1969 Ford F100, 1959 Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, 1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible

And remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself..

I just have to get to the work computer, the form is on there. I had a look at the French website of Citroen but the conservotoire will probably be a better bet. I'll forward it to you

How is Bill (Hotrodelectric) doing? Haven't heared or seen him online in a long while, he ok?

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Contact the
    Conservatoire Citroën
    Bd André Citroën BP 13
    Aulnay Sous Bois Cedex 93601
    France
    or email
    [email protected]
    or
    phone 331 56 50 80 22
    or fax
    331 56 50 80 23
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

The other feature of the red plate scheme is that the cars sold and bought back on those red plate temporary purchases, escape tax on resale. That is one of the reasons why those "leasing" arrangements are such good value. The cars were sometimes auctioned afterwards or just registered that way by people intending to drive them out of France, never to return.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thanks Gerry for the info

Sounds quite practical with the number system on cars in France...

Monday I'll contact them and see if they are willing to help, that is if I still want to know after monday and the car is still in one piece, the car is testing my patience

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Thanks Gerry I'll be contacting them too.

Bill was doing well last I spoke with him, just busy and hadn't been online in a while..

Let me know how you make out Corne!

Thread Information