One AMAZING Citroen Berlingo Van
  • Register
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default One AMAZING Citroen Berlingo Van

An ‘Amazing But True’ Story
    Of
    One Citroen Berlingo Van

Mr. Dennis Trewanick, a friend since the 1960’s, a former Motor Mechanic and Speedcar Driver at Claremont Speedway, bought a NEW Citroen Berlingo Van (registered number 1BKI998) in 2005 to use as a delivery vehicle.

Today, 6th April 2011,Dennis called in to my office to show me his van which is now 6 years old and travelled 668,000 kilometres!

During the past 6 years of ownership Dennis has averaged over 100,000 km per year, his runs including long country trips from Perth to Esperance and Kalgoorlie, as well as local deliveries.

His Citroen Berlingo van has its original 1.4 litre petrol engine and now uses 1 litre of oil every 2,500km and averages over 50MPG on country runs!

Advertisement

Dennis has fitted a 'second-hand' transmission, as the original began to make noises and he didn't want to risk being stranded halfway between Perth and Esperance.

This demonstrates the strength and longevity of Citroen vehicles, which is a common thread amongst the ‘Cars of France’, and which is the reason that I have dedicated my working life to the ‘Cars of France’ since 1959.
    Rod Slater

Last edited by Rod Slater; 6th April 2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typo errors

JBN

Reading this post in the context of so many other posts in the Citroen Section, I would be inclined to say this is a "flash in the pan". The Berlingo with its Peugeot suspension and engine and more utilitarian design, doesn't suffer from:
    • Hydraulic suspension problems
    • Climate control problems
    • Complex engine, suspension computer management systems
    • Sealed for life automatic gearboxes
    If it doesn't have electric windows, thats an added bonus, but at worst it only has two to go wrong.

I agree that the owner has had a remarkable run from his Berlingo, but I wouldn't judge all Citroens from this one vehicle and model, which is not representative of the larger, more diverse and more disaster prone extended Citroen family.

I like Citroen. What other brand of car can one confidently make the statement "I am going for a drive today" and simultaneously harbour the thought "maybe?"

John

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Reading this post in the context of so many other posts in the Citroen Section, I would be inclined to say this is a "flash in the pan". The Berlingo with its Peugeot suspension and engine and more utilitarian design, doesn't suffer from:
    • Hydraulic suspension problems
    • Climate control problems
    • Complex engine, suspension computer management systems
    • Sealed for life automatic gearboxes
    If it doesn't have electric windows, thats an added bonus, but at worst it only has two to go wrong.

I agree that the owner has had a remarkable run from his Berlingo, but I wouldn't judge all Citroens from this one vehicle and model, which is not representative of the larger, more diverse and more disaster prone extended Citroen family.

I like Citroen. What other brand of car can one confidently make the statement "I am going for a drive today" and simultaneously harbour the thought "maybe?"

John
    That's the spirit .... We can't let anyone say something positive about PSA era cars can we

A move valid response would be "so how many gearboxes has it had"

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

And of course ownership of any French car requires that you are held down in injected with a shot of cynisism....

Rod thanks for a good story about Citroen in Aus. I like to remind the nay-sayers that Citroen was THE first brand of car to drive around Australia - and that the car still exists and is in the National Museum.

Perhaps some pics and an expanded story of the vehicle could be compiled to circulate to CCC magazines both here and O/S?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Pics of the odometer or it didn't happen!

Still, close to 700k is one amazing feat! And I think my car is a high miler @ 200k - Burns no oil though, but the suspension is knackered!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Default berlingo

i had a 2001 berlingo 1.4 and did 260kms of hard town driving and flogging no problems until head gasket blew and gearbox was a little noisy so when traded it in as a company it was worth much but we had a fantastic run out of it

there was an '02 picasso for sale on trademe.co.nz a week or two ago that'd gone past 800'000km.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by cameron_adsett View Post
    there was an '02 picasso for sale on trademe.co.nz a week or two ago that'd gone past 800'000km.
    I would expect that is a HUGE amount of distance for any vehicle in NZ.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Default Picasso

I would expect that is a HUGE amount of distance for any vehicle in NZ.
    If the speedo is a GPS type and the car was in Christchurch then it would be plausible.

yeah, for a ligth vehicle it's pretty amazing. used to hear/see hiace vans that'd clocked over a million on courier runs etc. most trucks only get kept in linehaul over here for a million.
    the ad said it was an airport shuttle between auckland and tauranga. a trip of only 198k. over 9 years that's only 250sh k per day (every day, though).

Thread Information