Custom Suspension for C4 VTS ?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Custom Suspension for C4 VTS ?

Hello fellow citroen fans

Advertisement

I bought myself a C4 VTS on the weekend and I absolutely love it and pinch myself everytime I go outside, but I have a serious gripe with the suspension on this thing. It's way too hard on sydney's crappy potholed roads. Can anyone reccomend something for this? Custom suspension?

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by ivanc4vts View Post
    Hello fellow citroen fans

I bought myself a C4 VTS on the weekend and I absolutely love it and pinch myself everytime I go outside, but I have a serious gripe with the suspension on this thing. It's way too hard on sydney's crappy potholed roads. Can anyone reccomend something for this? Custom suspension?
    Sadly you are a few models too late. The GS had the suspension you are after. In the old days when French roads were as bad as ours, their cars were perfect.

Now that the roads in Europe and Japan are light years ahead of ours, we are poorly serviced. Hence, many get SUVs because they have an all terrain ability, which better suits the all terrain character of the roads found in Sydney.

John

This is unfortunate indeed, the first car i remember as a child was my the family Dyane 6 in ex-Yugoslavia it had amazing suspension. So not much I can do about this VTS except move to Europe? Maybe Melbourne or Canberra, they have much better roads.

Default Custom Suspension for C4 VTS

Good query on the suspension. C4 is pretty bumpy down here too on our excellent roads. There must be an answer. I should check out the coils and struts on the rear of the Laguna Expression ll that I sol. That was just right for me. Not far off the comfort of the Xantia.

Any suspension experts out there?
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

I seem to remember a post some time ago (maybe before the big crash?!) where a fellow frogger was commenting on how much improved he found a later C4 model loaned to him, when compared to earlier cars. Still, we are talking about a VTS here, so I suppose these versions are meant to be relatively "racy"!

Cheers,
    Paul

Smaller wheels with bigger ( higher profile ) tyres and all your problems solved.

The low profile tyres fitted to many late model cars do not suit our roads , they are chosen for appearance and to apease road test journos who love to bag anything that does not have gokart like steering and handling.These low profile tyres are not the best for everyday driving.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

I would be curious to go into a dealership and drive one of the "pedestrian" C4's to see whether it's the suspension tune of the VTS that makes it so bumpy. I've had it now for 5 days and I think im getting used to it. I called up suspension guys and he quoted four adjustable Koni's at $1650 ouch!! He couldn't guarantee that it would make it softer. But the suggestion of the higher profile tyres seems like the cheapest and most sensible solution!

Hi Ivan, I know that Eibach springs or the height adjustable Bilstein B9 Coilovers are quite popular with various members over at C4Owners.org who have installed custom suspension on their C4's (hatch or coupe). One of my work colleagues installed Bilsteins on his old BMW 3 Series and reckoned that there was a significant and immediately noticeable improvement in ride comfort and handling.
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

1000+ Posts

Put smaller wheels on it (eg 16" off a VTR with 205/55 R16 tyres) rather than the 17" wheels with 205/50 R17 tyres which would be fitted to the VTS.

UFO

But make sure the smaller inner diameter of the wheels would clear the brakes etc. Being a VTS it may have larger brake calipers and discs.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default I'll probably cop some heat for this, but...

At the risk of copping some heat from my fellow AussieFroggers, I have to say that whilst smaller wheels and higher profile tyres will no doubt cushion the ride a bit more, it will not (in my humble opinion) do anything for the overall look of the VTS. The standard 17" Resolfen alloys fitted to the VTS already look a little on the small side in the massive wheel arches of a C4 coupe. Putting 16" wheels on it will simply make it look like a VTR and with all due respect to owners of VTR coupes, if you wanted something that looked like a VTR, then you'd buy a VTR and not the VTS. That's just my worth...

Guess I'll wait for the now...
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CamM View Post
    At the risk of copping some heat from my fellow AussieFroggers, I have to say that whilst smaller wheels and higher profile tyres will no doubt cushion the ride a bit more, it will not (in my humble opinion) do anything for the overall look of the VTS. The standard 17" Resolfen alloys fitted to the VTS already look a little on the small side in the massive wheel arches of a C4 coupe. Putting 16" wheels on it will simply make it look like a VTR and with all due respect to owners of VTR coupes, if you wanted something that looked like a VTR, then you'd buy a VTR and not the VTS. That's just my worth...

Guess I'll wait for the now...
    You're not alone. I agree that 16" wheels would do nothing for the appearance and would look lost in its wheel arches.

I was (briefly) tempted by a VTS, before opting for the 207 GTi. The looks caught my attention, especially with the 19" wheels fitted to the demo model. FWIW, the VTS ride with those 19"s felt softer than the GTi.

I did like the VTS, except for the central speedo. Unless precision is needed, I prefer analogue displays to digital - far quicker and easier to "read". Besides, I get enough "guidance" from back seat drivers, without a highly visible speedo to add fuel to the fire.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Quote Originally Posted by TimOzSF View Post
    You're not alone. I agree that 16" wheels would do nothing for the appearance and would look lost in its wheel arches.

I was (briefly) tempted by a VTS, before opting for the 207 GTi. The looks caught my attention, especially with the 19" wheels fitted to the demo model. FWIW, the VTS ride with those 19"s felt softer than the GTi.
    I've seen 19" wheels on a VTS - looks good, but I tend to think the ride quality would be seriously rough! I reckon 18" rims running 225/40 tyres (which may possibly be cheaper than the standard 205/50 R17 rubber) and slightly lowered suspension looks great IMHO. None of the "boy racer" look, just a stylishly aggressive appearance.

BTW - if the VTS on 19" wheels felt softer than the 207 GTi, how rough is the ride on that Pug??

facebook.com/cccnsw

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    Smaller wheels with bigger ( higher profile ) tyres and all your problems solved....
    Id agree, and ensure the wheel can cope with the brake discs inside.
    Oh and if your sleepless with concerned about how it may 'look' with normal sidewall height rubber in relation to the alloy low profile wheels, dress the normal rims with hubcaps...!
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

It's a sad day when Citroen gets criticized for ride quality!
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    But make sure the smaller inner diameter of the wheels would clear the brakes etc. Being a VTS it may have larger brake calipers and discs.
    I can confirm that the VTS does indeed have larger front brakes, however I'm not certain what the actual size difference is.

facebook.com/cccnsw

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post
    It's a sad day when Citroen gets criticized for ride quality!
    No no, the issue is not the C4's suspension. It's Sydney's crap roads.

facebook.com/cccnsw

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I have now been reliably informed that the 16" VTR wheels would fit the VTS, but only just.

facebook.com/cccnsw

Fellow Frogger!

... BTW - if the VTS on 19" wheels felt softer than the 207 GTi, how rough is the ride on that Pug??
    Hmmn, now you've got me doubting my own memory. The 19's would have to have been 35 profile, and the VTS seats weren't that much softer than those in the Pug. So, maybe they were closer than what I recall.

The Pug's ride is firm, doesn't do much to disguise crap roads, but not what I'd call rough.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Hate to talk about a non-citroen here but my previous car was a corolla seca sx, it was sporty and it's ride was perfect, firm yet not too much, just a touch of body roll. The VTS is like a thing on rails awesome at speed but kidney squeezing. Maybe i'm becoming old!

Hey I saw your post over at c4owners.uk CamM. Thanks for the concern! You're pretty much right what you said I've gotten used to the ride and am very much enjoying this little rocket. I realised a couple of things why it got a bit of criticism for not being fast enough in the press. The engine needs revving hence it might not be as responsive from the start, secondly the driving position is high hence it reduces the sensation of speed, when you look at the speedo you go oh ****en shit! The sound deadening is so good it also ads to "the lack of feel" that they've complained about. Driving it down in Canberra on the weekend was an eery experience with their good roads. I'm thinking that putting custom springs still might be a good thing, it would lower it a bit which would not be a bad thing. I like driving low cars.

I had a friend suggest to me removing the factory 17inch alloy wheels (boo!) and buying different ones which are not low profile and putting bigger profile tyres to improve the ride quality yet keeping the OD the same. Sounds like a sensible suggestion ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    Smaller wheels with bigger ( higher profile ) tyres and all your problems solved.

The low profile tyres fitted to many late model cars do not suit our roads , they are chosen for appearance and to apease road test journos who love to bag anything that does not have gokart like steering and handling.These low profile tyres are not the best for everyday driving.

Bump !

Thats the solution.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari

I have now been reliably informed that the 16" VTR wheels would fit the VTS, but only just.
    I have fitted 15" Mi16 wheels to a 208 GTi 180 , had to clean a few minor casrting dags from inside the wheel rim but they fitted over the calipers , they did look funny with 50 series tyres !

Not sure if its the same set up with the brakes on the C4 but might be able to fit a set of C5 lightweight wheels with high profile tyres (to keep the rolling radius the same), you would improve the ride just by reducing unsprung weight.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari

Reducing the weight doesn't sound like a bad thing either. Yes the style police might come after me but who cares. I can put the originals back come trade-in time. I live in the eastern suburbs and the roads are absolutely horrific here! These C5 wheels are 16inch or 17inch?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information