BX windscreen source?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default BX windscreen source?

Just wondered whether anyone has tried to get a new BX windscreen lately. I seem to be drawing a blank by the conventional means.

Advertisement

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Oh dear, I'm about to go down this route, so I'll be watching this closely.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Just wondered whether anyone has tried to get a new BX windscreen lately. I seem to be drawing a blank by the conventional means.

Cheers

John

...can't help in the west John, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    ...frog, try Dave at ABC Windscreens 0412 375 333
    He's a mobile fitter and recently did some work at the mechanic next to us, I quizzed him on Citroen screens and he was able to source and give me a price for my D. Should have no trouble with a BX? Did I mention he was cheap

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    ...can't help in the west John, sorry

He's a mobile fitter and recently did some work at the mechanic next to us, I quizzed him on Citroen screens and he was able to source and give me a price for my D. Should have no trouble with a BX? Did I mention he was cheap

Cheers
    Chris
    That was quick! Thanks Chris. It sounded so bad they were calling "Sitrun" to get advice - not wildly encouraging.....

However the phone rang as I was typing this - my latest news is that O'Brien glass have one in Perth - Heaven knows where they were hiding it!

That means it should be easy "over East". Not many BX examples in WA.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I suspect I will need to replace mine before long, as I have a couple of stone chips... I suspect it will be somewhat easier for me though...
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071 View Post
    I suspect I will need to replace mine before long, as I have a couple of stone chips... I suspect it will be somewhat easier for me though...
    Maybe not smiffy
    I've heard even the winscreens rust over there

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy1071 View Post
    I hadn't realised quite how bad ours was until I drove to work into the sunrise last week. Far too many widespread tiny stone chips - I honestly wasn't safe I could see so little.

While you guys are watching, have you ANY idea where they hid the horn? Mine has stopped working and I simply can't find the thing. I expected somewhere odd at the front but nothing I can see though has a horn behind it.

Thanks
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

John,

Try looking in the wheel arch in front of the passengers side front wheel.

You must have too much of your BX left if you can't see it.

Cheers,

Ken W

New screen in. Lovely tinted top laminated screen. Metal under the old one was perfect. W'screens O'Brien performed very well.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    John,

Try looking in the wheel arch in front of the passengers side front wheel.

You must have too much of your BX left if you can't see it.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Thanks Ken. I've looked there but I suspect not enough. Better pull the plastic guard liner off I suppose.

The BX is complete and rust free (not dashboard crack free of course but othewise pretty good). We love it and use it, among other things, as a covered ute. What amazing capacity the BX Estate has!!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

New screen in. Lovely tinted top laminated screen. Metal under the old one was perfect. W'screens O'Brien performed very well.

Cheers
    Thanks John and Chris, I'll make a few calls sometime in the next week or so.

From windscreens, to horns, to dashboard cracks. Unofficial BX thread? Has anyone had any success getting the de-mister vent repaired? Or, know where I can get a decent black one in Australia for the Valver?

Thanks John and Chris, I'll make a few calls sometime in the next week or so.

From windscreens, to horns, to dashboard cracks. Unofficial BX thread? Has anyone had any success getting the de-mister vent repaired? Or, know where I can get a decent black one in Australia for the Valver?
    AFAIK the demister vent molding (moulding?) is beyond hope as a subject of repair. There are intact ones in UK, but.................

I've not heard of an intact one in Oz and if you found one I'd bet it would break during the day it took to remove.....

I was thinking of one of the following for ours:

1. Ignore it - this is the approach for the last 7 years
    2. Get a dashmat made to hide it
    3. Consider finding a good panel worker to make a shaped metal (ally) cover and glue it over the top.

From all accounts you could replace it with a new one and still get a sudden "crack".

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

AFAIK the demister vent molding (moulding?) is beyond hope as a subject of repair. There are intact ones in UK, but.................

I've not heard of an intact one in Oz and if you found one I'd bet it would break during the day it took to remove.....

I was thinking of one of the following for ours:

1. Ignore it - this is the approach for the last 7 years
    2. Get a dashmat made to hide it
    3. Consider finding a good panel worker to make a shaped metal (ally) cover and glue it over the top.

From all accounts you could replace it with a new one and still get a sudden "crack".

Cheers
    Thanks for the reply John.

They're sort of plastic welded/riveted to the main dash piece, so installation/removal would be interesting, probably would be safest to swap the whole dashboard.

I do like the shaped metal idea.
    Maybe if you had one that wasn't too bad you could get it wrapped in a vinyl or something?
    The problem is that the warp as well as crack.

There was a guy in the NZ who fabricated one from MDF, not sure if I like the look.

It would probably look better out of thinner wood, with a flatter paint.

Mine is quite bad, so was always beyond repair, but I thought maybe if I found one in better condition I could get it repaired.

Anyone have a spare black series 2 dashboard with a good demister vent panel, in south east QLD?
    If I found a good one it would have to live under a dashmat for the rest of its life.

Thanks for the reply John.

They're sort of plastic welded/riveted to the main dash piece, so installation/removal would be interesting, probably would be safest to swap the whole dashboard.

I do like the shaped metal idea.
    Maybe if you had one that wasn't too bad you could get it wrapped in a vinyl or something?
    The problem is that the warp as well as crack.

There was a guy in the NZ who fabricated one from MDF, not sure if I like the look.
    It would probably look better out of thinner wood, with a flatter paint.

Mine is quite bad, so was always beyond repair, but I thought maybe if I found one in better condition I could get it repaired.

Anyone have a spare black series 2 dashboard with a good demister vent panel, in south east QLD?
    If I found a good one it would have to live under a dashmat for the rest of its life.
    Thanks Chris. I hadn't thought of MDF! I don't much like the look either, but it is a neat-looking job and a huge improvement over what I have at present..... I wonder whether he kept drawings or exact dimensions of what he did?

It would be much easier to fix with the windscreen out too.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I have a spare complete dash maybe a mould could be taken and a ricey kevlar carbon fibre overlay made any demand out there I also have a spare half reasonable dash mat
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    I have a spare complete dash maybe a mould could be taken and a ricey kevlar carbon fibre overlay made any demand out there I also have a spare half reasonable dash mat
    Thanks David. I'd like to borrow the dashmat sometime as a template, once I've seen it in place to see whether I want it the same. No rush.

The mould idea has merit - we should follow up sometime. All I want is something strong and thin to glue over the top of the whole horrible thing but look much the same!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thanks David. I'd like to borrow the dashmat sometime as a template, once I've seen it in place to see whether I want it the same. No rush.

The mould idea has merit - we should follow up sometime. All I want is something strong and thin to glue over the top of the whole horrible thing but look much the same!

Cheers
    A template would be great.

As would a glue on mould for the dash, sounds like a relatively quick fix, I would be interested in two, possibly three.

A template would be great.

As would a glue on mould for the dash, sounds like a relatively quick fix, I would be interested in two, possibly three.
    It's a good thought isn't it. I suspect we could sell quite a few once we had a mould and a technology to make the overlays.

Does anyone know how we would go about it? Imagine a complete dashboard on the living room floor. We need a professional mould taking and then a series of thin, rigid, strong shells making from the mould, suitable for glueing onto the cracked dash elements of (all) BXs (in Australia). I guess you'd use the right adhesive, weighted down while it cured.

Sounds easy in principle.

Harder in practice!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

So I called up O'Brien about BX windscreens.. They have three in the country (2 in Sydney, 1 in Tasmania) and they're $628 each for the windscreen sans fitting..

Luckily KenW had managed to pull a windscreen out of a wrecked car we have, so I didn't have to worry about that.

O'Brien charge $233 for a reseal where you supply the screen, they remove the broken one and fit the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post

Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks Chris,

I had Dave from ABC out today to fit the screen we had and he's done a great job as far as I can tell, very professional and also a nice bloke to chat to.
    You're right too, he was cheap! $90 for what O'Brein would have charged $233 for.
    I didn't ask him to source a BX windscreen but I'm sure it wouldn't have been too much trouble.
    So thanks for the tip, saved me $143!

I believe that dashmat was borrowed from my daughter some years ago so a template could be made of it. Now you want to give it away. No scruples.
    DS 21
    C4 HDI
    Piaggio Fly 125

Icon12

Thanks Chris,

I had Dave from ABC out today to fit the screen we had and he's done a great job as far as I can tell, very professional and also a nice bloke to chat to.
    You're right too, he was cheap! $90 for what O'Brein would have charged $233 for.
    I didn't ask him to source a BX windscreen but I'm sure it wouldn't have been too much trouble.
    So thanks for the tip, saved me $143!
    That's great, you owe me two bottles of scotch

He's a gem if you live in the Brisbane area

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Icon11 its still waiting at my place

Quote Originally Posted by arunine View Post
    I believe that dashmat was borrowed from my daughter some years ago so a template could be made of it. Now you want to give it away. No scruples.
    Tried and Tried to contact you really and it does not have any kangaroo fur on it
    I had to pick it up from the trimmer finally with 2 new ones one now on my car
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=J

While you guys are watching, have you ANY idea where they hid the horn? Mine has stopped working and I simply can't find the thing. I expected somewhere odd at the front but nothing I can see though has a horn behind it.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
    It probably fell off ,that is why you cannot find it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    It probably fell off ,that is why you cannot find it LOL
    The horms (plural) were found eventually. They hide in front of the inner mudguard plastic thingy behind the grill. After disconnecting and reconnecting everything, including the switch, they didn't work.

After a drive they did work and still do. Dirty connection somewhere.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

ARCHRIVAL

I sent you quite a few messages on here over the last couple of years asking if i could get my dashmat back from you. I lent it to Geoffrey to get a couple more dash mats made, then you offered to collect them when he got sick, and organise for mine to get back to me.
    I will be coming to Perth in a couple of weeks so i could finally pick it up from you. If you PM me on aussiefrogs to organise where to collect it from,or Im going to try make it to the ACE meeting on the 20th so that might be easier. Let me know please Archrival
    2011 Citroen DS3 Sport 1.6THP
    1997 Citroen Xantia Estate

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information