Advice on new C4 keys
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon8 Advice on new C4 keys

Hi all

I'm hoping for some feedback and advice here. I recently bought a new C4 diesel and am generally very happy with it except for one thing. It was only supplied new with a single functioning key (a second 'emergency' key was supplied with no remote functions).

Having shelled out for a new car I was frankly appalled that only one key was supplied - when I asked the dealer for a second one they said 'that'll be $300 thanks'. I said no thanks.

I tried to contact Citroen about it but all I got back was a very unhelpful email from someone called Mohamad who while purporting to work for Citroen in fact works for a company called SOS International. Anyway, he said basically tough luck we won't give you another key you should have negotiated that at the time of purchase. Now, am I being silly here or should I have somehow known that I would only be given one key?

Does anyone know how I can make contact with someone who actually works for Citroen?

Can anyone tell me if I am being unreasonable here in thinking that the $300 cost for a second key is a total gouge? I mean the cost of the parts of the key would be about $20 at the absolute most.

There is only one place you can put a non-remote key on the C4 and that is on the passenger door. No lock on the drivers door (presumably because they haven't bothered to change from the left-hand-drive configuration). So that means if you have two drivers you have to constantly pass the key from one to the other. I would have thought that a company like Citroen, who aims at the prestige market, would pay more attention to the details like this.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

Guy

Advertisement

Tadpole

Agree, what a silly way for Citroen to save cost, that was my thought when getting our C4, I have just got a complete new key for the daughters 8 year old commodore and that was $100 from the local shoe/key man.
    $300 from Citroen I can believe that, once you do find a cheaper supplier can you let the rest of us know and not just the empty shell once from ebay for $25

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by guykb View Post
    Hi all

I'm hoping for some feedback and advice here. I recently bought a new C4 diesel and am generally very happy with it except for one thing. It was only supplied new with a single functioning key (a second 'emergency' key was supplied with no remote functions).

Having shelled out for a new car I was frankly appalled that only one key was supplied - when I asked the dealer for a second one they said 'that'll be $300 thanks'. I said no thanks.

I tried to contact Citroen about it but all I got back was a very unhelpful email from someone called Mohamad who while purporting to work for Citroen in fact works for a company called SOS International. Anyway, he said basically tough luck we won't give you another key you should have negotiated that at the time of purchase. Now, am I being silly here or should I have somehow known that I would only be given one key?

Does anyone know how I can make contact with someone who actually works for Citroen?

Can anyone tell me if I am being unreasonable here in thinking that the $300 cost for a second key is a total gouge? I mean the cost of the parts of the key would be about $20 at the absolute most.

There is only one place you can put a non-remote key on the C4 and that is on the passenger door. No lock on the drivers door (presumably because they haven't bothered to change from the left-hand-drive configuration). So that means if you have two drivers you have to constantly pass the key from one to the other. I would have thought that a company like Citroen, who aims at the prestige market, would pay more attention to the details like this.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

Guy
    Many of the larger locksmiths have device that can read and duplicate your existing key.

I have it done for my son's Honda Legend. Cost was around $150.00.
    I'm not sure about Cit keys 'tho.

don

Hi My C4 only came with 1 remote and 1 chip key but thats standard issue.

You can buy second hand remote fobs on ebay.co.uk
    I picked one up with chip and resonably good fob case for $42 AU
    The re pogramming is still down to a dealer, but this option is heaps cheaper. There are two key styles and two fob types so be very exact with your purchase

Thread Information