C4 buying questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C4 buying questions

Hi Frogs!

Im very close to purchasing a 2005 C4 2 liter auto and i was wondering if A) im making a mistake and should stick to japanese cars and B) how expensive is it to run, eg, service and parts cost. Being from the UK i'd obviously be happy with on citreon, but is owning one over here difficult or expensive?

Is it a fun car to drive and own?

Advertisement

Any info would be very useful.

Thanks

TRT

Default This is a repeat of what I posted elsewhere, but

Quote Originally Posted by koolerking View Post
    Hi Frogs!

Any info would be very useful.

Thanks
    This will give you a guide to service costs. If you have friendly mechanic you can do a lot better than this.

http://www.carservice.com.au/car-ser...&modelid=11623
    Last edited by TRT; 2nd April 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Better URL

Tadpole

Thanks, thats interesting. It seem sa Citroen isn't any more expensive to service then any other manufacture. I hear prestige is a good place to go in sydney?

Is the 2 litre a good engine with the auto? Im looking at a deal near 12k for a 2005 c4 model with 45,000k on the clock. Im thinking this is quite good, especially with all the extras you get on it, full airbags, cruise control, speed limiter, auto headlights, etc.
    Last edited by koolerking; 2nd April 2011 at 10:59 PM.

Fellow Frogger

Personally, I'd want the 2.0 HDi from the C4 range, but that would cost you about double.

The 2.0 petrol is fine in the C4, but look out for cooling system leaks, ensure the cruise control works, the gearbox changes properly (i.e no slipping, no heavy thumps, but don't expect it to be the smoothest gearbox you've ever encountered) and generally make sure everything works and looks as it should. Also, check when the timing belt is due as it must be close on age alone and I forget the actual specified interval. If it has a glass roof, be aware of what your insurance policy covers as these are expensive to replace and you do not want to be paying for it yourself.

For another 10K, if you can afford it, you can currently buy a new 1.6 petrol (i.e. the new EP6 engine) with 0km and a new car warranty.

TRT

Default Don't forget the price of new cars

Thanks, thats interesting. It seem sa Citroen isn't any more expensive to service then any other manufacture. I hear prestige is a good place to go in sydney?

Is the 2 litre a good engine with the auto? Im looking at a deal near 12k for a 2005 c4 model with 45,000k on the clock. Im thinking this is quite good, especially with all the extras you get on it, full airbags, cruise control, speed limiter, auto headlights, etc.
    Don't forget Citroen are getting rid of their old 2010 stock at the moment. Some good deals - see http://www.citroen.com.au/default.as...rticle&ID=1029

New petrol 1.6L C4 = $23,000 drive away (although I think diesel is better at $27,000)
    New petrol C3 = $20,000 drive away

Although even at that price the depreciation is pretty bad on a new Cit. You can expect to lose 50% of value in 2 years.

don

Check ebay there is a 2005 VTS with only 61K at valley auctions with all the options seems very good value and also a VTS at a local Lambton dealer with only 55K which I had a Look at Tidy and worth the money but much cheaper than the one you are looking at

Tadpole

must have been driven on sundays by little old lady........or sat at the workshop, sorry that's of no help, but there were some issue's with the earlier model, make sure you check the log book and if there is any chance to contact the original owner, their name should be in the hand book, then do it.
    Not sure what state you live in, but check carsales.com.au red 2008 C4 HDI for 16K

Cheers

Tadpole

Thanks for all the info. I had an email from the not so friendly dealer. The timing belts haven't been done and they would do the, for a charge, but he wouldn't go lower than 13k for the car so i think from you guys are saying, and generally looking around, i can find a better deal!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by flightdeck View Post
    but there were some issue's with the earlier model, make sure you check the log book

Cheers
    Hi,

I was meaning to ask, what sort of things should you look out for on the 2005/6 model C4's?

Cheers

We ran a 2005 1.6 C4 manual until last year. It leaked a/c water into the cabin when new, the clutch developed a light shudder after 20,000km, a rear seat belt buckle failed, the cruise control/limiter switches were becoming unreliable (needed to be wiggled a few times then would work again for a bit), the driver's electric window became intermittently ineffective and there were a couple of rattles that came and went. It was light on tyres and front brake pads but went through a set of rears in 30,000km.

It was cheaper to service than our Subaru but slightly more expensive than our BMWs over the first 3-4 years (using main dealers). Overall it proved a reliable car, quite nice to drive, lovely interior and design but felt a bit flimsy structurally to be honest. The 2 litres may have issues with their (dreadful) autos moving forwards from here.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    We ran a 2005 1.6 C4 manual until last year. It leaked a/c water into the cabin when new, the clutch developed a light shudder after 20,000km, a rear seat belt buckle failed, the cruise control/limiter switches were becoming unreliable (needed to be wiggled a few times then would work again for a bit), the driver's electric window became intermittently ineffective and there were a couple of rattles that came and went. It was light on tyres and front brake pads but went through a set of rears in 30,000km.

It was cheaper to service than our Subaru but slightly more expensive than our BMWs over the first 3-4 years (using main dealers). Overall it proved a reliable car, quite nice to drive, lovely interior and design but felt a bit flimsy structurally to be honest. The 2 litres may have issues with their (dreadful) autos moving forwards from here.
    Hhhm,

Interesting information, thank you. Im trying not to be taken with the "toys" such as speed limiters, auto on headlights and all the other things you get with the C4. I hate to mention the "F" word, but im also looking into the little fiat punto with the diesel engine, and so far im leaning towards that. The C4 are nice looking though!

TRT

The actual service costs are no more expensive, especially if you're just after oil/oil filters for routine servicing. But if you need to replace faulty parts they will cost you around twice as much as a Commode or Falcon.

I would never discount a Punto. Very reliable cars and there are a few well under 10k and they are around the 3005/2006 year mark. I have driven 2 and love them.

Tadpole

You've probably got a shiney new car by now, but I'll send my comments just in case (the forum wasn't letting me post a reply for the last 4 days). Having owned a 2006 Citroen C4 VTR 2.0 for the last five years, I can certainly recommend one. Reliability so far as been perfect. For a while a rear window rattled a bit over bumps, but that problem hasn't come back.

I can tell you exactly what the servicing costs have been. I've got the service history in front of me because I'm selling the car (just upgraded to a C5). Its services have cost $320, $540, $1259 and $1382 to date. Tyres can be expensive for the 17inch alloys (part of the $1259 service) and also new front discs on that last service (a bit surprising as the car has only done 41000k). However it has never let me down and feels well built.

Before buying the C5 I test drove an Alfa Giulietta, expecting it to make the C4 feel a bit old and tired. But it didn't, and the C4 interior was a much nicer place to climb back into. The handling is good and the engine is fine, but not thrilling.

I'm also a big fan of Fiats, but the Punto certainly doesn't have the cool cabin of the C4 (but there again not many cars do). Anyway better stop rambling on & hope you find something nice. My C4 details are here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....T#ht_560wt_922

Quote Originally Posted by TRT View Post
    The actual service costs are no more expensive, especially if you're just after oil/oil filters for routine servicing. But if you need to replace faulty parts they will cost you around twice as much as a Commode or Falcon.
    you must be kidding - unless you go to a non dealership service centre the costs are about DOUBLE the average car. I know. I've got one and had three others.

Thread Information