C5 sudden wobble
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 sudden wobble

Earlier today, my 2007 C5 suddenly developed a bad wobble on the left-hand side front wheel at around 50 kmph. Thinking I had a flat (no indication of loss of pressure though), I stopped by the road side and did a visual check - nothing wrong. Drove further up gingerly, noticed wobble everytime the car hit a bump, as though the shocks had failed. Entered a carpark, did cit-aerobics, twice, and then driving off, the problem had disappeared. Weird. Anyone experience this? Any possible explanations?

Cheers,

Gabriel.

Advertisement

Gee, thats a good way to destroy confidence in your car, like how do you go driving just a foot away from a potential head on colision if something fails when you are in the lane closest to the centre line.

Sounds like your car needs some proper air time on a hoist to check every nut and bolt, ball joint and suspension mount.
    In mean time, I'd park it in the garage and leave it there.

Jo

Tadpole

Yes, I know. But seeing it was more like an up-n-down wobble rather than a sideways one, I thought maybe there was an issue with the ride height control or something to do with hydraulics.

Took it to Lance Dixon earlier today, who after some test driving and checking the steering, found nothing wrong - everything is as tight as could be. The only thing the mech found was that the hydraulic fluid was a bit on the low side, so he topped it up.

I'll keep my senses about should it happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCinque View Post
    Yes, I know. But seeing it was more like an up-n-down wobble rather than a sideways one, I thought maybe there was an issue with the ride height control or something to do with hydraulics.

Took it to Lance Dixon earlier today, who after some test driving and checking the steering, found nothing wrong - everything is as tight as could be. The only thing the mech found was that the hydraulic fluid was a bit on the low side, so he topped it up.

I'll keep my senses about should it happen again.
    Any noises going with the wobble?

Drive shaft problems have been known to cause weird effects in the steering.

I hate to state the obvious but are the wheel nuts tight?

Tadpole

Wheel nuts and the wheel itself was the first thing I checked by the roadside, tried to shake it end-to-end to see if there was something loose - it was quite firm and tight. The mech repeated the same exercise today.

Fact is, it happened for about 5 secs, as though the section of the road (I know its quite smooth having driven on it often), had those "speed-breaker" strips one sees at approaches to a roundabout, on the left hand side. Starting off after above checks, it did another set of smaller bounces whenever it hit a depression on the road for about 500 mts, then seemed OK.

Stopped at a car-park, lowered and raised the suspension to full-height twice, thinking it was air in the hydraulics that caused the issue. It hasn't happened again, and its been some 50 kms ago.

So yes, will keep alert for the next couple of weeks. If it occurs again (and I do hope it is not on the freeway ) it will have to go up on a hoist to check for leakages and/or suction of air from any of the pipes and/or loose connections on the controllers, as I have suspicion its the hydraulics. Any other suggestions welcome.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Any noises going with the wobble?

Drive shaft problems have been known to cause weird effects in the steering.
    Hi,
    I would agree that driveshaft problems can cause weird effects. If a track chips off and the chip gets jammed for a while then it forces the suspension to move every turn. It then may drop out into the grease and hopefully never return. I have seen Kombi rear joints "lock up" and cause severe wobbles and then suddenly it cures itself and is "OK".

If you cannot find another reason then look at the CV joint on that side. Clean and regrease it or replace it. Highly unlikely to be the hydraulics I would think.

Tadpole

Default Possible issue with CV joint ...

Well, the C5 has started doing its jiggle again, and now there is a thumping sound coming in from the left front wheel once every revolution. I had a cursory look after getting the wheel off, and nothing seems to be loose and no strange bits stuck etc. The CV joint boots are tight and no grease splatters, so suspect something internal, possibly in the inner joint (engine side). Goes to the mechanic first thing tomorrow.
    Gabriel.

Tadpole

Confirmed. A damaged CV joint on the LHS driveshaft was causing the issue.

All OK now.

Thread Information