Buzzing Xantia roof lining...
  • Register
  • Help

Icon8 Buzzing Xantia roof lining...

Hi Folks,

Well, since I've been at home all week with a hellish cold and want to rid myself of guilt over not being at work (Protestant work ethic, perchance?...) I thought I'd bore you all with yet more queries...

Does any Xantia owner out there have an issue with their car's roof lining in that it buzzes whilst you are travelling over coarse aggregate roads?

My beloved Xantia does and - perhaps because I'm feeling lousy at the moment - it's driving me nuts!

Advertisement

If so, has anyone found any solutions - I'm loath to try and remove the headlining and stuff some insulation between the roof and the headlining as I know the whole arrangement is clipped on (and we know what happens when one tries to prize apart old clips...

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Now for some more coffee...

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed

I never had that issue with either of mine Andrew.

The only noise I had was from the left rear window which started to vibrate slightly...dropping it 1/2 cm sorted that out...

Hi Andrew,
    any luck yet? On my Xantia there was a vibration in the back when going over bumps. It turned out to be some of the screws were missing from the hatch trims on the sides of the hatch inside rear linings.
    I removed all the screws from a xantia at the wreckers, put them where they go in my car , problem solved.

Cheers...George 1/8th

Icon9

No George, this has been a problem I've had for quite a while.

It's not ever present mind you, if the road surface is not coarse aggregate, or it's a warm day, the roof lining is silent.

Also, if I press gently against the roof lining with my hand, any buzzing will stop.

At one stage I thought one of the mounting clips perhaps had come loose, or that the torx screws for one or more of the passenger grab handles had loosened - well, it wasn't that either.

Ideally I'd stuff some additional insulation between the roof and the roof lining, but that's easier said than done. If the roof lining was screwed on (a la Alfasud) it would be easy, however the Xantia, being far more modern in its construction, has plastic clips...

I'll keep thinking of possible solutions...

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed

Just a guess....

...but could it be the water tube for the rear wash/wipe?

Fellow Frogger

You may find the roof lining panel is also stuck to the roof panel with several beads of urethane type adhesive. If it's in the midle of the roof, then it may have let go and allows the lining panel to be 'loose' in that area so the urethane is tapping on the metal panel. A possibility???

Perhaps, you might locate the source of the noise more specifically with the help of an assistant? Should you be a magician, then you'd hopefully be lucky to have a pretty one! Then again, should you be a magician, you should have been able to make the noise vanish already.

Fellow Frogger!

Default x

in our 306 there was a small fan making a buzzing noise in the central locking /roof light console over the mirror is it coming from there?
    try lifting the cover and unplugging see if noise goes away

Icon14 Roof Console Buzzing

Hi,
    I just had this noise/buzzing from the roof console in my 1999 Peugeot 306XSi.
    Problem solved reasonably easily. Its a tiny 20mm fan related to the Air con/thermostat. In My car it was clagged with sticky gunk/fluff (possibly from prev owner a smoker?). Removing the console requires a thin flat blade screw driver to rhs of the interior light, lever it out, then a T15 to undo 2 screws holding it all to the roof. Then toothbrush and some electrical cleaner on the little fan, to clean it.. then reassemble. Hopefully your fan is OK (like mine) and was just dirty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buzzing Xantia roof lining...-dscf8103.jpg   Buzzing Xantia roof lining...-dscf8109.jpg   Buzzing Xantia roof lining...-dscf8108.jpg  
    Last edited by PaulRoper; 23rd October 2016 at 01:49 PM.

Thread Information