DS19 manual
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS19 manual

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default DS19 manual

This looks to be in really good condition .... and cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CITROEN-DS19-...item2c5baaf212

Advertisement
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    This looks to be in really good condition .... and cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CITROEN-DS19-...item2c5baaf212
    Well, that's one way to boost the value of a listing ;-)

At least it is now close to being a reasonable price.

Of course, then one needs the supplement from 1963 and so on and so forth.

Roger Wilko must be busy, otherwise I feel certain he would've made comment.

I could possibly have one of these manuals for sale, depending on the price achieved by the eBay auction. The relevent parts manual to suit also...

thought I would just add some value to my collection
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Default manual

i have a complete copy of this manual on cd in searchable pdf format if anyone wants a copy send me a pm

If anyone actually looks at the forum sticky they can download most of the D Series manuals.

However, the original paper is far more appealing for some of us.
    Indeed there are different versions which contain more information than the one currently for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by jackafrica View Post
    Well, that's one way to boost the value of a listing ;-)

At least it is now close to being a reasonable price.

Of course, then one needs the supplement from 1963 and so on and so forth.

Roger Wilko must be busy, otherwise I feel certain he would've made comment.

I could possibly have one of these manuals for sale, depending on the price achieved by the eBay auction. The relevent parts manual to suit also...
    Here's another manual listing, but it closes soon!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...sQ5fLiterature

My bad, the seller doesn't state he ships internationally.
    Last edited by wiley_coyote; 31st March 2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added information

Quote Originally Posted by wiley_coyote View Post
    Here's another manual listing, but it closes soon!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...sQ5fLiterature

My bad, the seller doesn't state he ships internationally.
    Not enough information provided to make any informed opinion on the content of the manual ( which after all is what it's about ), shipping from the US is expensive to Australia in the size of these manuals.

A potentially expensive punt.

In both cases, enough information has been provided for someone who knows those manuals to work out which they are. Both are the later, plastic covered type. I know of only two versions of it, and here we have one of each. The first one, mentioned by Shane, is from early 1960 and contains 475 pages of text. The second one, in the USA, is from September 1962 and has 545 pages of text. The earlier one used to be on the download site; recently it has been replaced by the later one (my copy, scanned by Joe Hovel). The later one is better. Only a complete manual anorak would want both. If the anorak were a complete manual fruit-loop he would also complete the set with all four earlier, cloth-covered manuals (from 1957, 1958, 1959 and 1960); these earlier manuals had completely different operation numbers from the later versions. And if he were completely certifiable he would also have the few pages of typescript that were stapled together in 1956 to serve as a "repair manual" before the first edition was produced in 1957.

Interestingly, the illustrations in the two manuals are framed differently on the page. The earlier one has no border; the later one has a border.

Sorry, I got carried away. Is anyone actually interested in these minute details?

Roger

DS

sorry, i got carried away. Is anyone actually interested in these minute details?
    always!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post

Sorry, I got carried away. Is anyone actually interested in these minute details?

Roger
    Ahh, in the distance, is that the sound of an anorak?

We both know the differences. What hasn't been mentioned is that of the later edition, indeed there are differences. I have two copies now of the later edition and they are decideedly different.
    The page number counts are the same, though one finishes on a left side page and the other a right side. This of course is at page 546, seat belts.

Ahh, the comforting sound of a fellow anorak.

Then we have the three versions of the English air/water brochure, but that's another story.
    Last edited by richo; 2nd April 2011 at 11:34 PM.

I didn't know there were different versions of the later DS19 repair manual. We'll have to compare them some time.

One thing that baffles me is that the most recent cloth covered DS19 repair manual seems to have been produced no earlier than the first plastic covered manual, yet they are set completely differently.

Another thing that intrigues me is that the ID19 repair manuals (I know of 3 versions) and the DS19 repair manuals (6 versions) seems to have been produced by different people or teams and they are not simply copies of each other where relevant.

Roger

Roger,
    We're both paper collectors. If only time were such we could waste hours, engrossed in the nuances. More so than we have done in times past. Over a Roger Wilko 24 Hour Sultana Cake of course.

Fellow Frogger!

I have a few of these that I think I will sell also.
    It is hard to decide a fair price.

Repair manuals
    1x cloth red ID DS 19 ( 1963 models ?) fair condition
    2x plastic red ID DS - good condition
    1x plastic blue ID 19 1962 model

1x red paper ID 19 ( no 529 - 1966 edition for ID 19 1967 model )

1x in french red paper " Catelogue Des Pieces Detachees " Fevrier 1958 - for ID 19 1957

3 spare parts catelogues
    1x ID 19 blue plastic for break commercial and familiale
    1x ID 19
    1x DS 21

Should I try here or go directly to E-bay ?
    cheers
    Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I have a few of these that I think I will sell also.
    It is hard to decide a fair price.

Repair manuals
    1x cloth red ID DS 19 ( 1963 models ?) fair condition
    2x plastic red ID DS - good condition
    1x plastic blue ID 19 1962 model

1x red paper ID 19 ( no 529 - 1966 edition for ID 19 1967 model )

1x in french red paper " Catelogue Des Pieces Detachees " Fevrier 1958 - for ID 19 1957

3 spare parts catelogues
    1x ID 19 blue plastic for break commercial and familiale
    1x ID 19
    1x DS 21

Should I try here or go directly to E-bay ?
    cheers
    Hawk
    A better description would be helpful and attract the attention of the paper hounds such as Roger and I.
    Publication number and date of publication, number of pages and whether ID or DS or both.

There's a couple I'm certain Roger and I would like.
    I'm sure I speak also for Roger in one regard, we both have given manuals to those in need, gratis. Even paid postage overseas in one case.

Sell here and you set the price and who gets what. Ebay and it's the biggest wallet wins. The choice of course is yours.

Hello Ted,

It's hard to know what is a fair price. Prices for those manuals go up and down depending on supply and demand. The price that DS19 repair manual Shane mentioned seems extremely high to me. An auction does allow the market to set the price. And in this case the market has set a high price.

Generally, later manuals seem to sell for higher prices than earlier ones, I suppose because the later cars are more popular than the earlier ones. Many manuals are scanned and available on the internet for free download, so the only buyers for original hardcopy manuals are people who are either not on the internet or do not know about the manuals, or people like me who just like to have the original paper manuals.

If you wish to sell your manuals to someone who knows the difference between the manuals you will have to describe them more clearly. This means manual number and publication date, where shown on the front page. If these are not shown, then number of pages is helpful.

I am aware of 6 editions of the DS19 repair manual number 465 (4 cloth, 1957, 1958, 1959 and 1960, all dated; 2 plastic, 1960 of 475 text pages and 1962 of 454 text pages, neither dated, altough the 1962 does mention that date on the front page), 3 editions of the ID19 repair manual number 472 (2 cloth, neither dated, one about 1958 of 317 text pages if I recall correctly and one about 1961 of 329 text pages; 1 plastic and undated but again mentions September 1962 on the front page, I can't remember number of pages), 5 editions of the DS19 parts catalogue number 466 (3 cloth, 1956, 1958, 1960; 2 plastic, 1962 and 1964; updates were issued for all of these at about 3 or 4 month intervals, whilst the 1964 edition had additions up to about 1966), and 5 editions of the ID19 parts catalogue number 470 (3 cloth, 1957, 1958, 1960; 2 plastic, 1962, 1964; similar update story to the DS19 parts catalogue).

Your descriptions need to be more accurate, too: red cloth covered repair manuals were for only DS19, not ID19, and they were for 1960 and earlier. Only one red plastic covered repair manual was for both ID19 and DS19, that was number 498, the 1963 supplement for both DS19 and ID19, and it was a lighter red than the earlier plastic covered DS19 repair manuals.

The break spare parts catalogue is number 479, presumably dated 1963.

Is the DS21 parts catalogue number 519, also including DS19A, in red plastic cover with an A4 format?

My friend Carter Willey in the USA says if you are a real manual nut you will want both French and English parts catalogues. I have a few French ones and the illustrations seem to be the same. Carter says the descriptions of the parts sometimes vary between languages so it is worth having French ones too. I think you would have to be a complete manual nut like me to bother.

Ted, I am not trying to criticise your descriptions. I am telling you some relevant stuff that I know and asking for some clarification.

Cheers,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Hello Ted,

It's hard to know what is a fair price.

I am aware of 6 editions of the DS19 repair manual number 465 (4 cloth, 1957, 1958, 1959 and 1960, all dated; 2 plastic, 1960 of 475 text pages and 1962 of 454 text pages, neither dated, altough the 1962 does mention that date on the front page), 3 editions of the ID19 repair manual number 472 (2 cloth, neither dated, one about 1958 of 317 text pages if I recall correctly and one about 1961 of 329 text pages; 1 plastic and undated but again mentions September 1962 on the front page, I can't remember number of pages), 5 editions of the DS19 parts catalogue number 466 (3 cloth, 1956, 1958, 1960; 2 plastic, 1962 and 1964; updates were issued for all of these at about 3 or 4 month intervals, whilst the 1964 edition had additions up to about 1966), and 5 editions of the ID19 parts catalogue number 470 (3 cloth, 1957, 1958, 1960; 2 plastic, 1962, 1964; similar update story to the DS19 parts catalogue).

Cheers,
    Roger
    Well, I should confess to buying it for the interest. It is indeed red and plastic, and has no numbers or dates that I can find but 475 pages of text.

It is right up there with the contemporary Renault manuals in its lovely engineering drafting and I will learn more about DS systems this way.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I've got two copies of the ID version, as well as one for the ds19 pre 1962. should be notes in there somewhere about which model it will cover which should give indication to it's print date.

I pad $40nz for the ds one i think, and $20 each for the two id ones.

Thread Information