Climate control dead
  • Register
  • Help

Default Climate control dead

Hi folks

My climate control on the C5 has given up the ghost, it did have intermitant hiccups where it would stop for 2 minutes then continue, but now it has stopped the symptoms are that when i start up the motor the fan icon portrays the normal 2 blades solid colour then it will go outline so that no fan operation at all, but also a slight smell of an electronic cooking smell, question is in a step by step way how do I get to the fan & any circut boaurds so that I can investigate the cause (& repair) please

Advertisement

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Leanmor View Post
    Hi folks

My climate control on the C5 has given up the ghost, it did have intermitant hiccups where it would stop for 2 minutes then continue, but now it has stopped the symptoms are that when i start up the motor the fan icon portrays the normal 2 blades solid colour then it will go outline so that no fan operation at all, but also a slight smell of an electronic cooking smell, question is in a step by step way how do I get to the fan & any circut boaurds so that I can investigate the cause (& repair) please
    Have a look here...
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=931612

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks Chris that points me in a direction I will let know how it goes.

Default Climate control better

Hi folks just an update, pulled out the fan speed module & the 12v suply connection was badly affected by heat therefore losing the connection, re-soldered the connection & checked the fuse which was ok & the climate control is now working, however the heatsink does get very warm so I was thinking of replacing the mosfet, question does it normally get that hot? or is there another cause that needs investigation?

Cheers or bon jour (whatever)

Fellow Frogger

If the socket and/or plug have melted and look burnt, then you need to replace them as it will cause a local high resistance that can overheat the pins and break their soldered joint at the module's circuit board. You can remove the cover, cut away the damaged pins/socket and solder in some heavy wire and bypass the plug on the loom. It uses a lot of current, so the heatsink has obviously been sized for the task and the components are likely to get hot.

Default Plan B

Thanks for that David but I think that plan b will be to get hold of another fan speed unit whether that is 2nd hand I don't know but its name will but Justin.

Oh btw does anybody know where I could get a 2nd hand fan speed unit from??

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Leanmor View Post
    Thanks for that David but I think that plan b will be to get hold of another fan speed unit whether that is 2nd hand I don't know but its name will but Justin.

Oh btw does anybody know where I could get a 2nd hand fan speed unit from??
    A used part which is probably in the same, if not in worse condition you mean?.
    Try replacing the silicone heat transfer compound under the mosfet. Works for me.

[QUOTE=shanadoo;942599]A used part which is probably in the same, if not in worse condition you mean?.
    Try replacing the silicone heat transfer compound under the mosfet. Works for me. [/QUOTE

These things fail so often I'm surprised no one has removed the MOSFET/s off the existing heat sink and fitted flying leads so they can be mounted to an external heat sink, such a big thick piece of aluminium or a heavy duty heat sink from Jaycar or Altronics.

After all, all that is needed is to improve the heat dissipation. Get rid of the heat and problem will cease.

Are the MOSFETS TO 92 or TO3 package?

Default Possible replacement part from China

Hi guys

I have managed to find a supplier for the fan blower unit from a mob called Topont, has anybody heard of these guys? is it a good idea to get these units sent out for a possible replacement for my sick climate control? I,ll see if I can attach the pics that they sent me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Climate control dead-blowerunit2.jpg   Climate control dead-blowerunit.jpg  

Tadpole

Default Fan Controller

These units are available from European Auto Imports (03) 9899 6683. Mine cost me $165 plus freight and was in Port Macquarie o/night from Melb. Will fit it tomorrow, see how I go...

John

Fellow Frogger

You might find Citroen are more competitive on this part now. I know they cut the price on the part recently, so it may be worth the phone call.

I'd like to repeat that if the socket is burnt or melted, replacing the module is not likely to fix it permanently. If there is any burning or melting, you need to address it and you can often repair by soldering wires to the board instead of buying a new module.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    You might find Citroen are more competitive on this part now. I know they cut the price on the part recently, so it may be worth the phone call.

I'd like to repeat that if the socket is burnt or melted, replacing the module is not likely to fix it permanently. If there is any burning or melting, you need to address it and you can often repair by soldering wires to the board instead of buying a new module.
    In my case, all that was fried was the plug-on terminal at the end of the wire, not the board. Replaced plug, all OK. Lucky I'd say.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Default Update

Hi folks

Got hold of a new unit from Prestige formula for $176.00 priced the same thing from Peugoet at $185.00

FYI

Thread Information