Some things you just seem to regret...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Some things you just seem to regret...

Looking at photos of my short ownership of a D Special yesterday made me ask if I really was making the best choice when I sold it. I had no idea of the history of the car and found out later that I was the second owner. The number plates were original and the owner of the '72 model bought it brand new and then traded it in shortly before I spotted it on ebay.
    The reason for selling it was a "sensible" choice to swap it for a suitable vehicle to continue my own landscaping/ gardening business and give the little GS wagon a break...hang on it is a break...anyway it was about to break Lugging a 6x4 trailer with 1/2m3 of mulch was not good for the fading GS clutch and it just isn't what I intended for the poor little car.
    Anyway, I suppose everyone here has sold a car and thought later that it wasn't the best idea. The problem is when I have a D I want a CX and when I have a CX......

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some things you just seem to regret...-d-special-fl.jpg  

I can imagine how you feel, Andy.

The car you bought sounded like a really good one. Hopefully another good one will be available when you're ready to have one again.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Fellow Frogger!

Default Some things you just seem to regret...

Yep,sure do. Not long after we moved up north I had a phone call from one of my best mates who had a wreckers yard.He had found for me "one of those D's that go up & down, carby's & manual gearbox. just needs a coat of paint,We've been driving it around all over the place& it goes great"
    We were stoney broke & I couldn't justify selling the reliable XF & replace it with an "unknown quantity" as the D would have been.
    Not long after that we found out that he had terminal cancer & now I neither the mate or the car which would have been a great reminder of him every time I got into it
    Sh#t happens some times. Dave RIP " cruisy"

I liked looking at the D I had...and enjoyed the work I did on it. I got to know the car very well, but after a lifetime of CXs, a D just didn't deliver the ride I liked (plus I didn't feel it was as safe / solid)

All that being said....I still enjoy looking at them....and never say never
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

I guess you might think "there will be another one out there" and it is pretty much right and I will have another D one day soon. I guess that I was a bit scared of the rust that I found in the roof sills and the side sections. It was nothing major and really the best part was that it was overall a very complete, original and solid car. And a one owner car since 1972! There will be another one but they all seem to need a huge amount of work or are frighteningly expensive. I need to find something in the middle like this one. Yeah bring on the stories too it's good to know that I'm not the only one that has given away something special.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Nah .... I dont' know that feeling ..... I've never sold a "proper" Citroen .... Why would I want to sell one? Once it's mine .... it's ALL MINE

I'm more than happy to get rid of the PSA era cars though. Anyone wanna buy an XM ?? ........... Oh hang on, if I sell that what on earth would I replace it with, on second thoughts we'll hang onto it until something major dies then throw it away.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Imagine if you did keep all the cars you ever owned! I think I would have a backyard that looked a bit like Shane's!

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N View Post
    Imagine if you did keep all the cars you ever owned! I think I would have a backyard that looked a bit like Shane's!
    Or, depending upon how you drive, a backyard like a wreckers.

John

I regret selling my DS 19, but the circumstances around that time were not good, and I wasn't to know that only a month later I could've easily kept it garaged and could've started getting it ready for a restoration. At least I got to drive it a bit - and that was a lot of fun...

I sold my GS Rotary because I couldn't afford the fuel prices, so as soon as ULP went to $1 a litre, I ditched it. Not a very smart move. Maybe Charles still has his rotary set-up laying around and I could do it all again...

I could go on and on, but rest assured Andy, you're not alone.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

I feel all of your pain....

....from my Renault 12's, 16TS, Triumph 2500TC and Xantia's....

The only cars I don't really regret 'moving on', was my CX - no matter how much lov$ I gave that car, it just wouldn't stay reliable....and my Renault 21 - in my mind, one of the biggest lumps of poo I've ever owned...

...and I'm about to do battle with the 'do I don't I conscience god' in the next week or so as the GS has to go....before I get shot.

That'll leave me with an everyday car - Holden Viva wagon (stop sniggering you lot - its unfailingly reliable). Ollie, my Morris 1100 's' automatic who is rarer than a GS and never fails to make me smile....and the DS23 currently being sorted....

I know that from the moment the GS goes, I'm going to regret it. It isn't often that you get the opportunity to own a car that's been fettled by a mechanic for his son and is one of a few that have had that treatment including wider rear arches concealing 195x15's on widened GS rims...not to mention a GSA 1299cc and 5spd....

Keep your eyes peeled....froggers get first option...

Emo

there's a reason why Morris 1100's are rare
    Cheers ,
    Tim

'98 Xantia Activa
    '57 Pontiac Superchief

Default I'm with Shane

But which one do I work on first and every day brings another license renewal
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Nah .... I dont' know that feeling ..... I've never sold a "proper" Citroen .... Why would I want to sell one? Once it's mine .... it's ALL MINE

I'm more than happy to get rid of the PSA era cars though. Anyone wanna buy an XM ?? ........... Oh hang on, if I sell that what on earth would I replace it with, on second thoughts we'll hang onto it until something major dies then throw it away.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Icon9 You're echoing my plaintive cry, Ronhic...

..and I'm about to do battle with the 'do I don't I conscience god' in the next week or so as the GS has to go....before I get shot.
    and

know that from the moment the GS goes, I'm going to regret it.
    I'm in much the same boat, although it doesn't involve Citroens.

I have a 1983 Alfasud Ti which is a hoot to drive, but I don't have the time or physical energy to restore it, along with the 1971 Alfa Spider, keep the Xantia in tip-top shape, and finish the restoration of the 1958 Lambretta Li125 (with a 185cc racing motor I've built for it). That's not mentioning the two Moto Guzzis (an 850 Le Mans and a California 1100) I did up and previously owned before my bike accident.

I know if I sold the 'Sud I'd get a pittance for it, and I'd miss it, but not restoring it is not doing it justice. Being a mechanical perfectionist doesn't help, mind...

How on earth did I get to this stage of multiple ownership?

Where on earth can I store all this stuff (garage only fits two cars)? Why am I harbouring lustful thoughts over CXs, DSs and Lancia Fulvias when I don't even have the money I know I'll need to have them how I truly want?

Herein lies the sad tale of a classic car tragic...

All I know is that I ain't selling the Xantia, come Hell or high water...

Harrumph!

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    I regret selling my DS 19, but the circumstances around that time were not good, and I wasn't to know that only a month later I could've easily kept it garaged and could've started getting it ready for a restoration. At least I got to drive it a bit - and that was a lot of fun...
    I guess I regret the most not buying that DS19...
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    I guess I regret the most not buying that DS19...
    Not me... that's cars a "never restore" unless i can retire tomorrow and spend the next 5years on it I should have bought the DS19 Roger purchased a few years back It's a bloody ripper. Money is almost irrelevant if there car is that solid underneath

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I got quite good ID19 hull in the garage and I would like to use it for something...
    But to be honest that would have been too much for me at this point.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Fellow Frogger!

yes, been there done that. Sold a nice Pug 505 that I owned for 5 years and loved dearly.

Same goes to a 405 that saved me in a head-on. Sadly they put it back on the road after they cut and replaced the front of the chassis rail. As you can imagine, the car was never the same and I didn't want to run the risk of another accident with a dodgy repair job. so traded it on another car I loved, the 406 (surprisingly spotted the 405 recently in a car yard at Arncliffe). was off the lot in a week and had covered 130k more after the trade in!

I too loved the 406 and thoroughly enjoyed seven years of blissful ownership. At ten years old, decided perhaps it was time to update. Another love affair began with a manual C5. During the 406 ownership, I added a CX to the fleet and enjoyed her for seven years now.

Finances got tight in Jan and I tossed up whether to part with a car. C5 won out so put the CX up for sale with not a single nibble. So soldiered on, sorrted some things out and have kept both.

At a junction at the moment - keep the C5 or trade it whilst it's still worth something?

So explore the option of moving the C5 on - what do you replace a C5 5spd with when you seriously can't stomach an auto and like to keep the left leg employed to assist in changing gear?

Still mulling that one over and can't see myself finding a new C5 manual anywhere in this country.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew D; 31st March 2011 at 05:36 PM.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
    At a junction at the moment - keep the C5 or trade it whilst it's still worth something?

So explore the option of moving the C5 on - what do you replace a C5 5spd with when you seriously can't stomach an auto and like to keep the left leg employed to assist in changing gear?

Still mulling that one over and can't see myself finding a new C5 manual anywhere in this country.

If you wanted a new C5 manual, you'd have to explore making a special order I think. Probably best to keep the C5 manual you have. They are quite a different car to the auto with the same engine, certainly more enjoyable to drive and likely to appeal to a limited market.

Hopefully, decisions are made with the best info at hand, but punishing yourself with the benefit of hindsight can be an unpleasant experience. I regret scrapping or selling a number of cars I've owned. However, it's often best to leave them as a memory instead of ruining that memory by revisiting the reality of what will often now be justanother old car.

I have a feeling that at some stage in the future I am going to regret not buying the ID21 wagon (complete with roof rack) in completely original but mechanically reliable and roadworthy condition I saw last weekend. Whoever had owned the car had maintained it without getting silly about it.

They wanted 5000euro for it.

DS

Oh Andy you will regret it for the rest of your life!

I regret not keeping a 1961 ID19 Safari I once had. At the time there was simply nowhere to store an un-registered car.

Je ne regrette rien.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information