Citroen C3 Diesel Oil
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen C3 Diesel Oil

Hey everyone, I have a 2008 Citroen C3 Diesel bought in sept 09, I purchased it as a demo with 3000km, its only done 12000km since purchased, And it does not go in for its service until 20,000km.

The oil is abit low and was wondering what oil people use, and what oil people would recomend from experience or use.

Advertisement

I am not sure if you can buy the oil anywhere what they use at citroen. If so let me know.

Thanks for your help.

1000+ Posts

You bought it in September 2009 and it hasn't been serviced yet? The service interval is 12 months / 20000km so it should have been serviced and oil changed in September 2010, if not earlier, given it was a demo.

Don't top up the oil, change it.

Oil used is Total Quartz INEO ECS.

Tadpole

Sorry i bought it in sept 10, My mistake

Where can you find Total oil in Australia? my dealer mechanic use mobil 1 for my diesel C6.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Citroen C3 diesel

I agree with DeKa, it is imerative that you use the correct engine oil if you can't buy TOTAL, the next best oil is Mobil 1 ESP, useing the incorrect oil could VOID the Warrantee/ guarantee, btw if you can find anyone who sells Total oil let us know.

Tony

1000+ Posts

All Peugeot dealers sell the Total Quartz INEO ECS oil. It is cheaper than Mobil 1.. about $75 / 5L bottle.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Mobil 1 is cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
    All Peugeot dealers sell the Total Quartz INEO ECS oil. It is cheaper than Mobil 1.. about $75 / 5L bottle.
    I don't think it's cheaper.

The best price I could get on a 20L drum of Mobil 1 ESP was $250 with freight.

The best price I could get on Total Quartz Ineo ECS was $240 with freight for 15L.

Needless to say, I went Mobil 1 again.

Cheers :-)

TG

Fellow Frogger

The service interval for a C4 1.6 HDi has been discussed at length and the engine is the same unit. The 20K interval was later revised back to 15K and for cars sold new since mid 2010, I think you'd find it's now set at 10K. So, 20K may or may not suit your car. Ask your dealer.

A 5W30 low SAPS oil is what's required for cars with a particle filter. Most dealers should have the Total product in bulk. It's a suitable choice for many other models, including those without a FAP and most petrol engines from 2000 on with some exceptions.

Tadpole

Thanks very much for everyones help, I will call the dealer tommorow and see if i can buy the oil from them.

Apparently there's a shop that sell total oil in melbourne.
    PEAK LUBRICANTS PTY LTD
    43 Kitchen Road,
    Dandenong, Victoria 3175,
    Australia
    Tel: +61 (3) 9792 1999
    Fax: +61 (3) 9794 7727
    Email: [email protected]

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    I don't think it's cheaper.

The best price I could get on a 20L drum of Mobil 1 ESP was $250 with freight.

The best price I could get on Total Quartz Ineo ECS was $240 with freight for 15L.

Needless to say, I went Mobil 1 again.

Cheers :-)

TG
    In 5L bottles, Total is cheaper.

Fellow Frogger!

According to Ateco and also a couple of Cit dealers I have asked, the C3 doesn't have a particle filter, so the INEO ECS oil wouldn't be required.

Even the new C3 still doesn't have a particle filter! Ateco's customer info line told me "they have a catalytic converter instead" on Australian spec cars. (So they got crossed off my shopping list - we are looking to replace the partner's car, and it will be a diesel with particle filter.) Only C4 and up have a DPF.

I'd phone Ateco (the Citroen importer) and ask what oil they specify.

Of course there in nothing wrong with the Total Quartz INEO ECS oil, just that it isn't really needed in a car without a DPF, so the Total Quartz 9000 should do the job and be a few bob cheaper.
    Last edited by simca1100; 30th March 2011 at 04:11 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Since the C3 dosen't have a particulate filter, your oil choices are more flexible, but I would still try to use a 5W-30 ACEA C2 or C3 oil if possible (e.g. Elf Solaris LSX 5W-30, Liqui-Moly Top Tec 5W-30, Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30, Total Ineo Quartz ECS 5W-30, etc). Otherwise a 5W-30, 5W-40 or 0W-40 ACEA A3/B4 oil is acceptable.

In regards to service intervals, minor services are due every year, and major services every 2nd year. The intervals begin from the factory warranty start date, not purchase date.

This means your 2008 C3 should've had a minor service carried out in 2009, a major service in 2010, and is now due for a minor service again for 2011.

Assuming the C3 hasn't been serviced yet - practically speaking, the condition of the cabin filter, air filter and fuel filter might be okay because of the very low mileage, but the engine oil + oil filter (max. 1 year) and brake fluid (max. 2 years) are now long overdue.

Lower mileges and lots of city driving is actually bad for turbo diesel engines because of soot buildup. An "Italian tune up" is often recommended by many diesle car owners at least once during daily driving to free the turbine blades and blow out the buildups after engine has warmed up.
    I was quite concerned originally about the blackness of my motor oil even after a recent oil change but was informed by diesel owners that the oil gets dark rather quickly. Hope this helps
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Thread Information