Citroen C5 eggy smell
  • Register
  • Help

Default Citroen C5 eggy smell

Hi All

My 2003 C5 petrol has had a rattle from the catylytic convertor for the last two years which has been steadily getting worse. Today the anti-pollution warning came on and their was a strong smell of eggs coming from the car.

Also the car has been randomly cutting out for a few months now, but restarts immediately.

I have been told that the egg smell is a result of the cat on its way out.

iam I right in assuming I should replace the cat and this would fix the issue?

cheers

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Seems you need a new catalytic converter in any case if it rattles around inside the case, so perhaps address that first and then see what transpires.

Citroen in their infinate wisdom made the C5 system all one piece. so I will have to replace the whole system. I guess they never thought anything would go wrong.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by fluery View Post
    Citroen in their infinate wisdom made the C5 system all one piece. so I will have to replace the whole system. I guess they never thought anything would go wrong.
    Can I come and watch you write the cheque for that?

Tim

luckily a fellow frogger has a complete system for sale from a scrapped C5, otherwise I would need a large loan from the bank.

Fellow Frogger!

Well, a hacksaw and a suitable cat, anyway. Pity, I'd have enjoyed that.

Tim

Fellow Frogger

You'd take it to an exhaust workshop and get them to cut the pipes and fit an aftermarket catalytic converter. It may change the exhaust note slightly, but it should be fine if they fit a suitable sized unit. Preferably, get a stainless casing for a little more. Used may be OK, but you want some kind of assurance that it still has life left in it and hasn't been poisoned or cracked.

thanks david, thats a good option. will do some ringing around tommorrow

cheers

Fellow Frogger

Ignoring the smell symptom for a moment, are you sure it's the catalytic converter making all of the rattling noises? If the matrix has broken, you'll hear it rattling about and can replicate it by shaking the exhaust on a hoist. If it's a 2.0 petrol, then the manifold has a heat shield attached to it and this is prone to cracking with a resulting rattle/vibration. The fix is a new manifold, which isn't free, so many owners live with it.

Well, I have never heard of a cat laying eggs but there is a first time for everything.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

i had a mechanic check it out a while back and he confirmed it is the converter

just filled up (1/2 tank anyway) with BP diesel and the exhaust STINKS like rotten eggs! Has never done so before, and like a mug I called into a servo that I've never been to before and found out that I paid 8 cents/l more than the BP just up the road. Check the eggy smell isn't fuel is my tip. regards

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev414 View Post
    just filled up (1/2 tank anyway) with BP diesel and the exhaust STINKS like rotten eggs! Has never done so before, and like a mug I called into a servo that I've never been to before and found out that I paid 8 cents/l more than the BP just up the road. Check the eggy smell isn't fuel is my tip. regards
    Please stop mucking about and change the converter. The fumes are carcinogenic in case u didn't realize, and think about those poor fellow motorists following behind, and us motorcyclists.
    If a bike copper gets a good wiff on a bad day he's as likely to send you for a MR check. Or you may get stopped on a roadside MR inspection, in which case your exhaust emission will fail. Do the right thing and fix it mate.

Calm down chief. just wanna be sure thats the problem before shelling out my dosh

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by fluery View Post
    Calm down chief. just wanna be sure thats the problem before shelling out my dosh
    No offence meant, but 2yrs is a bit long to make up your mind old fellow.

If it rattles it's shot, if it still stinks after it get hot its past being shot. It's illegal. Not on a Cit please. If its shot it's not letting the gas get away, could be the result of it cutting out. Once stopped any back pressure would disperse instantly.

Thread Information