Changeing waterpump C5 when doing timing belt
  • Register
  • Help

Default Changeing waterpump C5 when doing timing belt

Good morning,

Advertisement

My C5 2.2TT is due for a timing belt change soon. Perhaps the knowledgeable and experienced members
    of the forum would advise me? Should I have the waterpump changed at the same time, and the idler pulley?

I am assuming that the waterpump runs from the timing belt, but my knowledge of these things is sketchy.

Thank you. Rossie.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 waterpump

It's a good idea to change the pump when you change the timining belt, lets say the pump died 10k after the belt change, your up for big dollars again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossie View Post
    Good morning,

My C5 2.2TT is due for a timing belt change soon. Perhaps the knowledgeable and experienced members
    of the forum would advise me? Should I have the waterpump changed at the same time, and the idler pulley?

I am assuming that the waterpump runs from the timing belt, but my knowledge of these things is sketchy.

Thank you. Rossie.
    If there's the slightest hint of leakage, replace the pump for sure.

If it looks perfectly OK, consider the total km - personally if it had done over 80,000 km I'd replace the pump even if it looked OK.

My friendly mechanic replaces idlers every second belt, but I honestly don't know.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Does anyone know how to tell if the mechanic has change the timing belt and the water pump by looking at the engine?

Thanks scarfjoin and John W for you replies. I guess replacement is the way to go. Hope they have one in Australia!!

Rossie

Fellow Frogger

Water pumps on engines driven by the timng belt are typically inexpensive relative to the labour required to get to them and change the timing belt. Replace it and consider the tensioner and roller too. It's a lot of work on say a petrol V6 just to get to a water pump.

Frogslegs: Some mechanics will place a sticker on the engine or cambelt cover indicating when the belt was changed. Without the invoices / service records, it could be hard to pick unless it was changed very recently and left a clean area in an otherwise grimy engine bay. You can look at the state of the belt, tensioner and rollers if they are accessible. If it's under, say, 5 years and the odometer is under the change pint, then it probably hasn't been done unless it needed a water pump. The sensible approach with most older, high km used cars past the change point is to assume it wasn't done and adjust the price accordingly unless you have good evidence that it was changed. If you don't trust a particular mechanic to do the job they are being paid for, you could ask for the parts, mark your parts before the job or change to another mechanic you can trust.

Thanks David for the information and advice. You're the best.

Thank you David S

Regards, Rossie

Or....you could do it yourself...then you KNOW it was done, and done properly.

I will change the pump and idler pulleys, and oil seals on my next belt replacement, about 10 or 12 years from now if I still have the car, if parts are still available, if I'm still alive, if the world is still here etc etc.

Cheers....George 1/8th

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by froglegs View Post
    Does anyone know how to tell if the mechanic has change the timing belt and the water pump by looking at the engine?

Yes you put some white paint marks on the items but not conspicuously and if its still there after service you know job was not done.

Hi george,

What oil seal? Is that some kind of O ring?

Thread Information