Cibie restoration and dash knob function identification
  • Register
  • Help

Default Cibie restoration and dash knob function identification

Hi all, the snow is thawed and the driving season will be here before I know it.

Advertisement

So I'm starting to work on some things.. Among which are the Cibie driving lights on my car- I have the two originals but I need to restore them- the silver on the backing is completely gone- but the lenses and bodies are in excellent shape.

Does anyone have experience with removing the lenses and glue so the reflectors can be re-silvered? I've heard mixed review on the silvering too, some people say its fantastic and better than new, others claim it tarnishes quickly.

The second question is- can anyone explain what some of the switches and knobs on the dash do?

I have a video I am linking to that shows my dash and me pointing out what the switch movement is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDvYyxuRBOY

Also- I have a green light below the speedo on the left hand side and a blue one on the right. The blue one never lights but the green one lights when the main (high) beam is on. Should this be reversed?

Finally a question for HotRodElectric- what wires are for the clock??!!

Thanks all
    Cheers!
    1966 CitroŽn DS19 Pallas, 1969 Ford F100, 1959 Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, 1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible

And remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself..

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

The knob behind the gear lever is for turning on(pull out) and off(push in) the auxillary headlights when on full beam, the three below the clock area are for(in no particular order) I think, parking lights, this is the one with 3 positions, the one that pulls out is for the interior lights and the 3rd is for the wipers, not sure about the others

Ed

Thanks for the reply,

any idea on the knob with the indicator light next to it?

The car originally had accessory reversing lights- would these have actuated automatically when reverse was suggested or would it have been a manual switch operation?

Thanks!

Tim
    1966 CitroŽn DS19 Pallas, 1969 Ford F100, 1959 Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, 1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible

And remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself..

I have disassembled the lights (removed the lenses, removed the yellow filters) so I will be sending them out to be re-plated either in silver or chrome.

Does anyone know which is better?

As the reflector is actually a mirror and glass is coated with silver to make a mirror then I reckon that silver is the go. I could be wrong and if so why, I do like to know the reason behind the answer for future reference.

hi vac spray chrome is the go as silver will be on the internal face and will tarnish with a mirror it is on the back and protected by a layer of paint takes a good operator to turn out a perfect job but once the lenses are back on nobody will be any the wiser
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by knipdlo View Post
    I have disassembled the lights (removed the lenses, removed the yellow filters) so I will be sending them out to be re-plated either in silver or chrome.

Does anyone know which is better?
    Re-coating of lamp reflectors requires a more fancy process than simple plating.
    Normally the process that is used is vacuum depositing. (vacuum deposition)

You are a bit far out town for me to advise of a local company.

Have look on the 'net or in your yellow pages phone directory.

Thanks all for the replies. I did a bunch of digging last night and I found out a few interesting things.

As far as refraction goes:
    Gold 95%
    Silver 92%
    Chrome 50%

Vacuum Aluminum with glass layer disposition- 95%

The downside to Silver is that it will tarnish if the fixture is not sealed- these Cibies are NOT sealed, and I can't see any reasonable way in which to seal them. The bulb just sits loosey goosey in the mounting so moisture will still be able to infiltrate.

The down side to chrome is the reduction of the output and blue hue for reflection. While I'm sure that they would appear pleasing to the eye- I am planning on using the lights when I do night driving (you can never be too careful- and on the way home from LA I drove most of the time with my full beams on anyway- I could probably do with some cleaning for the headlight grounds and connections.

Vacuum Plate Aluminum + Glass is the same process that is used today. The aluminum is specially treated so as not to produce a blue glow- and then coated in glass so that water/moisture/touching will not ruin the layer of Al. I'm told this is the method used on all modern cars for the reflectors- as well as telescopes and other high precision medical equipment. I have really only found one place in the US that does this process, and I think the cost might be cheaper than Silver or Chrome ($65 US/pair)

The downside to Vacuum Aluminum is you need a nickle plate base done prior to sending it to them- I won't know what that costs until monday.. so maybe it will be expensive.. dunno!

The inevitable post with a million pictures..

See.. not so hard!

What purpose did the tyrpwriter serve in the deconstruction process?

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    What purpose did the tyrpwriter serve in the deconstruction process?
    Moral support!

Nah, but it is where I type up service records/things that get filed into the history because it matches how Holmes did it..

IE:

WOW

Im not surprised you had no head light, light. those housings have rusted very well.........
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Is is still possible to use them? they look rather rusted? Knipdlo Do you intend to keep the car orinigal, because I did it a cheaper way after finding out the price of re doing my headlights, here in South Africa. It was in my old restoration thread, unfortunately the 25 pages was lost.

I ended getting VW Golf1 (1988 -2010) headlights, but the aftermarket chrystals. I got a set of shot reflectors, cut half of it (the rear side with the fitting in it) off, and dropped the vw ones in there and used poly utherane glue to keep them in place.

Just had to keep the top marks otherwise the whole light sets wrong.

only an idea if you have a spare set you could use and maby do this procedure while you wait for the orinigals to come back, if you need to use the car.

Well if you intend to keep it orinigal just remember this idea. I am not dissattisfied with the results, brights are like daylight, great for country roads and reading the overhead signs on highways from far, so you don't take the wrong offramp

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Well my main beams have been converted to Sealed Beam when the car was imported to the US, these are the Cibie driving lights- so the main beams work well, they're just a little dull- I'll attack that.

As for Golf reflectors- I've considered that- unfortunately in the US we had sealed beams from the MK1 until they became H4 square units on the MKIII I believe. I am not against using non original stuff for this particular project- but I haven't found anything here that I can use easily.. I do have to go to the junk yard this week so I'm going to look around maybe I can find a reflector from a tail light that will fit in there..

Actually at some point I will convert the headlights to 7" H4 Xenon lights. I have a friend with an XJ6 Series 3 and he converted his car to Xenon H4's and they look good on his car and they work fantastically at night.

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

I agree the Xenon lights will look very nice, I wish I could do it to my DS but they are quite expensive this side. I only used the golf lights because the whole set of 4 were +- $60. Cheap.

I didn't know if you guys had the same setup of golf lights that we had so it was a shot in the dark.

Good luck hunting and restoring

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by CorneSoutAfrica View Post

I didn't know if you guys had the same setup of golf lights that we had so it was a shot in the dark.

Good luck hunting and restoring

Cheers
    Corne
    I appreciate the idea Corne, I am going to look more into it before I pull the trigger on sending these things across the country.

When you did yours did you do them with glass reflectors fit inside? or were they plastic? I'm going to go scrounge the scrapyard tomorrow I think.. see what I can find.

Well Corne had the right ticket..

I was out to the local yard a few days back and I looked through the entire lot, domestic and import, front, back, sideways and upside down- and I couldn't find anything that was suitable. The rear reflector from the high beam of a 2002ish Golf seemed like it was shallow enough that it maybe could be modified to fit into the housing- but that would require buying and cutting apart a $$$$ part.

I was on the last row and I spotted a 1991 BMW e34 525i

^ photo with 90's mustache

So anyway, I pulled the assemblies out and disassembled the low beam (outside light) on the US Spec cars they were not projector beams like shown here..but I was able to prove before purchasing that they were easy to take apart, plastic inside and a smooth reflective surface just like the Cibies.

So. I now have two of the high beam lights for $6 US/ea which I am going to try to modify to work with my car.

I was going to put the whole housings into the part of the ball on the car- but I suspect that I won't be happy with the lens being flat, rather than bulbous like the Cibies. So I expect I will try to fit the reflector base into the housing for Cibies, then place the original yellow insert and the original lens OVER the entire setup. Which should provide a system that will appear entirely stock, and you would only be able to tell if you took the lens off of the original reflector to find the new one wedged inside.

I have to get ahold of a dremel tool, but a how-to with pics will come this weekend..!

Thread Information