Tyre wear
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Tyre wear

Default Tyre wear

I checked the Michelin MXV8 tyres (17") on a friend's Toyota Presara two year old car which has just travelled 67,000 km. It still has about 2mm of tread on each tyre which means they are due for replacement. They are the original tyres!

My Yokohama C Drives (similar spec. but 16") are the second set (the originals were Mich. Primacy) have done 67.000 km and are about stuffed. Can anyone explain why the C5 chews through tyres at about double the rate of the Toyota or are MXV8's super long wearing.

Advertisement
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    I checked the Michelin MXV8 tyres (17") on a friend's Toyota Presara two year old car which has just travelled 67,000 km. It still has about 2mm of tread on each tyre which means they are due for replacement. They are the original tyres!

My Yokohama C Drives (similar spec. but 16") are the second set (the originals were Mich. Primacy) have done 67.000 km and are about stuffed. Can anyone explain why the C5 chews through tyres at about double the rate of the Toyota or are MXV8's super long wearing.
    C drive is a premium wet weather tyre, which equates to a soft tyre.
    Although not market as one, I'd say the reinforced Cdrive behaves like a ultra high performace tyre.
    35k km for a set of cdrives is 10k more than I ever get from them so dont feel too ripped off.
    If you dont like the cdrives, you'll hate the new michi PS3.
    I think I'll be lucky if I get 15K Km out of my PS3's.
    For all that tyre wear, I think the Cdrives perform better, with more harshness as a trade off.

Jo

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Don't try a CX then .... You'd be horified how quickly the CX's munch out front tyres. I destroy the things as a past time I'd be lucky to get 30,000 from the front pair, let alone 60+ thousand

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Tyre wear on C5

I have read a couple of threads on French Car Forum (UK) about tyres on C5's which reinforce the high rate of wear experience. Less than 15,000 miles is common there for whatever reason. I guess it really comes down to the same old trade-off, grip versus wear rate. I prefer grip which gives me a better chance of coming out of a corner appropriately (even at all) if I haven't got my speed right when I enter it.

I suppose 35,000 km to 37,000 km is considerably better than the 27,000 km I attained with the Continentals on my 2 litre Laguna II Expression.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Default C5 tyre wear

Shane, on reading my starting thread I can see that my wording is confusing. Sorry about that. The C5 has done 67,000 km and I guess the C5's have done 37,000 km of the total. I purchased the C5 second hand (pre-used as they say) when it had done 46,000 km so I have taken an educated guess.

The question remains as to what I would consider to be a satisfactory mileage and I would respond that about 45,000 km which is what I used to get on my two 405's and the Xantia.

In looking at the possibilties as replacement tyres for the C5, I am amazed by the proliferation of sizes available. To a great extent that has been brought about by the very low profiles coming onto the market starting from 35 aspect ratio and finishing at 80 such as for the recently purchased Nankang's for my R16. The large range no doubt impacts on the economies of scale achievable. I would hate to think what the cost of the 35's on the latest Maserati Quattroporte which I had the good fortune to have a drive in today. Its ride was quite compliant (read comfortable) which was surprising considering the small amount of compressed air between the wheel rim and the bitumen.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    I would hate to think what the cost of the 35's on the latest Maserati Quattroporte which I had the good fortune to have a drive in today. Its ride was quite compliant (read comfortable) which was surprising considering the small amount of compressed air between the wheel rim and the bitumen.
    I guess when you are spending maserati sort of money - few grand here or there for rubber hardly matters. The amount of air between you and the road is probably the same for the maserati as it is for your 16 - I'll bet the m tyres are at least twice as wide as those on the 16.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Thread Information