fuel line for EFI cars
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 fuel line for EFI cars

I seem to be endlessly be replacing rubber fuel lines on my injected cars they seem to perish so bloody quickly is their any alternative available ????

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

You could et yourself some aluminium pipe from rocket industries and a flaring tool.
    Oh, and stop using ethanol.

Jo

Icon4 I remember along long time ago

Cars use to have nylon clear fuel lines a bugger to put on hot water and lots of grunt but there for ever and flexible enough to cope with engine movement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Get hold of a quality brand such as Gates or Dayco or even in desperation find out what the manufactuer's use. Obviously don't go and use the stuff if the brand has had a recall for fuel leaks!
    The stuff from some auto outlets is rubbish, seems to be made in China by and large. Some is just sold as fuel hose without a pressure rating, which means some people will/have fitted carbie rated hose (Max 12 psi) to EFI systems that run at a nominal pressure of 45 psi and for some turbo applications 60 psi or greater.
    When it all goes wrong, it really goes wrong! Very Hot and Orange.
    Brand names have a web site and usually state something along the line of, "Can be used with alcohol up to the limit of the DOT and/or EPA standard." Basically the Yank's reckon up to 10% of Ethanol is fine. Methanol is very bad for wide range of natural and synthenic rubber as it it swells and softens the hose and can lead to failure, see above regarding Hot 'n' Orange.
    When in doubt ask the "counter jumper", if he can't answer the question get them to get someone there who can! It's your money, your life and most importantly your car at risk.

Have been using standard good stuff but it seems every 3 or 4 years it starts to perish and split which is a worry I do not know whether it is the heat or just life can not imagine that industrial or aviation quality hoses would do the same

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    When in doubt ask the "counter jumper", if he can't answer the question get them to get someone there who can! It's your money, your life and most importantly your car at risk.
    I had to fight pretty hard to get a refund from witworth for their disolving fuel lines.
    Their point of issue was I had bought 8m but was only returning 5 or so, as the other 3 were installed on my car.
    I had to actually get a cup of fuel, stick the fuel line in it, then smear the rubber off for them in front of their noses, whilst reminding them that as marine suppliers they have an obligation under the Australian standards to sell above current spec hose.
    I also offered to not alert the marine insurance industry of their sub standard hose if they gave me a full refund.
    That sealed it as they finally started to realise what it means to suffer engine failure out at sea because of inferior product.

Jo

Fellow Frogger

Is your XJC a 6 or a 12? My V12 XJ-S had the factory fuel hoses replaced with Goss hose by the PO's mechanic. It leaked because it has metric barbs and the hose was an imperial size, which might have been an OK fit when installed, but it's not really the right size and probably swelled up enough with age to leak. On a V12, this is very bad news with the injectors and distributor sharing the same cramped valley! The correct hose from the factory is a metric size and costs about $100 for the 1m length required to do the injectors. You need another length to replace some of the other bits, but it's fiddly and many people would buy the new fitted lines despite the cost. I'd use this stuff on D-Jet injectors too, use a blade soldering iron to remove the old hose without damage to the barb and ensure the ferule is present, but it's not a slip on fit. Compared to the Pirtek hose I used on one line, the factory Jag hose seems to hold up better and has remained more pliable for longer. The only other EFI hose I've used and been happy with was from Gates, but it's expensive too.

the hoses that are bugging me are for the 16v but I take your point with the Jags many have met their maker as a road side bonfire The SM is another worry as almost every hose is a custom moulded now hard and brittle rubber time bomb> I will try gates but was looking for a one time fix silicon or nylon or some other space age material as continually checking all the hoses on all the cars is a bit of a pain especially when they split with the ol;d twist and pinch test

Thread Information