• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Don B. Cilly
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: steering wheel removal.

Fellow Frogger!

Default steering wheel removal.

I am getting the steering whell on my DS 23 Safari recovered in leather.

The guy want to remove the steering wheel so he can get the stitching correct.

It looks to be complicated to remove the steering wheel.

Any tips please.

Regards Graham

Advertisement

You have to remove the bolt where the steering wheel touches the pinion on the rotating union.

Then, undo the clamp up near the sphere and make it plenty loose because it all has to come off the steering wheel shaft. on LHD cars, removing the sphere makes access to the clamp much easier.

Undo the locking nut on the self centering cam and make this loose as well because it has to slide off the end of the shaft.

Unlock the ignition switch, recline the front seat, and remove the wheel through the cabin.

Make special note of the springs, cups, washers, etc. from the clamp area I mentioned in the second step. They have to go back in order or the steering could be tight.

When you reinstall these parts, and go to set the tension: Push them towards the firewall until they just hit pressure. Then cram it up as tight as you can. Make note of the beginning and ending travel along the shaft and set the clamp about halfway in between those locations. Too loose and it will rattle. Too tight, and the shaft will bind up.

The self centering cam is pretty much a no brainer. Just make sure you put it on right side up, and be sure the spoke on the wheel is "clocked" with the wheels straight ahead before you set the centering cam.

You might be able to make some judicious paint marks while disassembling that will greatly aid you in getting it back into the car.

Good luck.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

He probably hasn't picked up on it yet...... The steering wheel can *not* be removed in a DS. What he means by rotating union upward, is you must remove the entire steering column down to the rack.....

The steering wheel does not come off the column, they are one single piece.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 21st March 2011 at 03:54 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    He probably hasn't picked up on it yet...... The steering wheel can *not* be removed in a DS. What he means by rotating union upward, is you must remove the entire steering column down to the rack.....

The steering wheel does not come off the column, they are one single piece.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I thought so.

Too bloody hard.

Too much to go wrong.

Thanks for the help.

I think I save it until I take the car down to DS Motors in Brisbane for its annual service.

I think there must be a bearing in there somewhere because when I turn the steering wheel about half a turn I feel a clunk that feels to me like a worn bearing.

I think I'll let the boys in Brissy fix it.

Thanks for the help.

Regards Graham

There's a heart shaped cam there if you have a look. This is to provide a "center" feel. With center point steering the wheel doesn't really self center ( unless of course you have an SM that powers the steering wheel to center).

Most likely this is what you are feeling when you turn the steering wheel

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

UFO

The clunk can be the park brake cable (testing my memory and I'm too lazy to walk out the back in the rain to the garage) rubbing against the side of the column as it rotates.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I am told that clunk can also be caused hydraulically, by incorrect crossover pressures in the rotating union.

Roger

PS It's not that hard to remove the steering column.

Not it is not difficult but never, never do it while driving. The column comes back some way and you will have to move in to the passenger seat.
    The last mechanic to try was overwhelmed by the crossover pressure and now wears a bra and panties under his overalls.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I am told that clunk can also be caused hydraulically, by incorrect crossover pressures in the rotating union.

Roger

PS It's not that hard to remove the steering column.
    I've driven one that obviously had the crossover pressures really messed up. It didn't do a mechanical like "clunk". It however was incredibly "notchy".... Infact it was quite difficult to turn the steering wheel.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I've driven one that obviously had the crossover pressures really messed up. It didn't do a mechanical like "clunk". It however was incredibly "notchy".... Infact it was quite difficult to turn the steering wheel.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yes. This could indeed be the problem.

Rather than a clunk, it is notchy.

I am going to leave it to the boys at DS Motors in Brisbane.

Thanks for the help.

Regards Graham

I thought you might like to see the results of a couple of hours work today fixing a tired old DS “safety” steering wheel. It was a typical problem of sun damage and the entire wheel cover was loose. It is easy to remove the wheel and shaft by simply undoing the clamp retaining the spring and removing the bolt where it fits to the steering valves. With the cover removed from the light switch etc the wheel and shaft simply slide back. All up removal took about 5 minutes.

I decided to keep the original cover rather than cut it all off. I ran a blade around the inside of the wheel and peeled it back to reveal the steel frame. After cleaning the surface with solvent I painted both the steel and the inside of the rubber sheath with contact cement. Once the rubber was reattached it was easy to fit a leather cover and stitch it on. The end result is fine though perhaps my stitching is not the neatest.

PS Total cost less than $30 including leather cover from Ebay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steering wheel removal.-10042011734.jpg   steering wheel removal.-10042011735.jpg   steering wheel removal.-10042011737.jpg   steering wheel removal.-10042011739.jpg   steering wheel removal.-10042011740.jpg  
    Last edited by michaelr; 10th April 2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

DS

That actually looks great and all the better as a DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    I thought you might like to see the results of a couple of hours work today fixing a tired old DS “safety” steering wheel. It was a typical problem of sun damage and the entire wheel cover was loose. It is easy to remove the wheel and shaft by simply undoing the clamp retaining the spring and removing the bolt where it fits to the steering valves. With the cover removed from the light switch etc the wheel and shaft simply slide back. All up removal took about 5 minutes.

I decided to keep the original cover rather than cut it all off. I ran a blade around the inside of the wheel and peeled it back to reveal the steel frame. After cleaning the surface with solvent I painted both the steel and the inside of the rubber sheath with contact cement. Once the rubber was reattached it was easy to fit a leather cover and stitch it on. The end result is fine though perhaps my stitching is not the neatest.
    Michael,

Where did you get the leather cover ?

I've been looking for one.

cheers

Rob

Nice work Michael.

Tightly stitched, good quality leather seems a good solution to old and disintegrating "soft feel" steering wheels.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Icon12

Judging by this pic Michael, you need to update your restoration thread, I see a front wing with headligts and indicator....

Nice to see your working environment a little closer to mine, that shed was shear luxury
    Very nice work on the wheel, you're a man of many talents...

Sadly my steering wheel is beyond repair, I don't know if you can see in this pic, but it's swollen to twice it's normal size. I've purchased a reco one from Citroworld, not a bad wheel and not that expensive when brought in with a few other goodies.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steering wheel removal.-right-scuttle.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Judging by this pic Michael, you need to update your restoration thread, I see a front wing with headlights and indicator....

Cheers
    Chris
    Ok, I will do that! Not much to report though as slow progress.

Your wheel is a mess. How come DS dashboard pads seem almost indestructible but the steering wheel rots away to a pulp?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steering wheel removal.-some-progress.jpg  
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Ok, I will do that! Not much to report though as slow progress.

Your wheel is a mess. How come DS dashboard pads seem almost indestructible but the steering wheel rots away to a pulp?
    I guess it's a softer foam Michael, 35 years, much of that time baking in the Queensland sun. Your right though, the dash tops seem to fair much better...

Thanks for updating your resto thread, I can see much progress, your car is a transformation = stuning

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi everyone,

Just ordered a replacement steering wheel for the DSpecial. Like for like. Just wondering if I should try and do the replacement myself or take it to the mechanic.

Not the most mechanically inclined person. The steering rack is fine. Just wanted to replace the steering wheel.

Regards Syd
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)

Previously owned Frenchies -
    1976 Citroen GS 1220
    1997 Peugeot 306 XSi
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

Do it with one extra pair of hands (attached to a brain) and it's not difficult.
    If I can do it (I did) pretty much anyone can.
    Just follow the instructions in this thread.

Personally I found removing the battery and its cradle (if you have it on the same side as the steering wheel) the longest job.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Not difficult to do with the correct steering tools and easier with a second pair of hands as Don points out but easier again for a mechanic who works on DS'ssss. If you are getting a swap job then of course you'll be out of action for awhile but the job shouldn't take a mechanic longer than an hour for both removal and installation.
    gsowner84 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    Do it with one extra pair of hands (attached to a brain) and it's not difficult.
    If I can do it (I did) pretty much anyone can.
    Just follow the instructions in this thread.

Personally I found removing the battery and its cradle (if you have it on the same side as the steering wheel) the longest job.
    Being a DSpecial the battery will not need removing it's on the left and this is a RHD car.

Daffyduck has pretty well covered the procedure ^, I would add, remove the instrument cluster and binnacle cover. You will need the undo the speedo cable to fully withdraw the instrument cluster.

I found the trickiest part is locating the correct position and orientation of the steering lock collar on the column - you can see it in Michael's photo above. It is fitted to the column before sliding the column back into the engine bay - measurements when removing from the old column will give you a starting point but trial and error to fine tune. Do this without fitting the various collars, tube, spring etc. Initially locate the column in the spline on the rack, turn steering wheel to check engagement of the lock. Once you are happy withdraw the wheel, tighten the lock collar and reassemble with all the underbonnet parts.

You are fortunate in that you should not have to touch the rack alignment.

Cheers
    Chris
    gsowner84 likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you Don B Cilly, GB and forumnoreason.

Definitely can confirm as GB has stated that the battery is located on the opposite side of the steering wheel.

My partner is wonderful and is willing to help and get her hands dirty.

It is a more difficult exercise than I thought, but would like to get better at working on cars. After the car has been mechanically looked after by Lance of DS Motors for approximately 20 years, the last thing I want to do is stuff up his work ;-)

Regards, Syd
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)

Previously owned Frenchies -
    1976 Citroen GS 1220
    1997 Peugeot 306 XSi
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

Thread Information