Radiator stockings DS 23 Auto & Big15 eng work
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Radiator stockings DS 23 Auto & Big15 eng work

After having a new radiator core fitted and new hose clamps the ’23 Auto is going fine. There was a bit of pressure being lost. It can be hard to get the hose clamps to seal with a stocking underneath to catch grit but I’ve always found it’s worth the bother. Each time I clean them out there will be grit. So the Auto is not running hot and continues to be a good town car for Janet. All D’s are different and with an Auto you don’t have a clutch to worry about so it all pans out in the end. Being an injected Auto it goes through more petrol but as we don’t drive it long distances it’s not too bad. It is nice to drive a good original D with hydraulics working superbly. Janet’s happy to drive manuals but has a special attachment to this car and the metallic green must be one of the better colours in the range.

Advertisement

As far as radiator stockings I did come undone with the Big 15. Not being used to the ins and outs of Tractions the end of the stocking was sucked into the “overflow pipe” as I had it a touch too long. Because the cap is a seal the pressure build up in the radiator caused a leak and voila, the engine overheated.
    We have, better late than never, fitted a period temperature gauge and header tank in the old girl. With parts from CCOCA, brother Michael is replacing the head gasket and about to replace barrel seals. He’s no mechanic so we’ll see how it goes - - - ??
    The car could go into Melbourne but Michael at Castlemaine is game to give it a go. Famous last words.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Happy Citroen motoring - - John.
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 19th March 2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typing error

I think I saw some barrels, and a headgasket on US ebay the other day. For the 15-6.

Nice to read about the BVA too.

Icon12

Hi John, I remember back in the good ol' days Arthur Lewis used to make a tube and base out of I think brass mesh and fit to the hose connection the front of the tube was folded and the hose slipped over, holding it in place. These do need to be checked at each service because as you say they would collect all kinds of grime and grit that would otherwise over time clog radiators.

Good luck with the Traction

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, I appreciate that but the reason I use a stocking is that with 6 inches or so it could go for 2 years or so if someone completely forgot about it while the mesh one might have blocked up.

Thanks, John.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    Yes, I appreciate that but the reason I use a stocking is that with 6 inches or so it could go for 2 years or so if someone completely forgot about it while the mesh one might have blocked up.

Thanks, John.
    You can always recognize a ex-Paas car by the stocking in the top hose - I know, I have two of them!
    John, if Michael runs into any problems in Castlemaine, I may be able to help.
    roger

Default Big 15 workshop manual

I have an original big 15 two part workshop manual from Southhampton going cheap. Good condition and smells magnificent.

Fellow Frogger!

Thankyou for that Roger. He will appreciate it. He's been that busy trying to tidy up his English cars that he's now coming back to what he knows best.
    I must agree with him though that the '54 Sunbeam Alpine is a little beauty and I enjoyed very much driving it to Marong last year when Janet drove his '74 Pallas and he drove his early 50's Talbot and brother Hans ( who owned Janet's '74 Auto at one stage ) came with his '56 Humber Hawk. All good fun.
    Michael recently bought the ex Mike Neill 1960 French ID19 so he's in heaven.

I think sometimes of your SM and how lovely it looked in your garage. It's a credit to you on detailing that car and getting it "up there". I still remember driving Steeley's SM many years ago at a Cit-in down the Peninsula way and how exciting it was to drive such a beautiful car.
    So what am I doing driving a beat up Big 15 in the Victorian country side, when I can - - I'm sure we're all mad.

John.

Fellow Frogger!

I'd be interested in that if you want to sell it Tim. I'd send the money including postage asap.

It could be a good omen as the old girl needs all the love & attention she can get.

John.

Ok John will pm you tomorrow. Wondering if you'd like to team it with a near mint ds 19 manual (the 2 part red slough one). I also have new old stock glovebox manuals for all the rare d models if you want anything like that.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    You can always recognize a ex-Paas car by the stocking in the top hose -
    I've always thought it was more like a DS Motors trademark.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    I've always thought it was more like a DS Motors trademark.
    You may well be correct, how about the wine cask bladder on the hydraulic tank vent - only in Queensland!
    roger

Thread Information