Info wanted GS 1220 cambelt bearing nos.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Info wanted GS 1220 cambelt bearing nos.

Hi, I have searched but haven't found what I'm looking for. I am ordering a pair of Gates cambelts for the GS and want to replace the cambelt tensioner bearings too. They don't have a part number for the bearings so I was wondering if anyone has this written down somewhere?
    Cheers, Andy

Advertisement

Anyone? 33 views no replies!? Fento, Chris.......are you guys there? I can't order until Monday now so will wait until then. The GS is making a weird screaming noise occasionally like one of those souped up V8's whining noise maybe like air whistling from somwhere. I don't know what it is and am not sure the history of the belts and bearings so it will be the most basic step.
    This GS needs much work and I want to take it to Stanthorpe this easter but have little time to get it roadworthy. Other parts needed if anyone has spare; anti-roll bar droplinks, lower arm bushes, cv boot, tie rod inner, Michelin (MXTE) tyres 185/65 R15, front late grill, rear LH taillight/ black moulding later type, steering wheel(unlikely), etc. Most of these I will have to get overseas but just thought I would check.
    Cheers, Andy

UFO

Andy, are you at the point where you can actually SEE the bearings? Do they have a part number engraved on the side?

I believe SKF are usually a good source for Citroen related bearings.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hello Andy,

I can't help with the tensioner bearings part number. However I would like to know for my own benefit.

I too have just received some Gates timing belts for the GS 1220. It took a bit but the local Bursons came through. He is now attempting to find the tensioner bearings for me. I understand I can get them overseas but a local supplier would be good. Also I have not clapped eyes on the bearings themselves yet to ascertain the part numbers.

The Gates kit I have for the car is a P/N 5012 it contains both belts (They are different sizes). I guess it comes from Gates UK cause you can't get it here.

However you can get both belts individually here they are a Gates P/N T025 and T026.

The T025 belt is a 41093 x 3/4 (ie. it has 93 teeth and is 3/4" wide)

The T026 belt is a 41105 x 3/4 (ie. it has 105 teeth and is 3/4" wide)

I got some lower arm bushes (called fluid bloc bearings) from Citroen Andre. Chevronics seemed unwilling to sell me these parts for some reason. They did however sell me several other bits.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Fellow Frogger!

Mate,

I have sold all my GS bits, so I can't measure them for you. I am also unable to remember any markings on them - always bought the belts and tensioner assemblies as a kit from Auto France.

Please be careful of secondhand bearings against a timing belt. If the bearing is even a little worn it may overheat, and then damage the section of the belt it rests against when you stop the motor. On restart the belt breaks, a GS motor does not have clearance between the pistons and valves, and all sorts of internal mischief results.

Craig is right - pull them off (easy when you are replacing the belts) and look for ID numbers or size them AND replace them whether they look ok or not. Better safe than sorry!

It is a sure bet they are SKF, but as a special use bearing they may not be marked or available from sources other than Citroen.

Best of luck,

fento

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N View Post
    This GS needs much work and I want to take it to Stanthorpe this easter but have little time to get it roadworthy. Other parts needed if anyone has spare; anti-roll bar droplinks, lower arm bushes, cv boot, tie rod inner, Michelin (MXTE) tyres 185/65 R15, front late grill, rear LH taillight/ black moulding later type, steering wheel(unlikely), etc. Most of these I will have to get overseas but just thought I would check.
    Cheers, Andy
    I got some droplinks (at least 8 i think) but you need to test the condition. I have got at least one set of driveshafts and I would think they got good cv boots. As far as I remember I also got lower arm bushes that i found in the glovebox of the Gs Wagon I bought , they are pretty expensive to buy aren't they so i may have to ask $ for them I made a pair for the 1015 from a standard bushes from Autobarn and they worked fine.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Gees thanks a lot guys for all that help. I am going through CBC bearings and they said that if I could bring a bearing in that they could try and match it. I remember them being a lot more helpful last time I got some belts so I may just have to ring around including SKF, cheers Craig. I see that the Gates belts as a pair are also currently on ebay for around $50-$60 with free postage to buy now. The reason I called CBC was that the service was excellent but only average this time. They can still get the belts in a couple of days though.
    I didn't think about Auto France, Fento cheers for that. wonder if I should call Yongy's sons and see what they have.
    Cheers Garth, I have seen that Citroen Andre have some good parts so will surely give them a call soon.
    And Kimmo, I will have to see what you have because all those parts will hopefully get the GS closer to becoming more driveable.
    -Andy

andy, come around and have a look. i will be in this afternoon.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Thread Information