XM Infrared
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: XM Infrared

Tadpole

Default XM Infrared

The central locking in my XM stopped working with the remote a while ago. Changing the infrared remote batteries didn't fix the problem. I pulled the remote apart to find lots of dry joints which I re soldered but to no avail. I had a younger mate of mine look at it and he spotted that one of the infrared LED leads had broken. On re soldering the LED the remote now works again. Has anyone had success replacing the infrared LED?

Advertisement

Hi Cattle dog,
    well done! I did the same with the remote plip for my Xantia, there was a few dry joints.
    I would not be too worried about the led...if it's been soldered and now works then you don't have a problem.
    As long as the solder is nice high quality and shiny on the outside, and you have a good mechanical and electrical connection you should be ok. You could cover the repair on the led leg with hot glue. This would give it some shock support. It should be as good as new.

Cheers....George 1/8th

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle Dog View Post
    The central locking in my XM stopped working with the remote a while ago. Changing the infrared remote batteries didn't fix the problem. I pulled the remote apart to find lots of dry joints which I re soldered but to no avail. I had a younger mate of mine look at it and he spotted that one of the infrared LED leads had broken. On re soldering the LED the remote now works again. Has anyone had success replacing the infrared LED?
    Congratulations on getting it fixed.
    Somewhere on the site there used to be a blow by blow description of the Plip and its operation/failings etc. by The Gonz who knows enough electrickery to build/modify these frustration devices. if it is still around you could probably search Plip and or the gonz.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Thread Information