CX Vibration Issues
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX Vibration Issues

Since the auto box was replaced I have had a very vexing issue with the CX. Driven gently all is OK, give it a bit of extra throttle and she hums as if the exhaust is touching somewhere, made worse if this is coupled with going around a corner. I got a fright a few weeks ago when going up a very steep uphill corner she kicked down to first and this was accompanied by loud banging under the car. I can now make this happen at will if the car is loaded up around a tight-ish corner.

I have had the car up on ramps and there is plenty of clearance around the exhaust as it leaves the front subframe. I then put it in drive and the clearance diminishes but still ok I think (about 20mm).

Advertisement

The only difference is the exhaust bracket on the back of the engine has a eurothane insert but as it is bolted to the block, I don't see how it could be increasing NVH.

She has suffered with vibration when under heavy load for a while, the driveshafts were overhauled but this did not seem to make much difference.

All engine mounts are OK, I think the exhaust issue could be the eurothane insert, being harder dragging the exhaust system further forward when the engine, plus maybe a small adjustment to push it higher. I am wondering if the vibration under load could be exacerbated by worn lower control arm bushes.

Is everybody else's CX Auto smooth, I hope so

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

Greg, have you checked that the rear flexible mountings for the exhauste are vertical and not strained? Also, check the adjustment of the front exhaust hanger. Haynes, Chap 3, P 63. I remember some similar problem on my CX and it was in that area.

John

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I still put $$$ on it being the exhaust. It's incredible the noise an exhaust makes if it touches anywhere. What about at the back where it goes around the fuel tank ?? Does yours still have the rear undertray ? I wonder if the exhaust bangs against the undertray?

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi Greg, you said the engine mounts are all ok. I'd question that point. I had a CX that had a horrible vibration. It was the bottom engine mount .
    It was not until I removed the old one that I could see that it had disintegrated completely.
    Replacing it fixed the vibration completely.

Good luck.

Cheers...George 1/8th

Well had the car up on the hoist at the tech day, and confirmed the noise is coming from the exhaust hitting the back of the subframe. The tighter eurothane bush probably the culprit. That said the shape of the pipe could do with a rethink, it twists down a tad too soon, and this is where it is hitting the subframe. so at least we know now.

Noted that UFO's CX exhaust is actually resting on the subframe as he has a broken bracket poor fellow.

The other interesting thing, is the Prestige has the same exhaust down pipe under the engine as Double Chevrons turbo. UFO's has a flexi pipe in front just like the early CX's even though it is 3 years younger than the Prestige ????

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

I remember those early flexible couplings. There were two "rules" about CXs when they were plentiful:

1. When the top dog bone engine mount is replaced, the next job will be to replace the flexible coupling (the first causes the second).
    2. When the water pump leaks, get ready to replace the alternator situated underneath.
    John

Thread Information