Trafficator woes
  • Register
  • Help

Default Trafficator woes

Son-in-law has a 98 Xsara which I talked him into buying about 4 years ago. Its going fine but has an annoying clicking of the trafficators that comes in and a red stop engine light and occasionally happens then the air fan in the cab won't work. Put on computer, no codes showing. Fan worked fine when taken to electrician. Remember somone saying something about cleaning contacts...whats that mean? How?

Advertisement

Hi Freeo46,
    to clean the contacts means...1. Remove steering wheel. 2. dismantle steering console. 3. Disconnect wiring unit from and then remove indicator switch/stalk assembly.

Then either, 1. Dismantle and inspect stalk/switch assembly. Clean / repair / lube switch contacts. Reassemble and test unit in position.
    Or, 2. Fit new stalk assembly.

Reassemble switch console on steering column.

Refit steering wheel.

Easy job if you know what you are doing.

Book car into auto electrician if you don't know how to do it.

Same procedure for any car that has indicators, unless you own a CX. No need to remove the steering wheel if you own a CX.

Cheers....George 1/8th

Fellow Frogger!

This is a PSA vintage car ..... Wasn't this the era of the dreaded Com 2000 failures of the lighting stalks that afflicted Peugeots as well ?? Maybe a search on the "other place" or for Com 2000 itself will reveal more...
    From memory here are replacements available.

Because of the year it is a series 1 Xsara, meaning that it should not have the dreaded Comm 2000. Have a look at eBay in case you'll need replacement stalks.

Cheers,
    Paul

JBN

Does it have an airbag? If so, I expect there will be some care required in removing steering wheel without it exploding.

John

Default Com 2000?

Dutiful daughter now drives a series II Xsara, and a fine car it is too... but, the headlights keep turning on after starting the car. A brief tap of the indicator stalk will turn them off for a while, but then they will turn on again.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I thought that there may be something in common. I went to the local dealer who informed me that the replacement switch unit was a ring affair around the binnacle and included indicators, lights and radio switches. Stated cost was around $900 ex France. There was no aftermarket option.

So my question is, does this sound like the Com 2000 issue mentioned by Fritzelhund and Emissary and is there any fix, or is it something else? Is there some link to information about a fix?

Thanks
    Cheers
    Richard

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by R Procter View Post
    Dutiful daughter now drives a series II Xsara, and a fine car it is too... but, the headlights keep turning on after starting the car. A brief tap of the indicator stalk will turn them off for a while, but then they will turn on again.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I thought that there may be something in common. I went to the local dealer who informed me that the replacement switch unit was a ring affair around the binnacle and included indicators, lights and radio switches. Stated cost was around $900 ex France. There was no aftermarket option.

So my question is, does this sound like the Com 2000 issue mentioned by Fritzelhund and Emissary and is there any fix, or is it something else? Is there some link to information about a fix?

Thanks
    Cheers
    Richard
    Yes, it does sound like the Comm2000 unit. We did have a very good write-up with step by step photos - before the crash.

If you contact gibgib he may still have the images and text. This job is not beyond a capable DIY, with gibgib's explanation and cautions. From memory his unit was sourced via ebay and the cost was well below the figures bandied around here. [for the record, gibgib's vehicle was a Berlingo, but the same process would apply to the Xsara].

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by R Procter View Post

Thanks
    Cheers
    Richard
    Richard,
    What you describe is similar to the problems I had with my Xsara. I was quoted the same amount for a Comm 2000, but I was lucky enough to find a unit on ebay for less than $300. Try this mob: http://stores.ebay.com.au/frenchautomotivepartsltd
    It works perfectly now (fingers crossed, of course).

Cheers,
    Paul

Default Part number?

Hello all,

I have been pursuing a replacement switch for daughter's Xsara, but the Citroen wheels turn slowly.

Gib Gib supplied me with a copy of his excellent write up of the procedure involved in the replacement which gave me much confidence. Then went to Paul's suggested site (french automotive parts) to see the listings for the Com 2000 switch. There were half a dozen or more different part numbers for it depending on application. I could identify two or possibly three which might be suitable. On its website, fap suggest that purchasers email them with the details (VIN) of the vehicle to ensure correct selection. I received no reply from the two emails that I sent.

Then went to the local Citroen agent and asked if they could identify the correct part number. After trying over several days and experiencing some confusion over the issue of fog lights, they could not discover the number, but suggested that there would be some identifying number on the switch on the car. Not much more that I could do here as they knew that it was just an intellectual exercise as it was unlikely that I would buy the part from them.

From my observations, it seems that the most likely part numbers are: 6239WQ; 6239Q3; or possibly 6239QN. I arrived at these numbers by trying to match the description of the switch functions with the hardware on the car.

So, my question is does any one have a definitive take on the correct part number.

Cheers
    Richard

I bought a replacement indicator light stalk for our 2000 Xantia for about $190. The price was just too good and we have had issues with the stalk for a while now. The indicators will click like mad if you hit a bump, or you manually cancel them, randomly. The issue is one of the contacts inside is loose. Continental Cars routinely pull them apart and fix them, they had done ours a few years ago but it has come loose again.

Last time I was there they had a C5 unit in bits, when I questioned why they are doing this they quoted the price for a new one. Their head mechanic is very good at fixing them

Since the Xsara stalks are pretty close to the Xantia are you sure the new price is that high, if it is consider fixing it or taking it to someone who can

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Richard,

I identified mine using the Citroen service website: http://service.citroen.com/pages/login_hors_eu.jsp

It's disappointing that the fap people did not reply to your emails. They were quite effective and responsive in my case. Maybe it is worth insisting...

Cheers,
    Paul

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I bought a replacement indicator light stalk for our 2000 Xantia for about $190. The price was just too good and we have had issues with the stalk for a while now. The indicators will click like mad if you hit a bump, or you manually cancel them, randomly. The issue is one of the contacts inside is loose. Continental Cars routinely pull them apart and fix them, they had done ours a few years ago but it has come loose again.

Last time I was there they had a C5 unit in bits, when I questioned why they are doing this they quoted the price for a new one. Their head mechanic is very good at fixing them

Since the Xsara stalks are pretty close to the Xantia are you sure the new price is that high, if it is consider fixing it or taking it to someone who can

Greg
    Greg, I think our trusty 2000 Xantia's escaped the dreaded COMM2000 saga - No BSI's for us (I dont think anyway)

Thread Information