DS rear window
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: DS rear window

Default DS rear window

I have a question about installation of a rear window on a '73 DS. I assume the first job is to glue the lower seal to the metal parcel shelf? Can anyone tell me the best sequence to get the glass in place? How many pairs of hand will it require? I got the front screen in single handed but this back one has me beat!

Advertisement
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    I have a question about installation of a rear window on a '73 DS. I assume the first job is to glue the lower seal to the metal parcel shelf? Can anyone tell me the best sequence to get the glass in place? How many pairs of hand will it require? I got the front screen in single handed but this back one has me beat!
    Michael, have you read the 'Tony Jackson PDF #D.961-4 Replacement of rear screen'?

It makes it sound really easy, yes glue the lower seal in place, fit the screen rubber to the screen, they suggest using adhesive tape to hold it in place. Offer the upper screen to the frame, fit glass setting it as far as possible into the upper part of framing, tighten the two retaining backets whilst pushing up on the glass.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Can someone please advise where I can find a copy of the 'Tony Jackson PDF #D.961-4 Replacement of rear screen'

Thanks
    Errol

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Errol_S View Post
    Can someone please advise where I can find a copy of the 'Tony Jackson PDF #D.961-4 Replacement of rear screen'

Thanks
    Errol
    Errol.
    Download Manuals 814- 1 and 2 here.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tv0b25gpmd5ux8e/e-HYMQrA3e

You need 814/2 Page 455 of the downloaded file

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS rear window-ds-rear-glass-removal.jpg   DS rear window-ds-rear-glass-refit.jpg  
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Hi Michael,
    I know its common practice to glue the seal first, however I've never been able to get it *right* that way, particularly with a new seal.
    In the past I've fitted the rear glass then pushed the seal in place from the inside with some wd40. Once in it does not move.
    If you want to glue it then I would do the above, mark the position of the seal, then remove the glass and glue the seal according to the mark.
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Duh!! I didn't think of looking at the manual because that is far too logical. Maybe now I am really showing my stupidity but point 3 under removal has me confused - "Using a screwdriver placed between rubber sealing and upper part of window framing, lever the window over the retaining brackets." Are they suggesting prying the top of the window out of the frame, and then simply lifting the glass over the brackets?
    Thanks
    Errol

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Errol_S View Post
    Duh!! I didn't think of looking at the manual because that is far too logical. Maybe now I am really showing my stupidity but point 3 under removal has me confused - "Using a screwdriver placed between rubber sealing and upper part of window framing, lever the window over the retaining brackets." Are they suggesting prying the top of the window out of the frame, and then simply lifting the glass over the brackets?
    Thanks
    Errol
    Errol,

I'm not sure what they are describing there either

For removal, I completely remove the two lower brackets and lift the screen outward from the bottom (after releasing the left and right demister connections from the inside). No screwdriver!!

For refitting, fit the rubber to the glass and ease into position then fit clamps and demister conections.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I think steps four (repeated in the text) refer to doing the bottom one first with tape as the seal will be floppy then fit the top seal then stick it in frame then put the brackets on, thats the reverse of how I took mine off, took about 2 minutes to remove it.

Easy peasy Japoneasy!

LOL. Thanks that makes sense. I am glad the removal is simple as once out I have to cut the rust from the C pillars and fabricate new inserts. Oy vey!!

Thread Information