C4 Antipollution
  • Register
  • Help
    don

Default C4 Antipollution

Can anyone enlighten me as to why I would be experiencing a Faulty antipollution warning on the ecu of my c4 vtr at anly 73K I would have thought this problem a bit pre mature.
    AnyONE???

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Could be lots of things. Visit a dealer or at least someone able to read fault codes to give you more information. More than that, it's a stab in the dark on the basis of you information.

The first question should be to ask about the fuel you are using. You need to use 95 or better. E10 is typically under 95, so it's not suitable.

don

Icon5 C4 antipollution or fussy fueler

Further to my qestion about the C4 VTR antipollution

I must admit to mixing the last 3 tank top ups - 91 RON !!!!! in the NSW country about 50% the only 91 Ive ever put in it, then 98 RON in Newcastle about 20% then topped the tank with 95 RON about 35%.

Could be my C4 is a fussy type ?

The Antiplution warning light has gone out and come on over 3 stop starts with in 2 days over approx 20 Kilometres of city driving.

Lesson Learned - Stick to 98 RON from the same source.
    Although the vehice is overdue for an oil change cold it be the oil breaking down?? The plot thickens.

Driving home from work tonight antipollution light out !

1000+ Posts

Default Citroen fussy ?? never??

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Further to my qestion about the C4 VTR antipollution

I must admit to mixing the last 3 tank top ups - 91 RON !!!!! in the NSW country about 50% the only 91 Ive ever put in it, then 98 RON in Newcastle about 20% then topped the tank with 95 RON about 35%.
    Could be my C4 is a fussy type ?
    The Antiplution warning light has gone out and come on over 3 stop starts with in 2 days over approx 20 Kilometres of city driving.
    Lesson Learned - Stick to 98 RON from the same source.
    Although the vehice is overdue for an oil change cold it be the oil breaking down?? The plot thickens.
    Driving home from work tonight antipollution light out !
    Hi,
    I have a pollution fault shown occasionally on my C5. I just ignore it now. I do not get too fussy about the fuel, although I do try to get 95.
    Don I live in Waratah so if you wish me to plug my scanner in your car to look at the faults just PM me or ring 0427601958. It seems to be true that Citroens do generate 'phantom' fault codes!
    John

don

Default C4 Antipollution the continuing saga

my C4 came home on the back of a truck today
    After travelling only 2 kilometres from work the antipollution light came on again and the motor cut out, the car behind me almost wore my bumper.

Rang citroen assist who suggested to leave the car for half and hour. Still no start after an hour.

John from previous post reply came on over and was kind enought to do a maxi diag with the following codes - PO480,PO350,PO267,PO264,PO135,PO261,PO270,PO444 All fuel related issues.

Just tried the car again after 5 hours but there is no citroen joy.
    looks like a call to Gosford Euro for help and my extended warranty help maybe

Has anyone else had these problems ??

Fellow Frogger

You need to do a little more than just get a list of fault codes. There will be more information for each one, showing you how often and when they have appeared. That would help to locate the root cause. With that list, you might start by checking the battery and alternator condition and suspect parts like the coil, coolant temperature sensor and the manifold purge valve, which relates to the final fault.

don

Default C 4 Antipollution the saga continues

Hi all many thanks f or your help especially jon.

My C4 has decided not start under any circumstances I can present.

So I have given in to pressure and will send the car to Gosford for the closest Dealer to sort out $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Any one got a cheap contact for transportig the vehicle to Gosford from Newcastle?
    Fenwicks local quoted $350 dont know about these things but that seems a little steep

Don

don

Default C4 Antipollution the Saga end result

Hi all
    To the C4 drivers on this forum.

Following my initial thread here is the outcome.

It turns out that the C4 has a known problem with the engine bay fuse box.
    The actual fault occurs in relation to the F1 and F10 fuses ( corrosion under the fuse area ).

Quite alot of c4 owners in england and euro areas have had this problem. See www.c4owners.org

This causes initially a antipollution fault ( Iguess because of a voltage drop from the sender to the ECU via the fuse box )

If you look at my previous posts you will see that the ECU fault codes are all corresponding to the F1 and F10 Fuse area. Ie Ground faults to ignition coils and injection, High speed cooling fan, purge valve open and the no fuel from the fuel pump.

So if you have a depollution fault get it checked out asap and get the voltage loads in the engine bay fuse box checked.

Seems to me that a recall should have been initiated

Gosford Euro Cas have saved tha day once again
    By the Way Cost of repair
    Fuse Box $975.00 Labour do you really want to know ?

And is the new fuse box going to Last I ask myself

Informed is forwarned

Hi Don.

Can I ask what engine you have?

cheers

Matt
    MattG
    2002 Xsara VTS

don

Default c4 antipollution fault

My C4 has the 1.6 16Valve clunker TU5JP4 NFU series

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Hi all
    To the C4 drivers on this forum.

Following my initial thread here is the outcome.

It turns out that the C4 has a known problem with the engine bay fuse box.
    The actual fault occurs in relation to the F1 and F10 fuses ( corrosion under the fuse area ).

Quite alot of c4 owners in england and euro areas have had this problem. See www.c4owners.org

This causes initially a antipollution fault ( Iguess because of a voltage drop from the sender to the ECU via the fuse box )

If you look at my previous posts you will see that the ECU fault codes are all corresponding to the F1 and F10 Fuse area. Ie Ground faults to ignition coils and injection, High speed cooling fan, purge valve open and the no fuel from the fuel pump.

So if you have a depollution fault get it checked out asap and get the voltage loads in the engine bay fuse box checked.

Seems to me that a recall should have been initiated

Gosford Euro Cas have saved tha day once again
    By the Way Cost of repair
    Fuse Box $975.00 Labour do you really want to know ?

And is the new fuse box going to Last I ask myself

Informed is forwarned
    Was your car's lower windscreen seal ok? I found this interesting post on the site you mention (scroll down to the second last post):
    http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/fo...pic.php?107969

Cheers,
    Paul

don

The Lower windscreen seal is a problem fo most of us I fear.
    I check mine once a week and usually have to reclip it back up.
    Be very carefull about how much pressure you apply as the windscreen is unsuported at this point of contact.

I have a problem with rust in the lower left hand door window frame.
    has anyone had bubbling under the rubber trim ?

Fellow Frogger!

My 2003 C5 also has the anti pollution fault coming and going usually comes on after refuelling (only 98 Octane) vehicle has only 92000km. Car has been into Citroen several times for days at a time to have it fixed, and have been told they are Phantom faults, last time it was in for 6 days with service manager using car, got the call fixed, drove away 2 km down the road anti pollution fault came on. Now I just live with it, if I drive for a couple of weeks without it coming on I start to worry, then up it comes and I know it's all back to normal.

don

Default C4 Antipollution Fuse Box Issues

Picked up the C4 today fom Gosford Euro Cars

New Fuse Box fitted No more antipollution faults but interesting change of warning lamp timing

Now when I start the car I get the Stop! and Normal warning lamps plus the engine light

The Engine light stays on till the motor is running and then extinguishes. Befor it went out with the initial display. This is normal but different to the original

The Car is also idling a lot better.

Hope thats it for the problems.

Having removed the rear cover from the old fuse box. There are two layers of circuit board that are not serviceable without a degree in electronics and the top layer that holds the fuses is bedded in 3 mil of silicon. I had to judisciously grind the bottom of the casing off to access the bottom area of the box.

So Its gonna be expensive which ever way you look at it as far as the fix i concerned.

I will post some pictures for all to see in the near future

Thread Information