DS side molding
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: DS side molding

mnm

Default DS side molding

OK, gather round people.. here are a few pics of cars with side molding strips. I know the Pallas cars came standard with these.. right up to the rear reflector.. I've come across these other cars with similar strips but they end towards the back of the rear fender.. is this an add on or particular to cars in other countries?

Thanks

Matthew

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS side molding-5273545157_211884f565_b.jpg   DS side molding-4426764119_72c9ee8115_b.jpg   DS side molding-4391196989_a56faabd06_b.jpg   DS side molding-4404213476_6b57637106_b.jpg   DS side molding-3428662145_b507483947_b.jpg   DS side molding-3370749664_50e1e3b70d_b.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

In a word .. accessory. I think the company called Robri ( or the like ) produced bling for Ds. You may have noticed a few (Sydney mainly ) cars with big bonnet handles..with a stylised R and chevrons in the centre badge...also available for GS cars too. Robri (?) also had aluminium patterned trims that fitted along the lower door outer skins.
    There were other manufacturers that created things like rubber over riders for first nose bumpers..internal bonnet catches for first noses ..they had hand sized gaps beside the number plates for access...
    Fake wire wheel hubcaps were also available at the time....keep looking and you will see lots of bling like T shaped handles for the boot lids.
    There was even a company that offered electric window conversions and full frame for the door windows .. probably more successful in reducing wind noise and water leaks than the standard frameless method.
    Pallas trim meant three stainless steel mouldings on the doors. One at the top near the windows another with the rubber insert at the crease line and another along the very bottom of the door.
    Early third nose cars also had real stainless trims around the headlights and over the front indicators..both later reduced to chromed look plastic.

Matthew. I suspect that all these cars are just local assembly variants of the D cars. The first one from the left is a South African car,because it has the GP number plate(Gauteng Province),and in reality it has been re registered because this model DS 20,would have had a white letter and numbers,with black background number plate.way back in the early 70s,for Johannesburg registered cars.such as TJ (Transvaal Johannesburg) followed by six digits. South Africa assembled many different cars from Europe and Japan,and most likely it was fitted with side trim from there. The other cars are all Dutch registered cars,and if you look at the last one with the dark grey roof,it has a NL sticker on the boot. Again most likely a Dutch version of early D cars. I really enjoy your penchant for finding unusual and peculiar D cars,keep up this great pastime. Cheers Joe
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

mnm

Thanks for the reply Joe. I'm amazed at the depth of information you all have to share on these cars.. down to where it's registered?? sheesh!! I'm glad you enjoy my posts.. I'm having a blast scouring the net for ideas.. heaven knows what my D will end up looking like.

If you've been reading my other post on tail lights you may have seen the pic of my Niece hanging precariously off my Specail. We both share a love of animals.. I thought she'd appreciate this pic I came across today.. puppy daaaawg!

Matthew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS side molding-puppydawg.jpg  

mnm

Yes, I've seen the hood ornament around.. not a fan I have to say.. I think it spoils the lines of the bonnet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS side molding-hood.jpg  

Icon3

Matthew, looking at your last pic (doggy in the window) we could have an interesting discussion on your B and C pillar trim....

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

And also, amongst all these piccies, i'm trying to find somedealer installed vents in the mudguards, but can't see any!
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Tadpole

Default Its a dogs life, DS style

I am just curious, do you know if this DS in the UK?

That is Robri trim. Commonly found on US spec 1971/1972 DS21, D Special, and ID21F.
    Getting very hard to find certain pieces any more.
    If anybody happens to locate a complete set in top shape for a D wagon, I would be interested.

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post

That is Robri trim. Commonly found on US spec 1971/1972 DS21, D Special, and ID21F.
    If anybody happens to locate a complete set in top shape for a D wagon, I would be interested.

Here in South Africa we only had 2 variants of Dees and 2 variants of strips, this DS is correct in every way when it comes to these strips and rear lights etc. It's a South African built one (Port Elizabeth) The other version only used on the pallas versions, It wrapped around the rear wings like european pallas versions.

The robri strips here are not obtaiable and actually not very much liked, many people changed them to pallas versions. My safari has got the robri ones but shot.

I almost wanted to ask you if you can donate yours to my D safari.I like em! I got some strips for a friend for his ID21 break hyd but it's the grey central strip ones. I think around 180 euros from Citroworld. Need to get some for mine now!!

Glad to know the history behind what we called the "cheap" strips

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Sorry something interesting around this African D, it was used in a commercial for a bank group, quite the celebrity

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Matthew, looking at your last pic (doggy in the window) we could have an interesting discussion on your B and C pillar trim....

Cheers
    Chris
    Alas it's not my puppy daaawg! Or my car.. but please explain..

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    I'll not comment too much further, I don't have an anorak

Notice the finer fluting? This would indicate a very early car? I think too the metal used was much thicker than that used on late D Specials etc.

...but over to the real experts, who will give much more accurate and infomed information.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    The European market DS/ID (not Pallas) carried B & C pillar trim with much tighter striations. Very rare in the USA.

Fellow Frogger!

That glorious red car has still got non factory reflectors. Round ones that are not recessed at all. Maybe added to match the round tail lights ????
    It is a mixture of Robri and factory..It has the narrow Pallas strips at the top and bottom of the doors but not the wrap around Pallas reflector trims...It also bears the DS logo on the rear quarter panels typical of a 68/69 Pallas...and the interior door handles do have Pallas "dishes" around the metal door handles...
    Maybe the ravages of time and multiple owners (?) have seen the genuine Pallas side strips replaced. The whitish/light grey factory rubber had a tendency to shorten over time and leave gaps at the ends of the housings.
    The boot lid button/lift handle appears to be plated too ( hard to tell ) lesser finition Ds had a plain polished alloy fitting that looked a grey not reflective chromed colour.
    It would appear that there are extra red ( maybe high intensity fog lights ) lenses peeping through under the bumper over riders too...

This is definetely a South African assembled car,as CorneSouthAfrica says,most likely in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape. In South Africa,a lot of locally made components were fitted to European or Japanese CKD cars assembled there,including all window glass,alternator,rubber trim on the doors, door cards and front and rear seats and sometimes even the tail lights and headlights. The round reflectors on the rear guards are likely to be South African made reflectors,and tail lights. By law,way back in the 70s and 80s, all cars registered in South Africa, had to have additional clear reflectors mounted on the front of the car,usually two of them mounted on each corner of the front of the car,and the DS cars were no exception. Cheers Joe
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

Icon5

[

We may not be talking about the same thing but, I have a full set of panel trim for a D Special I bought as NOS about 6 years ago. This is packaged in the 'Piece Citroen D'Origine' polythene packaging. Stainless with black rubber inserts - narrower than the Pallas trim.

Most people removed this trim because the holding clips were notorious for causing rust in panels, I'd like to fit these to my D, but fix by using a slide in strip behind the trim which will support automotive double sided tape? So no drilling holes in the panels - no rust?

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS side molding-d-special-trim.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

We may not be talking about the same thing but, I have a full set of panel trim for a D Special I bought as NOS about 6 years ago. This is packaged in the 'Piece Citroen D'Origine' polythene packaging. Stainless with black rubber inserts - narrower than the Pallas trim.

Most people removed this trim because the holding clips were notorious for causing rust in panels, I'd like to fit these to my D, but fix by using a slide in strip behind the trim which will support automotive double sided tape? So no drilling holes in the panels - no rust?

Cheers
    Chris
    Wanna sell or trade that?
    I need front fenders, RF door, rear doors, and one of the little pieces for the wagon rear fender.

Quote Originally Posted by Amopallas View Post
    This is definetely a South African assembled car,as CorneSouthAfrica says,most likely in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape. In South Africa,a lot of locally made components were fitted to European or Japanese CKD cars assembled there,including all window glass,alternator,rubber trim on the doors, door cards and front and rear seats and sometimes even the tail lights and headlights. The round reflectors on the rear guards are likely to be South African made reflectors,and tail lights. By law,way back in the 70s and 80s, all cars registered in South Africa, had to have additional clear reflectors mounted on the front of the car,usually two of them mounted on each corner of the front of the car,and the DS cars were no exception. Cheers Joe

Joe you are 100% right, by law the DS20 had to have those ugly reflectors, The pallas top and bottom strips do differ too, they are not roundish but recessed in the centre, front reflectors Oh yes!! I removed mine.

Fritzelhund,

The "dishes" came on all DS's and pallasses here, DS20=DS and DS23= Pallas. Those rear reflectors are standard on the South African DS. ONLY pallas had the wrap around central trim and the PALLAS badge on the C-pillars. We did everything weird here!! On the DS that strip around the headlamps that's supposed to be chrome was black here again only on the DS. Only on this Ds20 "early DS20" the trumpets and roof strips, bumpers were stainless, the interior handles and boot button were chromed. the C-pillar piece that bolts to the bootlid were polished alloy.

In the end we had 3 variants of Dees after '68

DS20 with the ugly big reflectors 1968 to 70,71 ish only DS with the ugly round lights
    DS20 5 spd recessed rear reflector 70 to 72 square DS rear lights
    And the Pallas DS23 Wrap around wing trims late 1972 to 1976 with the 76 having plastic exterior handles

Oh and the interior handles on the pallas had a longer lever than the DS had

Before 68 we just about had ID's but fortunately here and there you get the odd one like a LHD 2nd nose LHM DS21 BVH ,I think about 4 DS21 IE and 3 DS23 IE that I know of. Quite a few safari's mostly privately imported from France. And I think 1 DS19 1958 still restorable but none other left. Dsuper and a few D specials all private imports or done through citroen South Africa on order from customers.

DS23 pallasses is the most left here. The gear ratios between the 20/5 speed and the Pallas differ pallas more of an overdrive and the 20/5 closer to 4th. Now that 20/5 gearbox mated to a 21 is a charm!!

A private company in Durban I think did a conversion from a 20 to 21, they got sleeves and pistons from Citroen France

I am going off topic sorry but there's a bit of South African history, lots more to tell tho LOL
    Sorry Matthew, I couldn't resist giving a bit of history.

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

mnm

As Martha Stewart would say: " It's so good".

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by CorneSoutAfrica View Post

I am going off topic sorry but there's a bit of South African history, lots more to tell tho LOL
    Sorry Matthew, I couldn't resist giving a bit of history.

Cheers
    Corne
    As a misplaced Durbanite methinks you need to start a new thread about the history of the DS/ID in SA!!

Icon12

Wanna sell or trade that?
    I need front fenders, RF door, rear doors, and one of the little pieces for the wagon rear fender.
    They appear to be available as repro parts, and Geert would no doubt sell per item?

http://www.citroworld.com/tableaux/i...79&itemId=1658

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

They appear to be available as repro parts, and Geert would no doubt sell per item?

http://www.citroworld.com/tableaux/i...79&itemId=1658

Cheers
    Chris
    Thank you for the link.
    I have looked at a set of those with one of my buddies up in Canada whose wagon was built just before mine. His is 19. Mine is 20.
    I am going to hold out and see if I can get the real ones, even if I have to buy them one piece at a time, which is what I have been doing.

In response to harrisson_citroen earlier in the thread, here is a pic of my car with the dealer installed vents. The vents have a wire mesh. My understanding is that every dealer did them differently. There wasn't a lot of uniformity in the installation or exact location.
    Steve
    Last edited by DStragic; 16th March 2011 at 04:24 PM.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DStragic View Post
    In response to harrisson_citroen earlier in the thread, here is a pic of my car with the dealer installed vents. The vents have a wire mesh. My understanding is that every dealer did them differently. There wasn't a lot of uniformity in the installation or exact location.
    Steve
    Well, thank you for your effort.
    But I mean, really?
    THAT is a dealer installed vent?
    More like Bozzo took to the DS with tin snips.
    Thank you again but am still not sold on the idea.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information