• Register
  • Help
    Vic
    Tadpole

Default Citroen C5 suspension question

Hello All,

Advertisement

I have a 2002 C5 Exclusive.

After 1 hour of driving the front hydraulic suspension appears to drop and the car bouncers on the springs (feels like a clown car) and becomes dangerous to drive.

The hydraulic fluid has been changed and isn't leaking, the pump has been tested and seems fine. 2 Citroen mechanics later and still no answers.

Any thoughts?

Vic

Fellow Frogger

If it's one end only, it's likely to be the front height sensor (an electronic unit) OR the hydraulic pump unit (aka the BHI) has a fault in either the ECU (black box on top of the pump) or the solenoid/valving. The heght corrector is the less expensive of the two items.

It doesn't have springs. The struts are mounted on a rubber mount at the top and the spheres are designed to rupture if they are overloaded. The sort of driving you are doing could rupture the spheres, if that's not already happened. If it bounces, it's probably on the bump stops.

Fellow Frogger

It's possible that one of the front struts is leaking internally as it sinks. If this is the case, the leaking strut would have a very high flow rate of fluid from it's low pressure return hose (under the wheelarch, inner side of strut with a clip around it), while a good one would not. You'd replace the strut unit in that case.

If you plan to check this yourself, please do not kill yourself under the car! Make sure you take precautions to prevent yourself being crushed under the car.

Vic
    Tadpole

Default C5 02 Suspension problem

Hey Thanks David,

It does make sense what your saying.

I do tinker on cars but never a Citroen, I've heard the term sphere but didn't know what that meant; so your comments are helpful. When I 1st got the C5 the left hand low pressure line was leaking leaving a significant amount of oil on the garage floor, this line was replaced but the problem still exists which may support your idea that atleast 1 strut is leaking internally, I assume one should replace both at the same time (sounds expensive).

I guess I need to go away and do some homework re costs of parts.

Thanks for your thoughts

Vic

If there has been a hydraulic oil leak, then maybe it is low on hydraulic fluid. I don't know if the C5 does have a warning message for the low fluid level. When ours was low on hydraulic fluid the steering started getting sticky and the pump made some alarming noises.
    You can check the level by removing the black plastic cover under the bonnet on the driver's side. the hydraulic oil reservoir should be then visible and you can see if the oil level is up to the mark (as far as I remember there is one).
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Icon3 no beep beep beep!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    I don't know if the C5 does have a warning message for the low fluid level.
    No, there is no low level warning on the C5, another first for a hydraulic Citroen?

They do seem less prone to leaks than earlier models, the leaking oil has a tendancy to turn to a honey viscocity when exposed to the atmosphere, so you would have a decent leak for evidence to appear on the garage floor.

I'll remind that also different to previous models, level is checked with suspension set to LOW, and correct level is just below the filler basket. Use only LDS (orange fluid)

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Vic
    Tadpole

Default C5 Suspension problem

The hydraulic fluid has been replaced and the level correct.

So I guess exploring sphere re-gassing and or censor testing maybe the go?

Regards

Vic

Fellow Frogger

Firstly, have the battery and alternator been checked properly? You want your battery tested with a proper battery tester.

Have a listen to the pump. Normal operation is that it will cut in when you change the height or open the door in the morning. It should cut out after it's adjusted the height, which should be well inside a minute's operation, often under 10 seconds. If it runs all the time, then it may be due to an internal leak.

Flat spheres would not cause the car to drop suddently, but would give you a very harsh ride. Set the car at the normal ride height and push down at each corner. You should feel similar compliance at each corner with some difference between the front and rear. If one corner is very hard, then that sphere may have failed. It would be unlikely that all spheres are flat at once, so you chould be able to feel a difference between corners.

Since you say you have an 'Exclusive', does this mean you have a V6? If so, it has Hydractive suspension with an extra sphere for each axle. You could look into whether you have a sticking hydractive unit that switches the third sphere in or out. If it sticks and then suddenly opens the valve to the third sphere when you are driving, it will drop suddenly, but should regain it's ride height in under 10 seconds. The ride would also be quite harsh at the end with the sticky valve problem. I had this on my Xantia and it can happen on XM's, but would be a longshot on a C5. More likely the pump unit or a strut with an internal leak. Used parts would be OK.

Vic
    Tadpole

Default Vic's C5

G'Day Fella's,

Just wanted to post the outcome of my C5 Hydraulic problems.

Equipped with my new found information from you blokes I went to my local Citroen mechanic and discussed what I wanted him to check.

So, on testing the Height Sensor the mechanic established there was no power and the sensor itself was floating around not mounted to the sub-frame where it belongs.

No fuses blown, after checking all plugs in the loom for the hydraulics power was returned. It appears something of a dry, poor, connection was creating a short.

So for the first time since purchasing the car I have the front suspension working correctly (drives very nicely).

Question; since owning the car I've gone through 2 ignition coils. Are they like light globes that simply blow periodically? What is a reasonable life span for a coil? Should I only buying a certain brand of Coil?

Regards Vic

Thread Information