Citroen AX GTi wont start!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Citroen AX GTi wont start!!!

Hello..
    Im having a real problem with my AX Gti.. After parking it outside my home.. I have gone to restart it. And it just will not go.. I have checked the fuel pump, the coil, the plugs the ECU unit, fuses and everything else I could imagine would be a reason for it not starting. It is turning over.. But starting it isnt!

For a car that I have driven for a a few years now, without any problems and without issues.. Its driving me bonkers trying to get going again. I have searched the internet trying to see if other owners have had similar problems - but after trying various fixes. It still wont kick over.

Has anyone any idea of what it could be? - This is a much loved vehicle... And If I can fix the problem easily I would prefer to have a go before I send it off to the auto electrician or my wonderful mechanic.

Advertisement

- Any help would be seriously appreciated... Thanks...

Is it getting spark?

Fellow Frogger!

Default ax

there is a thread a while back about wires in the loom to the injectors (?) breaking

What about a new fuel filter??

How long has it been sitting? Could the fuel have gone off?

I am suffering similar problems with one of my GSes. It's driving me mental.
    Last edited by andrewj; 14th March 2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: type to fast...

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
    Hello..
    Im having a real problem with my AX Gti.. After parking it outside my home.. I have gone to restart it. And it just will not go.. I have checked the fuel pump, the coil, the plugs the ECU unit, fuses and everything else I could imagine would be a reason for it not starting. It is turning over.. But starting it isnt!

For a car that I have driven for a a few years now, without any problems and without issues.. Its driving me bonkers trying to get going again. I have searched the internet trying to see if other owners have had similar problems - but after trying various fixes. It still wont kick over.

Has anyone any idea of what it could be? - This is a much loved vehicle... And If I can fix the problem easily I would prefer to have a go before I send it off to the auto electrician or my wonderful mechanic.

- Any help would be seriously appreciated... Thanks...
    See if it will run on Aerostart (aerosol can), take the air cleaner off and spray down the inlet, if it won't start it will be an ignition problem.
    You must have the only GTi in the country?
    Graham

Thanks for all of the comments.. Dave - I will check the spark this morning, Gezza- I will also check the fuel filter.. Alpine - the car was running beautifully before I parked it the previous afternoon. - but I will check them too. Andrew- the car was only sitting overnight before I tried to start it again. Although repeated attempts to start her almost killed the battery. Thanks again for all the help. I will post another comment after I have checked/tried these things.. Cheers..

It's not out of fuel is it?

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    It's not out of fuel is it?
    That's the first question to ask!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Well - after spending the majority of the day-replacing the fuel pump and checking injector wiring (which there apparently is only one) single point fuel Injection. I have found that there is no spark. Thank goodness I have access to some parts and will try replacing it to see if that works. Oh and yes. It has half a tank if fuel in it.. Fingers crossed it's the coil.. Thanks again to all of your great comments and suggestions. Oh and Graham - between my dad and I we now own 3 gti's..

VIP Sponsor

Well - after spending the majority of the day-replacing the fuel pump and checking injector wiring (which there apparently is only one) single point fuel Injection. I have found that there is no spark. Thank goodness I have access to some parts and will try replacing it to see if that works. Oh and yes. It has half a tank if fuel in it.. Fingers crossed it's the coil.. Thanks again to all of your great comments and suggestions. Oh and Graham - between my dad and I we now own 3 gti's..
    Are you sure they aren't GTs? I think the GTis were multipoint injection, certainly never officially brought into Australia.
    Graham

That is correct Graham they are mulltipoint injection with 4 stud hubs too (thats the giveaway)... differant seats dash etc etc

They will be ax gt "i" but only single point injection and 75bhp

If you have other Ax's you can swap parts from maybe try a different CAS (crank angle sensor).

Dave

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    That is correct Graham they are mulltipoint injection with 4 stud hubs too (thats the giveaway)... differant seats dash etc etc

They will be ax gt "i" but only single point injection and 75bhp
    Yes, GT injection. I guess if you can call an SL injection 505 an SLi then you call a GT injection a GTi, but in this case there was a seperate higher spec GTi model.
    Graham

I know i have had em in the uk

Although they aint as quick as the ax gt

But with 100bhp for the uk gti and only 75bhp for the aussie gt'i' there is a big differance and they only did that so they could put air con and get it to idle correctly...

Default Try swopping out the dizzy.

No Dave,

They don't have a Crank Angle Sensor.

They use a transistorised ignition with an electronic module bolted onto the side of the distributor, and they take the tacho pulse from the ignition and feed it to the monomotronic to tell it the engine is turning and when to inject.

Check that the coil is getting 12 volts on one side (ie one pair of the connector pins on the coil) . I reckon you should swap the distributor with one off your other AXs as we had lots of trouble with modules on the one AXGT (or young Ken) had.

You will need to reset the timing using a strobe or like (Boy it is a long time since I have done that - CX doesn't get much running these days).

Cheers,

Ken W

Ugh, I forgot they were the old jetronic.

Ken to the rescue

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Ugh, I forgot they were the old jetronic.

Ken to the rescue
    Not Jetronic, Bosch Monopoint.
    The 205 Si was a step ahead in that it used a crank angle sensor and wasted spark ignition in its Marelli Monopoint system.
    Graham

Well-first of all.. Thankyou for all of your helpful guidance to what the problem could have been. I spent a day pulling bits off the 'parts' car. And after swapping the coil. The air filter system. Ecu.. And cleaning all of the muck off the engine.. Im wrapped to say .. Hey presto-it started first go.. Resetting the Ecu system had the car sounding very rough when it kicked over. But after leaving it running for a few minutes without touching the accelerator it seemed to gradually set itself to a nice idle. Now after taking the car for a short trip-it seems to be running better than ever!
    Oh - and thank you also for the information on the gt/gti differences. All of the cars we have are GT's with single point injection systems. Although they are still quite rare. Still-they are so much fun to drive. I don't understand why they weren't more popular over here.
    Thank you so so much again guys... I don't think I could of done it without your help.

The suzuki swift gti killed sales off the citroen

What an absolute joke! The Suzuki swift is bloody ugly and I wouldn't think anything near the same level of performance that the axgt is. I spose the ease of replacement parts and the lower cost of servicing would of turned people off too. Very sad! Oh well. Cheers gezza!

VIP Sponsor

What an absolute joke! The Suzuki swift is bloody ugly and I wouldn't think anything near the same level of performance that the axgt is. I spose the ease of replacement parts and the lower cost of servicing would of turned people off too. Very sad! Oh well. Cheers gezza!
    Talking Swift GTi here and definitely quicker than Ax.
    Certainly not as good to drive though.
    Graham

Too bad you guys didn't get the carb version of the AXGT.... it's WAAYYYYY faster than the mono-point injection version that you got down under!

Truely the most fun you can have in a car, with your clothes still on! (or off )
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

^^^ thats right even better if you get the twin carbs off the early ax gt (1.3 sportif) or the 205 xs

Another advantage the Swift GTI had that it cost about 14K rather than 22K for one of the 30 AX GT's that were imported by Franzcars into Australia.

Fortunately I didn't have to pay 22K but was given my AX for the cost of a tow. Once I get it registered I hope to get it to the All France Day in Sydney.

I order to get it into top shape I need 2 front wheel arch covers and the drivers side sill moulding. If anyone has a can help me find any of these panels I would be most appreciative.

Mike

Thread Information