Worth saving??
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Worth saving??

Default Worth saving??

Tomorrow I'll be looking at a DS about an hour from my house...amazing that these cars keep turning up around here. These things are rarer than hens teeth here, can't imagine that there can be much left to it...it's close to the ocean and from what I can tell in this pick it might be a Pallas?(hubcaps?) also it appears to have rust around the roof..not a good sign..maybe body panels will be decent? Undercarriage will be nonexistent if it's sat in this position a few years. Car is in beautiful Charlestown, Rhode Island...http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...allCitroen.jpg

Advertisement

Knipdlo knows some things about that car.

JBN

With a nom de plume of Iron Oxide, may I suggest that a natural attraction exists and that old D's find you irresistible.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    With a nom de plume of Iron Oxide, may I suggest that a natural attraction exists and that old D's find you irresistible.

John
    Ha ha...believe me I have a nack of unearthing the most rusted out examples...not too hard in these parts.

looking at the external door handles. it will most likely be a 69/70,and I believe US spec cars of that era had those uncovered sealed beam headlights,like this car has. The problem with DS cars that have been sitting outside uncovered exposed to the elements.and worse still if in a salt water laden environment,as you describe near the ocean,is that while the rust may look superficial,it's what is under the panels and the chassis,that will be the death knell of such cars,because the rust will be very extensive,and very expensive to rectify. However ,I could be wrong. Every DS or D is worth saving,if it can be done. Cheers,and how the heck do you find these rare cars(in the US) ?? Joe
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

Quote Originally Posted by iron oxide View Post
    Tomorrow I'll be looking at a DS about an hour from my house...amazing that these cars keep turning up around here. These things are rarer than hens teeth here, can't imagine that there can be much left to it...it's close to the ocean and from what I can tell in this pick it might be a Pallas?(hubcaps?) also it appears to have rust around the roof..not a good sign..maybe body panels will be decent? Undercarriage will be nonexistent if it's sat in this position a few years. Car is in beautiful Charlestown, Rhode Island...http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...allCitroen.jpg

If you have a close look at the front indicator it appears to be winking at you.

It's a sign man, it's a sign...you must save this car!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I think it looks staggeringly good on the "outside" given it parked under trees covered in leaves. Who know, you might found a sound hull under that very reasonable looking panels .......

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

The roof has popped along the edge at least. I reckon it will be a save parts only prospect. Chassis rails will be paper like.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Bam.
    UFO calls it.

And it is not a Pallas, which I believe Iron Oxide's car is.
    And it has to be a 21 to be any real use to him as a parts car.

Well that was interesting...I don't know if any of you have been to the Romeo and Juliet shrine in Verona, Italy? You'll find a small courtyard with a small balcony above and a bronze statue of Juliet with the *cough*mamory glands worn smooth by everyone's caresses and kisses(*sigh*..mine too). Anyway something strange is every square inch of said courtyard is covered in hearts and initials as well as love notes etc. etc. Well this car sits at the end of a parking lot at an establishment called the Fantastic Umbrella Factory(?!)..quite the eclectic mix of hippie shop's, gardens and Emu farm amongst other things...
    It appears the farm is on the chopping block hence the need to move some cars on the property, a Carmen Ghia, model A Ford etc etc.

Wierd thing is this D Special(?) probably a 69 or 70 model has been sitting on the ground since 85, you can imagine the state, pretty much nothing left to the chassis or body panels worth saving, car has been left outside since then. But here is the interesting part, this car is covered in graffiti scratched into the paint with nails(?) full of hearts with arrows and small love messages, quite charming really(if I wasn't a Citroen fan). Reminded me of the courtyard in Verona.
    This car was no doubt a beautiful car when parked, owner claims it was running when parked. Completely unmolested and complete with what looks like new rubber(in 1985) a green vinyl roof and black vinyl interior. The car is claimed by the tin worm but I'm sure is loaded with great hydraulic parts, great bumpers(front and rear) but isn't a Pallas which mine is. Someone should claim this car and soon or it will go to the crushes...probably a couple hundred bucks and it would be yours...

I just happen to have aquired a d safari which was advertised by UFO.
    It had a little rust. I started by pulling it up onto the truck by the tow bar. It came away with the rear floor and one of the dickie seats. then I wrapped the rope around the rear trailing arm which worked well until the floor seperated just behind the front seat. So I then wraped the rope around the front seat itself and managed to get it onto the tray just before the engine bay came off. Now that's what I call rust!!!
    Is it worth saving? I'm thinking of making the first stretched Safari.

UFO

Turns out you may have had a competitor for that car Bill. Someone phoned us about it yesterday morning. Anyway, I'm glad the remnants of that old car that belonged to a deceased member of CCCNSW has gone to you for a good purpose.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information