Citroen CXs - what are they like?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon5 Citroen CXs - what are they like?

Hi Folks,

Whilst I already have one Citroen and two Alfas, my curiosity re certain cars of the past remains ever active.

In short, I've always had a soft spot for the Citroen CX. I think it stems from two things - the futuristic styling of the car (especially the dashboard), and my memories as a 12 year old of sitting in a CX's front seat at the 1975 Adelaide Car Show and being stunned at the incredible comfort.

Advertisement

I'd love to know what people's impressions of the CX driving experience are. Bearing in mind the only Citroen I've ever driven is a Xantia, in what way are the two cars similar and how are they different?

Acquisition-wise is there a preferred option? Are 5 speed manuals preferable to C-matics? Is the Pallas preferable to a GTI, etc?

I'd love to hear people's views on this and other CX matters...

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    199 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed

I have a C-matic and enjoy driving it very much. The car floats along and is very comfortable but I've not travelled very far in it. When I pick up my latest acquisition I'll have a long drive ahead of me and if you can wait until after Cit-in will give you an impression after a real drive (thousands of kms in a fortnight)

The real trick seems to be to get one without too much rust, has its hydraulics sorted and not leaking and has a good motor and gearbox. The old hands will tell you it is on the same shelf as rocking horse shit and hens' teeth. The car I drive needs repainting but is just about sorted mechanically/hydraulically- only needs rubber bushes in front suspension replaced. A bigish task but one to do.

I've been trawling around looking for cars for sale to add to the CX Database/Register and have seen a couple that look very clean - from several thousand miles away.

Grab one (or two) while they are at bargain basement prices. Don't think they will ever be any cheaper.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

What are they like ??
    Imagine a sauna with windows on wheels... and LHM leaks burning off the exhaust rather than steam

seeya,
    Shane AL.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Here's a road test on the locally sold CX

Magazine Article: Citroen CX2400
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

I currently have a Xantia VSX 8V automatic. Previously I have owned a CX 2400 C-matic (for over 6 years) and a CX25IE automatic for 3 years (in the UK).

I first saw a CX whilst living in South Africa in 1975-76. I thought it looked stunning, long, low, sleek with a concave rear window and a single wiper blade. In the mid 80's in Sydney I saw one for sale in North Sydney for $8,500, which was cheaper than a used Commodore. There was a Wheels article on owning a used CX. I was hooked and bought one.

The plus points of a CX.
    • looks and style
    • very comfortable. The headrests are unique in that the squab can be unclipped and inverted and clipped back. This then makes a very good headrest for a sleeping passenger, as the cushion supports the neck
    • fantastic ergonomics, especially compared to a Xantia. With eyes closed, all controls can be operated by feel. Indicators, lights, wipers, horn are operated by the finger tips, the hands still on the wheel
    • the doors are opened and closed by holding the handle. The "trigger" to unlock the door falls naturally to the index finger as it holds the handle. A stranger can open the door on a dark night just by "grabbing the handle and pulling the trigger". You need two hands in a Xantia to do that.
    • all the heater controls are operated by 3 levers between the front seats. They can all be operated on a dark night by feel, including the aircon button which is nearby. The aircon button on the Xantia is hit or miss during the daytime because you can't see the LED and there is no in/out position that you can feel, like on the CX.
    • all the warning lights are easily visible, unlike the Xantia where the hands on the wheel obscure some (eg the parking/headlight/high beam)
    • the steering wheel is single spoke, giving excellent visibility of the instrument panel and uninterrupted (by spokes) grip on the rim.
    • the Diravi steering is 2.5 turns lock to lock, about half of a Xantias. It holds the road wheels at the angle the driver selects, oblivious to the condition of the road (eg potholes, kerbs)
    • the single wiper wipes the water off the screen. The designer saw no need to put on another wiper blade to flick water where the first blade had just cleaned. Sadly that designer was not involved with the Xantia, so you have the one blade to clean and the other blade to flick water.
    • the instrument panel is designed to give you the answer, not the whole menu from which to chose. If you are travelling at 60kph, 60 is what you see on the backlit revolving drum, clearly, day or night or in a tunnel during the day. On the Xantia, there is a needle that points to the speed you are travelling at. It also shows you a wish list of speed up to 220kph (a speed that the car can't reach in its dreams). Half the speeds shown cost you money, so you don't use them. During the day, particularly in tunnels, you can't see a thing, unless you drive with the lights on, as the speedo and tacho aren't backlit (like they were on the BX).
    The early CXs looked the best with their brightwork and stainless steel bumpers. The series 2 introduced plastic bumpers and visually gave the car a heavier look. The CX 25IE automatic would probably be the best one to get. A lower revving motor than the CX2400. The ZF automatic complements the CX as a limosine. A go pedal, a stop pedal and sensitive steering. A very comfortable and stable all day tourer at 160kph, unaffected by side winds.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Brilliant cars and very cheap at the moment. I would agree with all the plus points mentioned above, so I will only give you the minuses.

• They get quite warm and the air con usually (no arguments please) doesn't work that well. If the air con is not working then they are not a summer car.
    • Very thirsty for the size of the engine. Up to 13 l/100km.
    • Door panels warp in the aussie sun.

I'm sure others will think of something. I wouldn't buy one for a daily driver because of the fuel consumption, but almost everything else about them is wonderful. Of course they require attention as they get older.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erikbm View Post
    Brilliant cars and very cheap at the moment. I would agree with all the plus points mentioned above, so I will only give you the minuses.

• They get quite warm and the air con usually (no arguments please) doesn't work that well. If the air con is not working then they are not a summer car.
    • Very thirsty for the size of the engine. Up to 13 l/100km.
    • Door panels warp in the aussie sun.

I'm sure others will think of something. I wouldn't buy one for a daily driver because of the fuel consumption, but almost everything else about them is wonderful. Of course they require attention as they get older.

Erik
    That'd be my summary too. I'd substitute "hot" for "quite warm".

A friend who owned one in the 1980s used to drive it from Adelaide to the snow country. His descriptions were apt:

1. We'd get in the CX and point it at the snow country and soon afterwards would arrive comfortably
    2. At first when you drive them you think everything is wrong but after a while you realise that they are just perfect and everything else is wrong.

They have almost nothing in common with the road feel of a Xantia.

I'm greatly enjoying having one of each. I also remember their arrival in Adelaide - the style was just breathtaking for the time (pretty damn good now).
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    I've been trawling around looking for cars for sale to add to the CX Database/Register and have seen a couple that look very clean - from several thousand miles away.

Grab one (or two) while they are at bargain basement prices. Don't think they will ever be any cheaper.
    The 25 GTI Donat is selling is a good one - with a working aircon as well.
    I am yet to update the database with the couple of cars Ross emailed me yesterday, been busy last couple of night with installing a new starter motor to the Prestige (auto box blocking a good access to one of the bolts seems to make it very difficult to remove) and then attending CCCQ meeting.
    The c-matic is actually very nice to drive but very thirsty. I can't get under 13l / 100km. ZF automatic is smooth but IMHO not as much fun. I haven't driven manuals that much but people usually complain about the clutch.
    When the maintenance is neglected there are lots of small things to go wrong. If you find the one where everything is sorted they are the finest cars you can find.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

CXs are cool.

Also troublesome, hot, comfy, fun, strong, quirky, different, getting older, pretty easy to work on, complicated, stylish, chromed, cheap, heavy.....
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Different.

The Diravi steering, the very smooth ride means you feel very disconnected at first.

When my Dad had one when they were new, it was a love hate relationship compared to my very sensible Pug 404/504. However I could not get it out of my head and decided I had to buy one to settle the argument once and for all. That was in 1993 and I have never looked back. They are a brilliant machine in every respect.

1. A C-matic or Auto would be my choice. Suits the character of the car
    2. The aircon can be made to work quite well - handles 95% of days no problem.
    3. Fuel economy is not great, but not that bad considering their age and size. I get 11 in the city and mid 9s on a run

There was a 79 C-matic for sale a few weeks ago which would be a good candidate. You should do like I did and give it 6 months; if you don't like it then you can pass it on. In my case after 3 weeks I was on the right wavelength.

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Emo

Agree with Greg

My 79 C-matic has just been so much fun - a car I have really connected with. "Smooth" and they look fantastic. My kids love it and their friends think it is cool... and the air con (in both my cars actually) works fine.

Probably not the car to consider if you're looking for something pristine. Hey, they are a 30 year old, undervalued car with some interesting design features.

Knowing a good mechanic and good auto electrician is a good idea, but I've got no complaints about reliability.

I recently bought a an 84 GTi 5 speed, so my 79 C-matic is offically for sale. Drop me a PM if you want a chat
    Cheers ,
    Tim

'98 Xantia Activa
    '57 Pontiac Superchief

Not that it gets me anywhere, but Emos CX is a great example of the marque if you're keen. Well loved and well serviced...and one that will reap the rewards of a little time getting to know it.
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Emo

Shane, I had that article, but for the life of me couldn't find it when we had a thread discussion a few years ago on the relative merits of the early CX2200s compared to the later Pallas.

Confess that I agree entirely. Dad had a mid 70s CX2200 4sp, which I did enjoy driving, but it was not a patch on the 79 CX2400 Pallas. At the end of the day those basic charateristics of a car don't go away
    Cheers ,
    Tim

'98 Xantia Activa
    '57 Pontiac Superchief

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Dammery View Post
    Not that it gets me anywhere, but Emos CX is a great example of the marque if you're keen. Well loved and well serviced...and one that will reap the rewards of a little time getting to know it.
    +1

I just wish I had somewhere to store it, otherwise it would of found an owner by now!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Andrew,

I had a 1978 CX2400 Pallas C-Matic for a couple of years in the late 80's...I loved it....

BUT...

it hadn't been very well maintained and subsequently cost me 3 months pay to get remotely right....

My theory with a CX would be to pilot one first. The Diravi steering is very different to any other 4 door car on the road and does take a decent drive to get used to.

Knowing that you're mechanically savvy, I'd order the tick list as 1) minimal rust 2) decent interior and 3) mechanically strong.....if you get the first 2 items, the 3rd should be a given as it is likely to have come from a caring and mechanically sympathetic home that has looked after the body and interior. If you can find one that has been garaged, even better.

From what I can gather given it is now over 20yrs since I've had one, Automatics and C-Matics are generally reliable. Engines are strong, like pretty much all French OHV engines to be honest.

Electrics are, well, at least 25yrs old and up to 35yrs old so can be problematic....Older, unsorted Citroens seem to have more than their fair share of electrical gremlins with electrical issues often implicated in gearbox issues.....

Interiors could start looking scruffy within 12 months of new....but door trims are known to be both expensive to locate new and can look rough....

They are warmer to drive in summer with, on early cars, very poor airconditioning. Later cars had dual compressors which compromised the boot space a tad, but did give rear passengers a lovely cold back head....but Canberra means you can use these most of the year without airconditioning provided you can park undercover.....and I have heard/read about a modification that can be done to the fresh air intake to improve flow-through performance

Oh, and I'm happy to come looking with you too....

Hi folks,
    here's my view. My CX was a great car. The ride was superb, the style was unique, the reliability was excellent, the comfort was amazing, but it was complex. I never had the aircon working on mine.
    Mine was fairly low in total kilometers driven, but age of components worked against it in the end. It needed to have the engine/gearbox removed. It needed the crankshaft seals replaced, the rubber boots on the driveshafts replaced, the head gasket replaced etc etc. Had this been done it would have remained a good car.
    I sold it to an Aussie Frogs member, who was going to totally restore it. Unfortunately that never happened.
    About a year later I bought the Xantia.
    I prefer the Xantia in almost every respect. The ride is great, I think it's as good as the CX. The Xantia is more fuel efficient, has no rust, and has a much more advanced electronic ignition etc etc. The Xantia air con is fantastic , and I like the power steering. I like the electric windows, mirrors, cruise control, leather seats, remote central locking etc.
    The Xantia will do me just fine for a few years yet, until I can afford a really cheap used C6!

Cheers....George 1/8th

mmmmm.......a 'cheap' C6......I'm thinking that in 2yrs time, a low klm C6 diesel should be in the High $40's range.....

Roll on end-of-lease on Westinghouse.....

Icon7

Oh, and I'm happy to come looking with you too....
    Hi Chris,

If I do start searching, I'll certainly ask you to come along.

I have to admit I love this Bulletin Board - the Citroen fraternity, though spread far and wide, are a great bunch, helpful, enthusiastic and accommodating...

Thanks to date folks - I appreciate your thoughts, and found the road test interesting - sometimes journalists were objective!

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed
    Last edited by XantiaHead; 10th March 2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Additional text provided...

I remember my father having an argument with his boss back in the early 80's when he had to go to Sydney on business once.
    His boss kept saying that the company was paying for it so he wanted him to go first class luxury all the way, my father kept saying yes so do I so let me take my Citroen. trying to explain to a Holden driver that 8 hrs behind the wheel of a CX2400 was far more comfortable than 1 hr in an aeroplane was imposible.

During the mid 90's I had a customer complaining about his Xantia saying how boring it was compared to his CX, every drive wasn't a challenge, with the CX he got to see some wonderful parts of the country while he waited for the RACV and just getting to his destination was considered a major event, the Xantia is boring after that.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I'm not sure we can believe Dave can we .... I seem to remember he got an old Renault 12 ..... and never really progressed from there for decades ... until he found an old 406...

Now sensible people, they get a Renault 12 then within a few months sell it off and get a nice CX2400.... After about 12years driving that (from 16years of age).... Find out they must update, so went out and purchased a nice old CX2500 GTi Turbo.... I still haven't found a car that's an upgrade from this.... So even though I've been driving it for 8years, it looks like it'll be around for many more years...er... decades yet

Will there ever be a car made that's a upgrade from a Citroen CX GTi Turbo ... that doesn't have one of the following problems:

--drives like a lump of sh1T
    --has a crashy ride
    --is gutless
    --has shocking steering that follows road cambers and external influances...
    --steering that's crap to use and is stupidly undergeared.
    --has god awful strut suspension
    --garbage overly grabby, horribly assisted brakes that date back to the 1920's in the way they work.
    --handles poorly

I think I need to get something interesting .... possibly a nice sideways step to something like a SM, GS or Traction (as well as the CX of course!).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

try a cadillac you could be surprised power, handling (who would think) great a/c mega room economical parts and sucks fuel just like a cx turbo I know it heresy but a top ride for small bucks!!!!! curse the speeding fines
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I'm not sure we can believe Dave can we .... I seem to remember he got an old Renault 12 ..... and never really progressed from there for decades ... until he found an old 406...

Now sensible people, they get a Renault 12 then within a few months sell it off and get a nice CX2400.... After about 12years driving that (from 16years of age).... Find out they must update, so went out and purchased a nice old CX2500 GTi Turbo.... I still haven't found a car that's an upgrade from this.... So even though I've been driving it for 8years, it looks like it'll be around for many more years...er... decades yet

Will there ever be a car made that's a upgrade from a Citroen CX GTi Turbo ... that doesn't have one of the following problems:

--drives like a lump of sh1T
    --has a crashy ride
    --is gutless
    --has shocking steering that follows road cambers and external influances...
    --steering that's crap to use and is stupidly undergeared.
    --has god awful strut suspension
    --garbage overly grabby, horribly assisted brakes that date back to the 1920's in the way they work.
    --handles poorly

I think I need to get something interesting .... possibly a nice sideways step to something like a SM, GS or Traction (as well as the CX of course!).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    The CX was my fathers not mine, I wouldn't own one unless it wes free. his first Cit was a big 6 back in the 50's so he's had the bug a long time. My brother has it to, he has a BX16V and a Xantia. Me, I got lumbered with 505's, 405's and currently a 406, not to mention several good old R12's.

I used to tell my father and brother that with every Cit should come a free R12 so you can go pick up spare parts.

Oh, I did have a really nice GS once, I liked that one very much, it one a prize at a Cit concourse.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I used to tell my father and brother that with every Cit should come a free R12 so you can go pick up spare parts.
    Now I see the problem... You don't have "The phone number". If you need something you don't need a Renault 12 ... what you do is ring '(03) 9338 8191' ..... some guy on the other end will probably groan when he realises who it is.... So you complain for a bit about how much they want for spare parts... and the fact the should keep more stock for proper cars like Citroen CX's.

Then you just check your letterbox the next morning and you'll find something like a CX wagon rear suspension boot in there so you can get the car back together that someone has left in your drive blocking up the yard.

See lifes simple ... You just need the right phone number

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Now I see the problem... You don't have "The phone number". If you need something you don't need a Renault 12 ... what you do is ring '(03) 9338 8191' ..... some guy on the other end will probably groan when he realises who it is.... So you complain for a bit about how much they want for spare parts... and the fact the should keep more stock for proper cars like Citroen CX's.

Then you just check your letterbox the next morning and you'll find something like a CX wagon rear suspension boot in there so you can get the car back together that someone has left in your drive blocking up the yard.

See lifes simple ... You just need the right phone number

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Ahh so thats my problem. Everytime I ring that number its busy, must be the wrong time of the day

Many years ago someone from your area who was new to Cits and just bought a CX rang me said how worried about there reliability he was and when I asked why he said because he knows my phone number off by heart.

We actually used Dads CX as our wedding car, beautiful immaculate white CX with dark tinted windows and during the whole wedding it only broke down once so that was a record.
    Wasn't its fault though, it was raining and because the windscreen is so angled back the white ribbons were almost at the same angle as the glass so the wipers hit them and everything ended up in a tangled mess.
    Last edited by David Cavanagh; 10th March 2011 at 07:10 PM.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Fellow Frogger!

Wow, this thread takes me back!

In the early 1980's we lived on a farm in the Adelaide Hills and every trip of any consequence required us to traverse about 10 kilometres of very ordinary dirt road - in fact it was part of Mitsubishi's test track at the time.

Our family car was a Pug 504GLD; one with the tombstone seats which, with my farmer's back, I found very comfortable. However, late one Saturday afternoon a local lad on the way to the drive-in with some mates took us out on a blind crest and that was the end of the 504.

The 505 had been on the market for a while, so we "upgraded" to that. Although it also handled the dirt well, I couldn't get comfortable in its smaller, squishy foam seats.

Somehow I created an opportunity to have a look at a CX in Adelaide one day. I couldn't believe the comfort - but what was such a modern car doing with non-cancelling indicators?

After a bit of hunting, we found a very tidy C-matic at Colin Brown Motors in Melbourne and swapped the 505 for the CX (an interesting transaction, completed at Nhill). In my opinion John profiled the CX perfectly (above). I quickly got used to the non-cancelling indicators: just a brush with the fingers as you turned the corner - so simple!

But we found the air conditioner struggled - especially on occasions like Ash Wednesday, as my wife drove our 3 year old son around our bare paddocks looking for spot fires.

At around that time I met Jim Reddiex at a Cit-in in Adelaide and told him I could be interested in a decent 5-speed if one came his way. Our wish came to fruition in mid 1983. Whilst the dual air conditioning was a considerable improvement on the earlier car, I'm not sure in the context of a CX the manual trans was such a step forward. A sports car it wasn't; I felt the C-matic suited the car well.

I should add that at that time most of the active members of Club Citroen of SA either had D's or GS's - CX's were defintely regarded as second class Cit-izens. I'm glad that 30 years on, they've earned their stripes. Well, in some quarters at least.

Thanks for rekindling the memories.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information