Removing interior door trim on DS23
  • Register
  • Help

Default Removing interior door trim on DS23

Hey There,
    I'm wanting to remove all the interior door panels to take a look inside the doors and perhaps do a rust treatment. Or will I just be looking at the rust???

Anyway, to the real question....any special tricks to removing them, and getting them back on?
    Thanks,
    DST

PS - my first post!!

Advertisement

UFO

You could join the CCC of NSW and come to our tech day in a couple of weeks time in Sydney. Lots of tricks to be learned from the knowledgable.

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Leave them in place and remove the outer panels, it is much more of a challenge.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Gee's, your all such helpful people

push the door trim back around the window winder handle.... and you should see a pin you can push out allowing the handle to come off. Then just put your fingers behind around the edges and ease all the clips out of the door. Don't be surprised if your tear some out of the back of the door trim if it's been wet at some point. It's been a few years since I've removed one, but I"m pretty sure it's that straight forward.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by DStragic View Post
    Hey There,
    I'm wanting to remove all the interior door panels to take a look inside the doors and perhaps do a rust treatment. Or will I just be looking at the rust???

Anyway, to the real question....any special tricks to removing them, and getting them back on?
    Thanks,
    DST

PS - my first post!!
    ...hmm, not a very good welcome for a new member

DoubleChevron pretty well covered it, only thing I'd add is that on the Pallas you have two sort of triangular clips front and back on each panel, these need to be carefully prised open they are if memory serves me right, alluminium and after 30+ years can break.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs, more comedy than Hey hey...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    ...hmm, not a very good welcome for a new member

DoubleChevron pretty well covered it, only thing I'd add is that on the Pallas you have two sort of triangular clips front and back on each panel, these need to be carefully prised open they are if memory serves me right, alluminium and after 30+ years can break.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs, more comedy than Hey hey...

Cheers
    Chris
    Actually, I think they're on the DS models, as my non Pallas DS23 has these little clips.

Incidentally, I've seen they are available as a repro part if you do break them.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

UFO's answer is the right one. This is a trivial task that can end up in a tiresome mess. Don't be tempted to pull on the panel to unseat the clips. Use the panel beater' tool like a Splade that lifts the panel around each clip. Once off, you will probably need some new clips, new plastic thimbles in the door and some skill in repairing crumbling cardboard. If checking for rust you should remove the window sills and check their clips as well. Now you need help from your friends, if things have not changed in Aus recently. The clips etc are not off the shelf items and so you need a mate who has a few left over from the ones he imported when he did a restoration.

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    UFO's answer is the right one. This is a trivial task that can end up in a tiresome mess. Don't be tempted to pull on the panel to unseat the clips. Use the panel beater' tool like a Splade that lifts the panel around each clip. Once off, you will probably need some new clips, new plastic thimbles in the door and some skill in repairing crumbling cardboard. If checking for rust you should remove the window sills and check their clips as well. Now you need help from your friends, if things have not changed in Aus recently. The clips etc are not off the shelf items and so you need a mate who has a few left over from the ones he imported when he did a restoration.
    Thanks Gerry, all good stuff and more appropriate advice to a 'new' member, I'm sure he'll get used to your 'quirky' humour

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You can buy these tools. I haven't been too concerned in the past as the door panels are generally trash after 30years either way (from people pulling on them to get them off). You will also scratch the paint using tools if your not careful.

If your going to use a tool, get the plastic ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INSTA...motiveQ5fTools

I should buy a set of my own someday

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

mnm

Hi DST

welcome to the forum.. I've found it very useful.. members always ready with tips or advice. I Pulled the rear panel off one of my D Special doors.. I had to unscrew the arm rest as well as remove the window winder.. but it was very easy and it pulled off without a fight.. just worked my way around one clip at a time.

Do you have a pic of your car you can share?

Matthew

Thank you all for those that have provided me with some very good tips. To answer a few questions/comments:
    1. Thanks UFO (Craig), I am a member of CCC NSW. In fact I was the 'newbie' who had to introduce myself in the last meeting in front of a big crowd. I think I said it was a "baptism by fire". Much like the Aussie Frogs Forum )
    2. Thanks GreenBlood as 'Grand Master'. Your paternal comments are appreciated.
    3.Hi Matthew, no photos so far but will post some soon. I've followed your questions and the following answers have provided me with valuable info.

Cheers
    DST (aka Steve)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Thanks Gerry, all good stuff and more appropriate advice to a 'new' member, I'm sure he'll get used to your 'quirky' humour

Cheers
    Chris
    How can you accuse a Citroënist of being quirky?

Icon12

How can you accuse a Citroënist of being quirky?
    Sorry Gerry, I don't know what came over me, perhaps a L J K Setright moment?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Is LJK Setright still living?. I enjoyed very much reading his unique opinions of cars,having seen some photos of him,he always looked thin and emaciated. Joe
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DStragic View Post
    Thank you all for those that have provided me with some very good tips. To answer a few questions/comments:
    1. Thanks UFO (Craig), I am a member of CCC NSW. In fact I was the 'newbie' who had to introduce myself in the last meeting in front of a big crowd. I think I said it was a "baptism by fire". Much like the Aussie Frogs Forum )

Cheers
    DST (aka Steve)
    Ah! So you bought Paul Smith's car and you joined CCC - well done. I was the smart @rse in the back corner, but I have to do double time as Deb is at the front of the room.

Well you know about the tech day and people like Darren and Martin and many other knowledgeable people will be there that day. Much to learn from the sages. A great day out.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information