DS Boot lid hinge stud broken
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS Boot lid hinge stud broken

While assembling the cover for the C-pillar and the boot hinge the top stud of the hinge broke off. . No problem we thought, we have a wreck with some trim on it and when we removed that part the same stud broke as well..

There is a bit of the stud left with almost no thread on it. I presume I'm not the first person this has happened to, any ideas how to fix this?

This stud is used to fasten the bracket for the rear trumpet assembly, does anyone have an alternative for this bracket as it cost 15 Euro each?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by HennovdM View Post
    While assembling the cover for the C-pillar and the boot hinge the top stud of the hinge broke off. . No problem we thought, we have a wreck with some trim on it and when we removed that part the same stud broke as well..

There is a bit of the stud left with almost no thread on it. I presume I'm not the first person this has happened to, any ideas how to fix this?

This stud is used to fasten the bracket for the rear trumpet assembly, does anyone have an alternative for this bracket as it cost 15 Euro each?
    I've had the same problem with studs breaking off on 404 bonnet hinges.

On the 404 the "stud" is in fact a bolt which is hot stake into the body, totally inaccessible when the body hull is assembled. Fortunately the back of the stud is quite large.

I've had repaired a few broken bonnet hinge studs by:

• Grinding the broken stud back to flush with the surface with the angle grinder and finishing with a power file.
    • Guesstemating centre and centre punching
    • Drill to tapping size, after a using a 4mm pilot drill
    • Running a tap through the hole
    • Fitting a stud (a cut off bolt)

I'm not sure if this appropriate for you situation, but if suitable it gives a totally original looking repair.

I fixed a broken stud on a CX bumper end. I drilled the old broken stud with a drill just a little smaller than the original. I then tapped out the hole to make a new thread within the old stud. I found a set screw with the same thread as the original stud and cut it down. Then put it in an electric drill and spinning the threaded cut off portion reduced end of the old set screw to a little larger than the hole I previously drilled in the broken stud. It then ran a Die down the reduced section to produce a thread that would screw into the tapped out hole in the broken stud. Then I just screwed this all together with some Loctite and let it dry. Presto ----- New stud.
    Of course you could try drilling the broken stud out of the hinge casting and then screw in a replacement stud again made from a cut down set screw. Just be careful to centre the drill properly so that you only drill out the stud. Also choose a drill size half the diameter of the original stud to avoid wandering into the cast aluminium. Then increase the drill size progressively to enlarge the hole till almost the diameter of the original stud. Cklean out and remake the thread using the appropriate tap. I wouldn't mind guessing that it might be 6x1.00 mm diameter and pitch or perhaps 7x 1.00mm.
    The BIG problem with this method is holding the hinge casting so that the drilling is accurate.
    I am trying to drill out DS 19 exhaust and inlet studs at the moment and that is difficult enough to hold the head still. I am using a drill press and tungsten carbide drills ( the studs are very high tensile.)
    Cheers Gerry
    Last edited by gerrypro; 7th March 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Thread Information