Pluriel/C3 - Thoughts?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Pluriel/C3 - Thoughts?

Well,

A member of the STALLED clan wants a car. Said individual has her heart set on a C3 or a C3 Pluriel.

Mechanically - I know what to expect with them, but it is the smaller things such as the Sensodrive/Leaks/Trim and other common faults which i'm unsure about - especially when it comes to the cabrio...

Did they come with ESP?

I've offered a free 406 - but apparently its a "bucket of shit"....

Advertisement

Cheers,

Joel
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

Default Pluriel/ C3

The C3 great car, the only problems were a broken spark plug can't blame the car yes it did have esp, she drove to perth and back no problems at all and was sad to see it go when it was traded in on a C4.

The C3 is ultra reliable in my opinion. The sensodrive might be another story to the untrained though. Convertible poses other issues obviously. I would have another C3 any day. In my view it has more character than the C4.

I work with:

- 1 previous C3 owner
    - 1 current petrol C3 owner
    - 1 current diesel C3 owner

...and am friends with a petrol C2 owner.....

....all of whom think they're one of the best things since sliced bread and can't understand why people would consider a Barfis...er....Yaris or Borina....especially second hand

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Did they come with ESP?
    No...

Fellow Frogger

Sensodrive poses very few problems if set up correctly and is probably more robust than the automatic, being essentially a manual under the automatic changer. It more of a technical point thogh. For most intents and purposes, it's 99% of a regular auto. Clutches should last well over 100K if the car is driven without abuse. There are very few problems with the 1.6 litre engine, but buying used, you should drive a couple.

Leaks were an issue with some early Pluriel's, buit later cars don't have problems in this area as a rule. Provided an early car was entrusted to a dealer when new to make the necessary adjustments and it hasn't been bodged since, it shouldn't leak.

Looking at a few well prepared and serviced cars side by side at a dealer would be a good place to begin. Even consider a C2 as many came with the same running gear as the Pluriel - i.e 1.6 petrol with Sensodrive.

Tadpole

Taz drove a manual C3 for 3 years; and during 2 years had clocked up 60000 km. Bullet proof; she had learnt to drive in it and other than a couple of hiccups when she was too poor to put 95 RON in it, had no problems. 1.4 litres and she usually got good fuel consumption even at her rate of knots. Could just fit 5 people in it and the boot was big enough to hold half her wardrobe and there were enough nooks and crannies to hold the accessories. Comfortable enough that she could do a 3 hour trip and walk afterwards. Small enough to parallel park (how many 20 year old girls do that?)

It was red; and was immediately recognisable locally; the fact that it was manual gave her street cred.

No expenses other than normal servicing, although it was a bit hungry on brake pads (more to do with her driving style).

I got a phone call at 1 am one Sunday morning last October; she had hit a tree that had just fallen across the road; bonnet, grill, A frames and roof took the brunt of the impact. No injuries.

She went looking for another C3 and found a Pluiel. She negotiated a repayment plan with us for the extra cost. She has had only one issue, twice it showed a dislike of changing from reverse to 1st; which required calibration and reprogramming of the gear box. Fortunately this was a month after purchase so we got it repaired under 3 month statutory warrantee. Only leaked once when she washed it once with a pressure spray aimed at the front of the roof

Uses about the same fuel as the C3, I think this is because with the bigger motor she doesnít wring it out so much. Flappy paddles have even more street cred than a manual! Seats only 4, but having left uni, she is no longer car pooling. A few more creature comforts which she likes, slightly smaller inside, and she rarely folds the roof right down as this would mean removing her wardrobe to fold it into the boot. She LOVES it

Be careful though! Her mother went looking for a new car 3 weeks ago, and after experiencing the delights of the Pluiel in summer, bought a Megane CC.

The Megane is another good convertible too.

Thanks everyone and the PM's I have received - Muchly appreciated!

Will take everything into account and have a look at a couple of them over the next coming months and the like!

Cheers,

Joel

Fellow Frogger!

Our Pluriel has been reliable.

Just recently, at 60k and after 4+ years the roof had a stumble. I managed to repair it (replaced a clip in the front section) but a few days later it failed electrically. I still don't know whether it is fuse (unlikely) or much more serious.

We're selling it, anyway, to fund a house purchase in the US. It won't cover all the cost, of course... ;-)

Cheers

TG

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post

Just recently, at 60k and after 4+ years the roof had a stumble. I managed to repair it (replaced a clip in the front section) but a few days later it failed electrically. I still don't know whether it is fuse (unlikely) or much more serious.

We're selling it, anyway, to fund a house purchase in the US. It won't cover all the cost, of course... ;-)

Cheers

TG

Wait a while and it mought cover that house Trevor!

There are a few microswitches in the roof mechanism, so it could be a fairly simple problem. They won't be a Jaycar prices though! You can get a lot of spares for the roof unit, so it shouldn't be that costly to fix. I would imagine the extra sale price with a working roof could help you trade up from a humble Californian bungalow to a Hollywood mansion!

Fellow Frogger!

Put my sister in a 2005 C3 just before Christmas. Had a patchy service history, so Tom Dolan sorted a full service including timing belt. A week later it would start but not run.

Retured to dealer who claimed bad fuel (E10) that killed the injectors. Same issue 7 days later. Bypassed the dealer this time as I didn't trust them. Tom Dolan, after a week of fiddling, discovered the injector rail was missing a bolt causing movement and destroying the injector seals. A month later car is running very sweetly (touch wood).

Only other item was a leaking strut, which dealer claimed to have replaced, but appears to have just bought one from a wrecker and gave it to us as 'replacement strut' still noisy.

Have to say that dealer lost their Carizma.

After the initial hiccups, Sister loves the car and is enjoying it's many virtues (1.4 manual). Tom Dolan suggested avoiding the autos.

Friend of my brothers has one too. Early series, well over 200k and she refuses to part with it.

Cheers
    Andrew

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Your sister sounds like she wants something fun ... with a little bit of style to it ..................... How can it not be a 2cv ??? $10k would probably find a decent one ..... She'd be the envy of all her friends for having such a cool car.

zero depreciation... nothing much to go wrong with it ... runs on the smell of an oil rag. She could roll back the whole roof on warm days.................. I cant' see a negative at all!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Your sister sounds like she wants something fun ... with a little bit of style to it ..................... How can it not be a 2cv ??? $10k would probably find a decent one ..... She'd be the envy of all her friends for having such a cool car.

zero depreciation... nothing much to go wrong with it ... runs on the smell of an oil rag. She could roll back the whole roof on warm days.................. I cant' see a negative at all!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yes, but a wheelbarrow is safer in a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
    Put my sister in a 2005 C3 just before Christmas. Had a patchy service history, so Tom Dolan sorted a full service including timing belt. A week later it would start but not run.

Retured to dealer who claimed bad fuel (E10) that killed the injectors. Same issue 7 days later. Bypassed the dealer this time as I didn't trust them. Tom Dolan, after a week of fiddling, discovered the injector rail was missing a bolt causing movement and destroying the injector seals. A month later car is running very sweetly (touch wood).

Only other item was a leaking strut, which dealer claimed to have replaced, but appears to have just bought one from a wrecker and gave it to us as 'replacement strut' still noisy.

Have to say that dealer lost their Carizma.

After the initial hiccups, Sister loves the car and is enjoying it's many virtues (1.4 manual). Tom Dolan suggested avoiding the autos.

Friend of my brothers has one too. Early series, well over 200k and she refuses to part with it.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Cheers Andrew - Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Yes, but a wheelbarrow is safer in a crash.
    She won't go fast enough to crash ............................ Besides, it a bit like riding a motorbike, your so careful of your surrounds it makes you a far better driver.

Warning ..... She'll drive like a bloody lunatic if you get her one. You see much like when I drive the XM ... keeping any speed you have already managed build up is a priority .....you never slow unless you absolutely must...

you'll terify everyone by never slowing down for corners, speed bumps ..... I've frightened the sh!t out of people driving my mothers 2cv through round-a-abouts. The look on peoples face when they think the 2cv under full throttle in the inside lane of the round-a-bout is about to "fall over" onto them is priceless ..... much more fun than driving fast in a fast car.

You gotta love a car where you close the secondaries on the carby, nearly halve the volume of the motor in doing so ...... and make no difference at all to accelleration (ie: still barely anything). I could still pick the 2cv driving down here tomorrow even though it hasn't been driven in years ..... The sound of a 2cv howling out to 7000rpm under full throttle is very distinctive................... And that's the way my father always drives it I can hear it coming from blocks away.

Think exciting !!! I can't understand why anyone would want to drive a modern car .... they all seem like Xsara clones to me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

What was wrong with the Xsara Shane?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    What was wrong with the Xsara Shane?
    Same thing that's wrong with a c3, 206, 306, c4 etc........
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Think exciting !!! I can't understand why anyone would want to drive a modern car .... they all seem like Xsara clones to me
    Maybe because (my diary this week):

Monday : CX C-matic no problems
    Tuesday : Cx Prestige no problems
    Wednesday : , CX Prestige, I stopped at the shops on the way to work - engine refused to rev wait 5 minutes, work well enough to drive to work
    Thursday : CX c-matic no problem
    Friday : CX c-matic, overheated after 20 minutes of driving, topped coolant and managed to drive to work

Weekend : work on both cars so I can go to work next week
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    Maybe because (my diary this week):

Monday : CX C-matic no problems
    Tuesday : Cx Prestige no problems
    Wednesday : , CX Prestige, I stopped at the shops on the way to work - engine refused to rev wait 5 minutes, work well enough to drive to work
    Thursday : CX c-matic no problem
    Friday : CX c-matic, overheated after 20 minutes of driving, topped coolant and managed to drive to work

Weekend : work on both cars so I can go to work next week
    See what I mean ................ Exciting .......... Every single journey is an adventure
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post

Cheers

TG
    I sold my Pluriel last September. At 6 years old, it was the oldest one in Australia. It was one of the original press cars imported for the product launch. It had just under 100k on the clock and had only been off the road one day per year for the scheduled services. It stuck my up only twice - both times with a dead battery.

It never leaked. It never broke anything. It just worked, every time.

Yes, the Sensodrive was quirky, but it was not bad - just quirky.

How have people found the running costs of the C3? Besides the normal timing belt and servicing intervals - are they pretty cheap to own?

Basically, a car which throws up "Anti-Pollution Fault" every 2 hours is out of the question :p

1000+ Posts

My parent's C3 has had nothing go wrong since 2002. Routine servicing only. I think the clutch is getting to the end of its life, but that's to be expected. Tyres last forever as it has no power to wear the fronts out (I think it's only on its second set).

Is there much difference between the facelifted model in 2006 and the earlier cars - are they worth the extra money?

Said member of the family is still looking for one, and harassing me daily. I keep on reinforcing that she needs a license first...

There are a few C3 now that are well under 15k and have good records on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information