C4 Windscreen washer issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C4 Windscreen washer issues

All,

I had some problems, where the front washer jets would not work, only the rear even when I tried to wash the front only.

It's now fixed, I've post the instructions to fix which are from the UK C4 Site. by Jips

'Solution - It was the pump as it serves both front and rear with an internal valve

Here is what I did tp resolve it:

Jacked/axel stand the car up on the drivers side

Under the front of the car, I undid about 6 star screws and a couple of flat screws to drop the cover
    Located the bottom of the water pump.

Caution - you may get wet soon !!

Removed the electrical connector and the 2 pipes (slight wetness)

Next, with a lot of tugging, removed the pump from the tank. Very tight

Stop for a coffee (Need a boiling kettle)

With the pump, there are 2 basic assemblies. The electric bit, and at the base an assembly with the 2 pipes (I should have taken piccies)

Lever off the base assembly carefully

Kettle has boiled, make your coffee, and another cup of hot water

Put the base assembly into a cup of boiling water to aid the separation, and enjoy your coffe

After a couple of mins, you can fish out the assembly, and use a small screwdriver to separate the white bit from the black bit

Inside is a little plug, this is the problem as is gets stuck.

Advertisement

Get it out, use the cup of hot water, put in some fairy liquid, and wash all three bits

When dried, put back together in reverse

You can test its operation by sucking and blowing through one of the pipes and you should hear the plug moving backwards and forwards

Reassemble the pump (Tight) and put pump into the water tank, and pipe up and plug in the electric

Before putting the bottom cover back on, check the operation of the front and back jets. I put my pipes on the wrong way

If all is OK, screw up the cover, and go inside for another coffee with a warm glow.

Dead easy job, and I hope it helps other users.

FAQ Posted by Jips'

He is understating how wet you can get!!

Bumps

Fellow Frogger!

Default Washer fixed

Hi bumps
    had same problem with my C5, did the same fix, but the valve still wouldn't move freely, gave a little thought to sanding down the diameter, nah, tossed it into garden and put the car back together.
    Who cares if it puts out so much water it washes the car behind as well, motorcycles will probably welcome it as a way of beating the Qld heat of late. By.

Fellow Frogger

Remove the valve from the pump with circlip pliers, possibly with a flat balde. It's a snap fit and there are flats on the parts so it can only go on one way when refitted.

Use circlip pliers (round ends) in the two holes of the part that fits the pump to apply pressure. The sealing ring is on the outside, so it won't damage the surface this way. Then release the locking tab with a thin strip of steel (e.g. from an old wiper blade) or a fine screwdriver. Then clean the piston and reassemble. If it won't 'shuttle' back and forwards, then it either has debris inside or the rubber has swollen so there's not enough clearance for the piston to move. If you are going to reduce the diameter, only 'waist' it, leaving the ends the original diameter.

Not all cars will have the valve with a piston (see picture). C5 from about 2005, and I would have thought most C4's too, have a valve with a small diaphragm. Once they have a scale buildup, you need to buy a new one as the diaphragm becomes hard and doesn't clean up well. The giveaway is that the piston type valve has male connectors, while the later diaphragm valve is reversed. Other models may use different types of valve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C4 Windscreen washer issues-c5_earlywasherpump_pistonvalve.jpg  

Thread Information