Repraying the CX - CHEAPLY - Advice sought in Sydney
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Respraying the CX - CHEAPLY - Advice sought in Sydney

I want to re-do the CX for purely cosmetic reasons and I cannot afford a fantastic job.

I can't do it myself, due to experience required, time off the road ( as she is my daily driver ) and the place to do it.

I don't need a super job, I just want her cleaned up.

She has fading, grazing and scratches.

Advertisement

Inside is great in this car, inside the doors are all fine etc etc....

All she needs is a closed door respray

BUT WHERE???

Schenks of course would be my ideal place, but as they pointed out once a $3k job is worth more than I would get for the car itself.

So I need clues hints and probably PMs of where I could get an affordable job done.

Im based in Lane Cove....can travel a bit.

Appreciation in Advance

Stu
    Last edited by Stuart Dammery; 5th March 2011 at 09:21 AM.
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Dammery View Post
    I want to re-do the CX for purely cosmetic reasons and I cannot afford a fantastic job.

I can't do it myself, due to experience required, time off the road ( as she is my daily driver ) and the place to do it.

BUT WHERE???

Schenks of course would be my ideal place, but as they pointed out once a $3k job is worth more than I would get for the car itself.

So I need clues hints and probably PMs of where I could get an affordable job done.

Appreciation in Advance

Stu
    If you can get a decent job for $3k then it's a bargain

We should all be used to to spending more money than the car is worth

At least if you shell out $3k you will look at and smile every time. If you pay less it may look like it been painted "with the cat". Cheap prices means scimping on preparation labor and materials.

Stu

3k is a bargain. The only other choice is a mob European Autocare use, they did the rust repairs on the Prestige, it was a very good job. Jason may also know them or someone.

Greg
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Stuey,

for a reasonable finish .... $10,000 would be closer to reality. There's a couple of hundred hours in prepping a car for painting. The final "sprayiing" takes bugger all time.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

DS

$3000 is so cheap for an all over clean up. Long gone are the days of the "One Day Auto Paint" type places where they paint everything including the glass!

Fellow Frogger!

Default paint

there is a clue in the above thread
    find someone who will do the spraying after you have spent the 100 hours sanding and maskingup

Berlina bodyworks has a brilliant reputation - but they aren't the cheapest place in the world. Proper old school smash-repairer with attention to detail!

They are in Leichhardt - Parramatta Rd!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

BUT WHERE???

Appreciation in Advance

Stu
    Stu the cost of the respray bears no relation to the value of the vehicle. It is the value to you and how long you intend to keep the car. I have already spent over 12.000 on my CX and while I can get insurance through Shannons for this amount, there is no way I could sell the car for that. The point is that I do not want to ever part with the car. Is that how you feel about your CX?If you do feel this way go for it and treat yourself to a quality paint job!!!!!!!
    Cheers Gerry,

Fellow Frogger

You get what you pay for and $3K doesn't go all that far in the car painting game. If you do want to paint the whole thing, then $3K will not go anywhere near a bare metal job, so you will just be painting over what's there with a bit of sanding. You could do some of the prep yourself, but a pro painter will probably pick large holes in your work and need to do a lot of it over again, so it may not be worth the effort.

Give it a good wash and assess each panel as you my find you can get away with some or all of the bonnet, roof and bootlid with a few touch ups elsewhere.

JBN

Why don't you talk to a paint shop. Ask them for a price. Then ask them how the price can be reduced.

My CX needed a complete respray as the metallic was stuffed. I spoke to a panel shop owner (who happened to have a CX himself) and came to an arrangement. One side I could claim on insurance and did. With the rest of the car, I stripped it to bare metal (including removing any bog from previous repairs). All seams were taped with 1" masking tape to prevent the edges from being contaminated by paint remover. Naturally, to get to that stage, all trim was removed (which meant the bootlid came off, so it was placed in the rear passenger compartment).

The car was driven to the paint shop. They sanded the edges, rebogged old damage and painted just the outside of the car (ie not inside the doors as the colour was the same). I refitted all the trim. That saved quite a bit of money as time consuming trim removal and refitting is avoided, as is removal or sanding back of the original paint.

John

Some interesting thoughts, ideas and comments...keep them coming. In answer to a couple of points I would say this CX will be a keeper
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

3k sounds quite reasonable and what you would epect to pay for a closed door no fuss respray for sure.
    I've had a few cars resprayed in the past - the latest being a hardtop Vitara in metallic light blue with faded roof and bonnet and it was $2500 about 5 years ago.
    And that was from a friend in the business at Mona Vale. Good job, but nothing special.
    Given that the CX is a larger car and its a few years on, it sounds like a bargain to me at 3k.
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications).
    BMW 525i Touring - 1993 (current drive car).
    Golf Mk3 2 litre - 1997 (rejuvinate for the daughter)
    Honda Odyssey - 2003 (keeping it going for the wife)
    Toyota Rav4 - 1996 (given to the son. most reliable vehicle of all of them)

JBN

My Xantia was rear ended. The other party's insurance paid $3,800. I supplied a used hatch and used rear bumper (cost me $1100). I convinced the panel beater to remove all dents from both sides AND respray the whole car (since he had to do half anyhow).

It cost me no more. He was happy to accept $3,800 for his labour, with parts supplied by me and all trim removed and electrical harness swapped from damaged hatch to replacement hatch by me. That is, they just stretched/panel beated/bogged and painted, what their core specialty is.

John

bar one small side panel dent, no damage and no rust
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Fellow Frogger

bar one small side panel dent, no damage and no rust
    Consider paintless dent removal if it's possible as it could save you painting that panel. There are some very competent mobile people who deal with dents and minor panel and spray work instead of an entire respray.

JBN

Stuart, what colour is your CX and is it metallic? Mine was Vert Papyrus (grass green) metallic and had faded badly. It was resprayed in Glasurit 2 pack and looked stunning. Being a 2400, it had all the stainless steel brightwork to set it off. It is amazing how a good looking car (CX) with a good looking paint job can give so much pleasure.

I found I was far more motivated to tend to any problem, even though I knew that it would never be reflected in its price. The best things in life are not neccessarily free, but the most enjoyable experiences are where money isn't part of the equation. Its (potentially) a beautiful car and they aren't making many at any price.

I have just finished detailing a 1990 BMW525 for a young bloke I know, as he wants to sell it. Its colour is maroon and all polished up it looks really good. Its 10 years younger than your CX. Sitting in it, operating the controls, its nice but it doesn't have the ergonomics of a CX. Like most cars, I am always searching for the door handle at night.

Bite the bullet. Get it repainted. It will spur you on to keep it in top shape. You won't regret it. After mine was painted, I got TRX mag wheels, twin Weber 45DCNF carbs, Luminition ignition, a rear aircon unit and finally reupholstered the seats in beige synthetic suede in the original CX pattern. It was a stunner, until I hit a Nissan Navara. Even then in its death throes I hardly felt the impact. The Navara was flipped upside down, caste away like useless junk. The CX doors opened OK. The front corner was completely missing. But the bent longeron under the driver's feet gave it the kiss of death. Who knows what massive impact it absorbed? I felt none of it.

John

thinking of a savings plan now
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Banned

stuart,
    have a look at these, where they describe repainting a car with cheap enamel paint, and rollers:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...-paint-your-c/
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4557740_pain...eum-paint.html

these US sites all go on about Rustoleum, which is some american product, but i suppose it is the same as RustGuard or KillRust here. they can likely be tinted to your colour.

the advantages of hand rolling are that it is very cheap, and can be done anywhere as there is no spraying involved. of course even half-way purists and nay-sayers will say it cant be done or will look crap, as they do, but it seems plain enough that it does work. if you really want a decent, economical paint job on a $3000 car, then this is the way to go.

as well covered above, most of the cost of real paint jobs is in the prepping. you can do this panel and the roller painting panel at a time, without the car being off the road, or any major dismantling.

alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    stuart,
    have a look at these, where they describe repainting a car with cheap enamel paint, and rollers:

these US sites all go on about Rustoleum, which is some american product, but i suppose it is the same as RustGuard or KillRust here. they can likely be tinted to your colour.

the advantages of hand rolling are that it is very cheap, and can be done anywhere as there is no spraying involved. of course even half-way purists and nay-sayers will say it cant be done or will look crap, as they do, but it seems plain enough that it does work. if you really want a decent, economical paint job on a $3000 car, then this is the way to go.

as well covered above, most of the cost of real paint jobs is in the prepping. you can do this panel and the roller painting panel at a time, without the car being off the road, or any major dismantling.

alexander.
    Alexander,

Although widely publicised around the net this repaint in rustoleum and rollers falls into the urban myth category IMHO. It may be possible to get a good job on the cheap if you value your time at 20cents an hour.

Even the recommendations on the roller paint sites tell you you need to sand between every coat of paint. In my opinion you would be better to take a hobby course at TAFE and buy a compressor then do the job properly.

My advice would be that the only rustoleom repaint candidate would be a shitter that the council is likely to tow away and would probably have much increased market price with half a tank of petrol.

Nobody in their right mind should consider spoiling a a car with half reasonable paint by repainting with a roller.

After using rustoleom that's it- no auto paint will every work again due to reactions between the formulas.
    So the car is an economic write off if want to go back.

DON'T DO IT!

cheers

Rob

Fellow Frogger!

Default cheap respray

you could offer the car to the local TAFE spray painting students to do their final exam on.

In a current economical climate (my employers favourite excuse for paying me peanuts) $3000 is lots of money. I think you should read Shane's $500 paintjob thread, ignore 90% of what he says and just DIY panel by panel
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    In a current economical climate (my employers favourite excuse for paying me peanuts) $3000 is lots of money. I think you should read Shane's $500 paintjob thread, ignore 90% of what he says and just DIY panel by panel
    He has no shed to paint in .... and would need quite a few hundred/thousand dollars worth of tools ... Tools without a shed to store them in won't work either

Lets not forget the hundreds of hours labour involved too.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hey, I said ignore what you said and do a quick job
    If Stuart is not after a great painjob then it can be done outdoors as long as it is not a breezy day I suppose. Entry level compressors and spray guns are pretty cheap.
    However, I got a really big improvement since I bought a bigger compressor with a proper moisture removing thingy. The first Cx came quite bad because it got so much moisture in the paint. The Prestige is much much better, only this I did not get the panels flat enough - pure laziness.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    stuart,

alexander.
    My last Renault R8 paint job cost $87 including brushes (about 1993 -4 I think). From as far away as 6 m it looked wonderful, but close up not so flash I must admit. But I didn't have the time or money to do better at that time. One day, maybe I'll get it done professionally, it being 17 years back, but that is serious $$$$ because of the panel work needed before a seriously shiny and smooth paint job.

I don't think I'd be prepared to do that for the much larger and convex panels on the CX though.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    My last Renault R8 paint job cost $87 including brushes (about 1993 -4 I think). From as far away as 6 m it looked wonderful, but close up not so flash I must admit. But I didn't have the time or money to do better at that time. One day, maybe I'll get it done professionally, it being 17 years back, but that is serious $$$$ because of the panel work needed before a seriously shiny and smooth paint job.

I don't think I'd be prepared to do that for the much larger and convex panels on the CX though.
    I'm a member of the Denmark Machinery Restoration Group. We are currently building a large shed (Stage1) and hopefully one of the facilities included will be a painting booth. I've already spoken to a semi-retired spray painter who will help with advice on set up and also conduct some classes for interested members. It will become a bit of a 'mens' shed and I'm looking forward to having a go. I've also got some nautical paint and will try the roller bit once my hand is better. (Along the lines of one of the early posts)

In some cases anything is better than doing nothing. If you are on a fixed income sometimes you need to compromise!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information