2007 CITROEN C4 HDI EGS buyer advice needed
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 2007 CITROEN C4 HDI EGS buyer advice needed

Hi guys,

As the topic suggests, I need some advice on what to look for, good or bad, apart from the obvious things when it comes to this car.

I've taken the car for a spin already and was pleasently surprised just how well it drove. I have read numerous threads on here and the c4owners forum about the transmission and its "characteristics" and to be honest, although it's different I quite enjoyed it and I probably drove it in auto with the sport button off for 90% of the drive.

The car has had its scheduled services and has had the timing belt replaced so there are no dramas on the servicing front.

Is there anything I should do or check in particular with this car?

I currently drive a 405 diesel and wish to stay diesel and although I was actually going to downsize she who must be obeyed's car (Ford Territory down to a 307/407 wagon), this is quite a tempting replcement for my little Pug as our second car.

Advertisement

The car has done 95000 k's by the way.

Thanks.

Fellow Frogger

Not much to be worried about with the EGS if it has a good service history, the oil is clean (for an HDi - i.e not gritty and sticky), the turbo is quiet, it's in generally good order and drives properly. Check everything works - cruise control, radio/CD & stacker, heater & AC.

The air filter box may be loose on it's mounts, which will make a bit of noise as it rattles about. Not expensive to fix. The plenum chamber grille can slip off the bottom of the windscreen glass and should not be left in that condition. Be careful if you DIY this as there is an overhanging area at the base of the windscreen you should not apply much pressure to (unless you want a new windscreen!).

It's a good choice and the EGS manages the engine's torque better than I could when trying to drive the manual version as well as I can.

Thanks David.

Anyone else have anything to add, epecially owners of C4 diesels?

Some positive stuff would be nice as more often than not with the web there's only negative stuff as people come in search of fixes to their problems which is not a bad thing but can be a bit off putting to a perspective buyer.

Thanks.

UFO

If I can find it tonight I will post the review of the C4 EGS that we leased and drove in Europe in 2008. Unless I have done it already. Go searching.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I'll be buzzing about Europe in one next month, so I shall endevour to offer a review of sorts during my travels.

I've resisted a new CitroŽn for many, many years so it's going to be an interesting experience for me.

I probably should've settled for a DS3 as I won't need such a largesse car, but I'm looking forward to modernity haha
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by FBvisitor View Post

Thanks.
    Don't know about the EGS, but the 1.6 HDi engine is pretty much bullet-proof. Not indestructable, but nearly so. Had mine since new in 2006. 100,000 km and hardly missed a beat. Only real irritant has been the cruise control that fails every week or so (need to stop and restart car to reset the computer , then OK - until next time) Dealer couldn't fix - despite replacing just about everything including the switch. Fact that they can't fix a known fault is main reason I decided not to use dealer for servicing. But car itself is fine.

Tony

Hi again,

How about this scenario. When driving the EGS in manual and you pull up to a stop without down changing, does it do this for you as the ZF 6 speed does in the Territory?

I very rarely drive the better halfs car, but when I do and I drive it manually, I have forgotten to down change a couple of times when pulling up or going around a corner and it just stays in the low gear until you start changing back up again.

Once again, thoughts appreciated and thanks to all those who have contributed so far.

Tadpole

Hi FB,
    I have had my 2nd hand C4 for close to 2 months and been very happy with it, does take time to get use to the gear changes and yes she does change down in manual for you when coming to a stop, but what you will find is the paddles (add water) no, behind the steering wheel, can be used at any time, so if you want to shift up or down just do it all while the selector is in auto mode, very handy being an ex manual driver.
    Doing 1000km 50/50 around town and highway with 5L left in tank is very handy too.
    My first french car, was scared sh**less, but could not do the toyota/hyundai/mazda thing again, happy now don't hope that turns

Cheers

Tadpole

Hi,

First reply on AF!

Im also looking at a C4 diesel and needed some general Citroen advice. Being from the UK im used to having the choice of dealers for a euro car, but im worried with all the bad press of owning a euro car in Oz. Ive heard bad things about a newcastle dealer (Thats now shut down), but in general is it a good idea to have a Citroen in OZ? Once a car is out of warranty is it easier to then find a wider audience of mechanics? The idea of a service inc filters costing approx $1100 is a bit scary, I've had my fair share of working on cars myself and i don't want to go back to that!

BTW, id also be looking at a C4 HDI EGS, probably a 2007 model. What warranty did they have originally, 3 years? I like the idea of the C4 diesel (1000k a tank!) but is ownership something i'd regret with costly servicing?

Any info would be very helpful,

cheers

Tadpole

I agree kking with your conserns and if it would keep you from sleeping at night having a C4 in the carport......then don't do it.
    From my side in that smaller car size the C4 was the only car that really said something to me and for some reason the Saab 9-3
    Having only a few service people / centres can be a pain, which is easily forgotten when driving the C4. I had to hand the C4 over to SWMBO as her commodore was playing up....what a tank, it takes a few days to get use to it again.
    Is the C4 on the bucket list, if yes go for it, if you find the right car no problem at worst you can trade it back in and cross the C4 of your bucket list.

Cheers

Our C4 is fun to drive, timeless design, excellent fuel economy, parts reasonably priced through Vic. Peugeot/Citroen (PSA bits) after market suppliers. We are very happy with our car. All filters should be replaced regularly so look for this in service records.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Fellow Frogger

In Sydney, you do have a choice of dealers and you could call around to ask their 'typical' service charges for normal service work. What suits you depends on where you are living etc.. New Citroen cars have been sold here for several years with 3 years / 100,000 km (whichever comes first) warranties. You can often buy aftermarket extensions via dealers at the time of sale. Legally, you would not be obliged to use a dealer for service work to prevent your new car factory warranty being voided, but it's probably better to use a dealer and some forms of aftermarket warranty extensions could have in-house servicing requirements too. I have a vague understanding that the UK dealer system offers much more structured deals and servicing contracts etc., so , if that's what you are used to, you may find things different in this country.

Anyway, make a few calls, check costs, find out how the local market operates and form your own opinion. Then try some cars to see what you like. You might find you prefer a 2.0HDi 6 speed auto C4 or even a turbo petrol model.

Quote Originally Posted by koolerking View Post
    Hi,

First reply on AF!

Im also looking at a C4 diesel and needed some general Citroen advice. Being from the UK im used to having the choice of dealers for a euro car, but im worried with all the bad press of owning a euro car in Oz. Ive heard bad things about a newcastle dealer (Thats now shut down), but in general is it a good idea to have a Citroen in OZ? Once a car is out of warranty is it easier to then find a wider audience of mechanics? The idea of a service inc filters costing approx $1100 is a bit scary, I've had my fair share of working on cars myself and i don't want to go back to that!

BTW, id also be looking at a C4 HDI EGS, probably a 2007 model. What warranty did they have originally, 3 years? I like the idea of the C4 diesel (1000k a tank!) but is ownership something i'd regret with costly servicing?

cheers

Default C4 service concerns

I haven't had a C4 but i have just 3 months ago bought an 07 C5, and had a Xzara a few years ago. I have had some small problems and three different dealers have been hopeless. They couldn't seem to fix things because the parts take so long to locate and then have been wrong (3 times)
    I live on the Gold Coast and the franchises change every couple of years. Nevertheless, I love the C5 and like cars that are a bit out of the ordinary. You have Sydney nearby if you need help that the local dealer can't give if you buy a car and it has problems, and there are several dealers there. I must stress most strongly that you get an after market warrantee....a good one, not just an 'engine, transmission and diff' one which pays a couple of hundred dollars on major items. Also, buy a car from a Citroen dealer and make sure it has a good service record.
    French cars are not as common here as they are in Europe, but seem to be capturing more of the market recently with better models and pricing, but you shouldn't expect to find them as easy to own as our locally built cars or the popular Jap and Korean ones.
    This might bring a flood of comments down upon my head, but I will give you some advice which you should ignore at your peril....DO NOT BUY A PEUGEOT! Had three 307's in our family in the last 5 years ....all great to look at but fraught with problems and the dealers CAN"T FIX THEM!! I KID YOU NOT! PEUGEOT AUST DID COME TO THE PARTY TWICE WITH REPLACEMENT CARS. THEY ARE CRAPPPP!!!!!.
    Enjoy your Citroen!

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by koolerking View Post
    Hi,

First reply on AF!

cheers
    I only use dealer for warranty work. Most of the routine stuff for HDi is oil & oil filter change plus checking everything is OK. Which any (competent) mechanic can do. Just had timing belt done (not by dealer). They charged about the same as dealer - and got the parts from that source anyway.

If you want to know what routine service costs you're in for check out following site:
    http://www.carservice.com.au/car-ser...&modelid=11619

If you have a good local mechanic, I'd go to them. Once you establish the relationship, they will look after you. Or that has been my experience. I pay my mechanic between 20-40% of the price in the URL above.

Tony
    Last edited by TRT; 9th March 2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: corrected URL

With reference to to the carservice site our experience is
    20K 1 year $400 dealer (2008)
    40K 2 year $675 non dealer (dealer quote $1100)(2009)
    60K 3 year $610 dealer (2010)
    So there is quite a difference, especially taking in the year / inflation factor
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by FBvisitor View Post

Some positive stuff would be nice as more often than not with the web there's only negative stuff as people come in search of fixes to their problems which is not a bad thing but can be a bit off putting to a perspective buyer.

Thanks.
    My recommendation having worked in petroleum industry and done fuel quality control training is to recommend that you use BP diesel which has a bluey colour which is what it should look like. the other companies sell off spec crap which will eventually damage your engine or use good quality Bio diesel. Australia is being used as the dumping ground for low grade fuels which is why the government who work for big business interests and not yours have made use of adding ethanol lawful so the crap
    fuels will at least run your car.

Tadpole

Has any of you C4 "lookers" turned into owners or just looking still

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

I have owned 2xC4 hdi,first one 1.6 manual, second one 1.6 EGS, I did have some problems with the EGS, as for fule consumption try 1740 k from full tank Melb to Rockhampton qld, it was on the return trip gave us the best fuel result, now have a 2010 C5 2ltr hdi auto best fuel consumpson after 5000k on the speedo is 1200k. tony

Yeah, still looking Flightdeck.

Have decided the Territory has to go first, maybe replaced with a focus TDCI (PSA derived engine I believe) and then hopefully I'll get serious with a C4 HDI although I was also thinking 307/407 wagon but a previous post was a bit off putting there with the 307's although I thought the C4 shared the same platform with the 307??? Surely the Pugs not that bad.

Another problem is my 405. It is magnificent to drive. Handles, steers and goes as well as the day I bought it. Currently has 356k on it and returns 46mpg week in week out (50/50 driving), better if I could only just ease up a bit. Unfortunately tyres and timing belt almost due. Thats probably a bit over $1000 on probably a $2000 car.

What to do, what to do.

We'll see how things pan out in the coming weeks.

Cheers to all the posters.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 hdi

Hi FBvisitor, down on the southern Peninsula in Vic,Pugs are a plenty, out number Citroen about 100 to 1, in fact equal to the toyta carover. the PUG is very popular,with lots of repeat buyers, I just like the Citroen especially my C5 hdi.
    Tony

Fox
    Tadpole

Today i have paid the deposit for a new C4 1.6 VTI HDI. Will be getting the delivery on Friday. Hope i have made the right decision.

Tadpole

So Fox, how was the weekend in the new C4, like this or

I'm sure you will have many good years ahead, just look at how few C4 question / issues there are on this forum and it's been the biggest seller for Citroen over the past few years.

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev414 View Post
    I haven't had a C4 but i have just 3 months ago bought an 07 This might bring a flood of comments down upon my head, but I will give you some advice which you should ignore at your peril....DO NOT BUY A PEUGEOT! Had three 307's in our family in the last 5 years ....all great to look at but fraught with problems and the dealers CAN"T FIX THEM!! I KID YOU NOT! PEUGEOT AUST DID COME TO THE PARTY TWICE WITH REPLACEMENT CARS. THEY ARE CRAPPPP!!!!!.
    Enjoy your Citroen!
    Unfortunately Citroens are the same car, built in a different factory with slight styling changes.

Citroens also have exactly the same propensity for being very unsatisfactory cars to own, both in and out of warranty.

My C4 has been running with a bad stumble just off idle, which becomes a pause in performance when you try to accelerate, since September last year.

The quality of warranty service is poor - on two occasions I drove to the dealer and asked both SMs to drive with me while the car was playing up, but they declined. On one occasion he declined because the car was booked in for a fuel conditioning service which he believed would solve the problem (I was sure it would not). It did not.

How can you force someone who is unwilling to see what happens when a car is playing up intermittently?

Anyway, several services later, it is back to its old tricks and warranty is running out.

Getting any PSA vehicle serviced under warranty with an intermittent fault is very difficult.

I've even had the steering column replaced! The steering column!!! Can you believe it? How could anyone make a faulty steering column?

All the best ;-)

TG

Fellow Frogger!

Put a friend into a C4 EGS. She loves it. Didn't like/couldn't drive a manual so the EGS was a perfect solution for her with no clutch to worry about.

Drove Syd-Mel in 10 hours using 2/3 tank of fuel. Car ran brillantly.

Things she doesn't like - reckons air con isn't effective enough and the seats aren't as comfortable as she would like.

My impressions were a good car, seats fine and air con needed to be set to recycle to full effect on a 40 degree day.

Buy it, enjoy it and deal with issues should things arise.

Cruise control issue - my C5 played up under warranty and software updates cured that. The odd warning but all still functioning at 5 years as it should.

Peugeot 307's crap? Put a friend into one in 2003. Eight years later still going strong apart from a fried starter motor that had Peugeot scratching their head.

Regular services and good fuel and the owner loves Ali G to bits!

Cheers
    Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew D; 31st March 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information