Carsales Light 15
  • Register
  • Help

Default Carsales Light 15

Black W.A. Light 15 looks great on Carsales. Does anyone here have knowledge of its history? Looks nice and original. I'm sniffing around for something not too pricey but as straight and in as solid mechanical shape as my daily ID (my restoration days are behind me...famous last words). Not for daily use (unless we can't help ourselves!). And...my shed is still just a drawing... Anyway, this car looks tempting! Interested if there is any knowledge about it...

Who frequently drives their Light 15/11BL with original spec engine etc? I'm interested in any comments about this regarding performance / practicality etc...many Traction owners change to the ID motor, but I already have this in my ID! For me, it would seem unsatisfying not to have an original Traction - down to the gears and powerplant!

Advertisement

Would be pleased to hear any comments on the above,

Best Wishes,

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 2nd March 2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: english teacher

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Do it ... Do it ... Do it ....

They are simply to slow for modern roads without beating them to death eg: cruising at 100 -> 110km/h simply isnt' going to hapen ...

Being used to driving an ID19 rather than a DS19 you possibly won't find the steering overwhelmingly heavy either See if someone in the club will let you take one for a spin .............. You'll be hooked

I wonder if Dogboys traction can climb up Authors seat without doing a 3point turn to get around the corners..... Man there steering lock is bad. At least with the 2cv to park it in tight places, you just jump out, pickup the back of the car and carry it around to where you want it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 2nd March 2011 at 05:44 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Interesting ... Did you see they have fitted a brake booster in there ?? The modern wiring and alternator looks well done too.... but certainly does't suite the era of the car

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thanks for the enthusiasm, Shane! I think I'd have some fun driving back from Kalamunda! I've got a mechanic Brother in Law in Perth (Morrie Car Club President!) who could check it out for me if it came to that....He bought a Traveller here in Melbourne a few years ago - the car hadn't been driven for 15 years or so. Everything was cruddy including the brakes / suspension but he whipped in into line in one day...good enough to drive all the way home...got there without a hitch!

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 2nd March 2011 at 06:04 PM.

Yes - some work's been done I can see...Have to see what I can find out...

Tim

Well Tim I drive mine infrequently now , but here's my opinion:-

They are addictive in a MG TC kind of way. They handle very well better than many cars of the seventies and eighties - corner very flat. I used to enjoy steaming off 504's around corners. They are underpowered but will thrash along which is a lot of fun as long as you mentally prepare for stopping before you have to! (may not be a problem withe WA car).

When I need a fix I take it out, open the sunroof and take it for a fast clip. The wood dash and the reflections in the headlights do wonders for the soul and you get a few looks.The front window will wind out which will impress your rellies and basically you can look at it all day as a work of art (heard that before?!)Very heavy steering - keep the pressures up.

There are many different models,. The French ones look best for me, after that early English both (usually) with curvy flat steel bumpers, then the later big boot cars. The Normale or Big 15 body shape is interesting - wider and some say better balanced visually altho there is more for the old 1911 pushrod to lug around. The big sixes are superb but a big car.
    You can make the four cylinder ones go well, lighten the flywheel twin carbs etc. I put ID rods and big ends in mine and that is common . The 4 speed conversions using an ID gearbox are better suited some think although as long as you're not into 'racing changes' the three speed will get you there with slow changes.
    Gear box at the front and crown wheel and pinion are a weak point altho improvements can be made . You don't jump start a Traction if you can help it.
    Basically driving old cars is a lot of work c/f modern ones , but you already know what thats like.
    Join CCOCA and see what's around. there are always cars for sale if you investigate!
    good luck and good idea
    Go to a CCOCA meeting and you'll be offered a drive I'm sure! or come round here!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

What a great round up - Thanks Trading Estate...may well take you up on all of the above. I became a bit despondent when the clubs couldn't pull together and although always enjoying the company of club members - very much so in fact, there are some inspiring individuals in their ranks - have remained a bit alien to the action - despite 25 years as an earnest owner...almost joined again last year but life in its other configurations took over and alas. Time to drag out the membership forms I guess...Where abouts are you in Melbourne? Maybe we could exchange 'spins'.

Best wishes,

Tim

Being located at Kalamunda Bob Senn may know the owner. Zykra may also know the car. They had a severe storm there tow days ago and the power may not be back on yet though so Bob won't see this.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Fellow Frogger

Look in the classifieds of last month's CCOCA mag and there were a couple on offer, probably nearer to you but sounded like more 'project' than you may want.

I was once told that the steering if often heavier than it needs to be because joints have worn and been adjusted up in the straight ahead position, making them quite tight when turning. I've never tested the theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    What a great round up - Thanks Trading Estate...may well take you up on all of the above. I became a bit despondent when the clubs couldn't pull together and although always enjoying the company of club members - very much so in fact, there are some inspiring individuals in their ranks - have remained a bit alien to the action - despite 25 years as an earnest owner...almost joined again last year but life in its other configurations took over and alas. Time to drag out the membership forms I guess...Where abouts are you in Melbourne? Maybe we could exchange 'spins'.

Best wishes,

Tim
    Sent you a PM
    cheers
    David
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

There's a nice TA in the CCCV website classies also, Tim.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Hello Tim,
    After a D nothing really stops quick enough but I find the traction's braking good enough. Often the boosters give more trouble than they're worth.

I think it was in a recent Restored Cars Magazine that I read to use brake lining that is used for MARINE WINCH BRAKES. Apparently modern brake lining is a lot harder or something and when using an old car we are not actually experiencing how it would have been in their day.

Rob Little at Ccoca has been very helpful so the club has been good.

The car looks okay - - but then they always do on websites.
    Check that the brakes work. The Big 15 which we bought from Steeley has LHM in the brake system which Steeley did so it's a dream. Why this isn't done more often I don't know.

Happy motoring, John Paas.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post

The car looks okay - - but then they always do on websites.
    Check that the brakes work. The Big 15 which we bought from Steeley has LHM in the brake system which Steeley did so it's a dream. Why this isn't done more often I don't know.

Happy motoring, John Paas.
    I Have Dot 5 silicon fluid made by Shell for motorbikes in mine. Yes bonded linings done these daye are too hard. CTA sells the original linings supplied with rivets.
    The heaviness of the steering has a lot to do with the state of the front ball joints and the tie rod ends. New parts are available and literally transform the car. Check the condition of the steering rack gaiters. If broken the rack will more than likely need rebuilding. If you buy it the first thing I would do is over haul the gearbox whether you think it needs it or not. Checking that everything is right in this department can save a great deal of heart ache later on. If you need advice on how to go about this PM me.

Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Gerry,
    I should know all this but I believe that when about to use silicon brake fluid one needs to drain every last part of the other fluid out - - and maybe put different seals in.

Yours must be fine. Are there problems with silicone weeping because it is too thin ???

Our Light 15 is on brake fluid and although every thing has been reconditioned etc by previousl owner John Wilkinson I would like to avoid problems down the track.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    Gerry,
    I should know all this but I believe that when about to use silicon brake fluid one needs to drain every last part of the other fluid out - - and maybe put different seals in.

Yours must be fine. Are there problems with silicone weeping because it is too thin ???

Our Light 15 is on brake fluid and although every thing has been reconditioned etc by previousl owner John Wilkinson I would like to avoid problems down the track.

John.
    Unfortunately John the brake lines must be totally cleaned out and new seals and hoses used through out. It is best to change to silicon at the time of a total overhaul of the brake system. I have not had any problems with it creeping past the seals. I fitted brand new wheel cylinders and a re sleeved master cylinder. I am still running bonded brake linings and want to change to the rivetted type ASAP. Pedal pressure is a little high and it takes much more effort to slow the car. My last car with the correct linings was owned during the late 60's and early 70's. I remember I could stop that car from 35 miles per hour in 30 feet.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Tim
    I'm just about to get my 11BL on to club plates but having had one before (although with twin carbs)
    I can comment..
    Just lovely to drive where I am in a semi rural setting...doesn't seem to slow..esp if you are a ID driver/owner
    There is a wonderful evocative feeling of pre war ambience when driving on with windows wound out and big headlights pointing your direction of travel.
    when set up properly they feel remarkably modern...
    I'm about 80 odd kms away in Red Hill but you are welcome to take her for a drive
    Cheers
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Thanks for the kind offer Andrew, this is all looking tempting! It's strange that I should be feeling I need something older, rather than the other way round...I guess that's the kind of suckers we are! Nice description of your rural drives! Country trips are always the best...

Tim
    If you venture as far south as Sorrento you car drive an ID engined one. The modest increase in power plus 4 speeds make for a much more tractable (excuse pun) car in modern traffic. Despite your initial misgivings about this , it is then a daily driver , which mine is.
    I have just finished a comprehensive service and check over in anticipation of the drive to Stanthorpe. Cruising at 95-100 kpm instead of 80-85 kpm is very appealling, just for the noise factor alone !!
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Thanks bobsie! Sounds like a peninsula crawl should be on the cards! Nice trip for the ID, too!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bobsie View Post
    Tim
    If you venture as far south as Sorrento you car drive an ID engined one. The modest increase in power plus 4 speeds make for a much more tractable (excuse pun) car in modern traffic. Despite your initial misgivings about this , it is then a daily driver , which mine is.
    I have just finished a comprehensive service and check over in anticipation of the drive to Stanthorpe. Cruising at 95-100 kpm instead of 80-85 kpm is very appealling, just for the noise factor alone !!
    Is it geared down on the traction ? That engine/gbox is good for an indicated 90mph in an ID19

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

No , standard ID engine and gearbox. I find the most limiting factor on speed for me is the noise level. Standard TA has both lots of mechanical and body/wind noise above about 85kph.
    Mechanical noise with the ID is not an issue until about 105kph still wind noise thou
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Wow....just been viewing pics of the ex-carey family nine. What amazing cars they are. Really appeal to the 'moving the family in style '. I just love the merging of the stylish limo with absolute utility, grace and function yet air of rectitude as well. Such a time-machine, what endeavour. Better than a Cloud or R type??? More evocative! A remarkable car...Whoops, I'm sounding a bit like Toad, now. Or have I been watching too much Miss Marple? Blame the ABC. I think I'm in trouble...Talk me out of it, Talk me out of it! Would I be able to keep the ID in the manner to which she is accustomed....? What can I convince Kathy she needs?

Tim

Thread Information