Tyres for a DS23....
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Tyres for a DS23....

After a long and tiring journey, the DS has been sent for a spa treatment prior to moving her to Canberra for registration and a cosy garage space....

Thanks again to DS (Darren) for doing this journey with me.

Now, on the controversial subject of tyres....

She is wearing a full set of Michelin XVS tyres that may or may not be good enough to use given they have been subjected to Broken Hills heat for the past 5 years even if they have not had much driving done on them. Additionally, I don't know how old they actually are without having a closer look....

Sooooo....

What I'd like to know from fellow froggers:

- What tyres have you got on your DS?
    - Are you happy with them?
    - Do you think they're better or worse than XVS?
    - ...and what would you buy to replace what you've got?

Regards

Chris...

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tyres for a DS23....-ds-loaded-ready-leave.jpg   Tyres for a DS23....-just-outside-broken-hill.jpg  

Michelin, I'm a confirmed fan. Price is the stumbling point.
    Options are few, Dunlop, which seem acceptable to the UK market and Vredestein which here in Oz seem outrageously priced considering their cheap price in Europe.
    The Vredestein are louder on the road than the Michelin, wear quite well and are decent in the wet.

I'm not sure what is actually available off the shelf (these days) in the way of Asian made tyres.
    I have a pair of Hankooks which are now 12 yars of age, never looked like wearing out, but don't have the sidewall flex of the original michelin, being made for small commercial vehicles.

These are my personal experiences only on two cars over about 15-20000ks in the past five years.
    Hope this helps.

Excellent....

Tread patterns or tyre 'name'?

Oh, and is it feasible to go up a size and down aspect ratio....195/65 15 and 185/70 15 have a sidewall height difference of about 3mm if my maths is correct....and it would open the doors to many many different tread patterns including XM1+
    Last edited by Ronhic; 1st March 2011 at 11:44 PM.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhic View Post

Regards

Chris...
    Chris,
    I've just been through this and like Richo have stuck with Michelin, it's a big call at close to $500.00 a corner via Stuckeys.

Stuckeys will offer a Dunlop tyre in the same size for just over half the cost of the Michelin, these were fitted to Mercs of about the same vintage and may well be a cost effective option.

I think most of the other options have dried up, the only other tyre that fits is the Federals, from what I've heard these are good for keeping your car off the ground and passing a roadworthy but not much else...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Chris,
    I've just been through this and like Richo have stuck with Michelin, it's a big call at close to $500.00 a corner via Stuckeys.

Stuckeys will offer a Dunlop tyre in the same size for just over half the cost of the Michelin, these were fitted to Mercs of about the same vintage and may well be a cost effective option.

I think most of the other options have dried up, the only other tyre that fits is the Federals, from what I've heard these are good for keeping your car off the ground and passing a roadworthy but not much else...

Cheers
    Chris
    ...and your thoughts about going 195/65 15....?

Will they fit at the rear?

Icon3

Will they fit at the rear?
    Many have fitted different sizes and many are very happy with their choice, I think the slightly wider profile does mean you lose full lock and you may have to re-shape the rear guards a little? One advantage that has been mentioned is that you have a greater selection of tyres available if you need a replacement on a trip.

I'm afraid I'm too indoctrinated and anything other than XAS (if you can get them) or XVS just look wrong, and I really believe that on a D, Michelin will give you the ultimate ride and safety margin. Given the distances we now drive these cars you will probably get their full 10 years life, in that respect I can justify the outlay.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Thats a very valid point, and does make the +/- $2000 spent more palatable, but I am still interested as to what other options are out there....

My DS21 is fitted with Kumhos, they were on the car when I bought it almost two years ago. I had initially thought I would get rid of them as soon as possible but they've actually proven to be a fantastic tyre.

They've done a trip to Launceston (Cit In 2010) and back. We took the coast road which involved some good twisty bits as well as 80kms of dirt roads and then barrelled straight back up the highway on the way home. There was some pretty rotten weather at times and these tyres performed flawlessly.

This car has also been out to Dubbo and back and the tyres are still fine with plenty of meat left on them.

I'll have a look tonight and see what model they are.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

The Vredestiens are louder, handle great.
    But they make the steering harder at low speeds compared to the Michelins.
    Fresh Michelins are lots and lots of fun and the ride quality is superb.

Don't know if you can get them, but a 185 75 15 will fit the rims, and those are a lot of fun too. Just not "correct".

And out my way, lots of people are running a Yokohama 205 15 with nice results.

The 72 and newer DS/ID had a rear fender with an angle point that makes it easier to fit the wider tires.

On the 71 and older cars, sometimes you have to trim the fender to make it clear the 205 tire.

205's are wider, and sticky. We hammer the snot out of a set on a car we call the DS21+.
    Now if you can get a set of SM rims to go with the 205 tires?

WooooHoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    We have one of those around too. Rides like a dreamboat and corners like a sports car.

I Posted this a while back about the Michelin tyres. here is his last quote.
    The 185x15 xas is no longer made, they make the 185x15 XVS-P available @ £219.50

Tyres
    I saw your post about the tyres.

If you email Tom Homan he will quote you the tyres and will also quote the shipping cost which i found to be very reasonable. I don't now if you will get sligged with inport duty as they are a vintage tyre. if you keep your purchase under AUST$1000 then no GST.

here is the contact and their website.

Tom Homan
    Longstone Tyres
    Borrani UK
    [email protected]
    http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk

Hudson's Yard
    Doncaster Road
    Bawtry
    Doncaster
    South Yorkshire
    UK
    DN10 6NX

Tel: 01302 711 123
    Fax: 01302 710 113

VAT no: 182 6293 47

Give Tempe Tyres a call - They would order a set in Michellin GS spec for $350 a corner fitted and balanced! Maybe the D won't be that much more, or a similar price? Nangwangs were $90....
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Tadpole

Default Longstone Tyres

I have bought tyres from Longstone,great to deal with and there is no duty on these classic tyres.

Cheers Dave.

Michelin XVS can't be beaten.

Lock thread!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

...Sooooo....

Regards
    Chris...
    XVS on DSP
    Kumho on DS23SAFARI

XVS - Very much.
    Kuhmo - they are ok but not as quiet as XVS nor as sure in rain or on rough surfaces (Kuhmo are no longer available in the 185/15/70+ size)

-...and what would you buy to replace what you've got?
    XVS (save the money),
    I have a replacement set of fully reworked wheels and for DS23SAFARI that are fitted with Federal.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

I wouldn't do it.
    I've never found a need for a wider tyre in all my driving (and you know my driving style).
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW

Excellent....

Tread patterns or tyre 'name'?

Oh, and is it feasible to go up a size and down aspect ratio....195/65 15 and 185/70 15 have a sidewall height difference of about 3mm if my maths is correct....and it would open the doors to many many different tread patterns including XM1+
    It is my belief that you wont like the ride or road holding by using a smaller sidewall tyre.
    I had 65 profile tyres on my Safari when i first got it and the thing skipped about. not nice.

Yes, I've discovered that the Kumho are no longer available in 185/80 15...which is shame given they were about 40% of the price of XVS...

Still, I'll take what reasonable tyres I can get until I have sufficient funds to put the 'real deal' on the girl...

Default federal

I had 4 federal tyres fitted to my DS 23 about a year ago. I was looking for Kumho or Hankook tyres that I had used previously, but these were not available. The Federals are generally OK, except in the wet. The tyre pattern is similar to the previous tyres that I have used, so I don't know why adhesion in the wet should be such a problem.

Saving for Michelins next time around.

Cheers
    Richard

Thanks Richard....

Well I'll strike Federals off the list then....unless they are the last thing I can find...and you're not the first to comment about them either.

The chap I spoke to on the Kumho help number was very sympathetic to all our plights in finding non-classic (read - affordable) tyres and I did feel a little better when he said that the 758's were being discontinued, not just the size we all need.

DS

Chris, don't write off the old XVS that are on the car till you have driven on them. Remember you have centre point steering and straight tracking with a blow-out on a DS.....;-)

I'll second the Federals in the wet. Bald XVS never caused an issue on any surface. NEW Federals and I got the rear of my Safari to drift! The Federals are a 185/70 tyre but they sure don't appear to have 185 as road contact. I should go measure that!

Icon3

Chris,

Give Stuckey's a call, the guy I spoke to when I bought my XVS was really helpful. As I mentioned before they stock an alternative in a vintage Dunlop that has the correct dimensions for a D, at if I remember correctly around $240.00 a tyre. These may prove to be your best option now for new if you don't run with the Michelin. I would be tempted to run them on the rear of my car.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

UFO

Maybe Antique Tyres is also worth a look. Here is their range in 185/15s

http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/taxonomy/term/165
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Chris, don't write off the old XVS that are on the car till you have driven on them. Remember you have centre point steering and straight tracking with a blow-out on a DS.....;-)

I'll second the Federals in the wet. Bald XVS never caused an issue on any surface. NEW Federals and I got the rear of my Safari to drift! The Federals are a 185/70 tyre but they sure don't appear to have 185 as road contact. I should go measure that!
    I havn't written them off as such, just knowing that they have sat in the heat for 5 1/2 years before I bought the car and it is unlikely they were new when the car was sold, so I'm going to have a guess and reckon that it's at least 8yrs since they were made, probably longer....and that in combination with the heat and not moving (often) makes me think they're not going to be the best thing....

...moreover, I need a back up plan as I won't have the money for new XVS after doing the rust etc....

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Maybe Antique Tyres is also worth a look. Here is their range in 185/15s

http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/taxonomy/term/165
    I love it how none of the available tyres have a remotely "modern" looking tread pattern!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information