D Window rubber fitting?
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Default D Window rubber fitting?

New bits for UFO arrived today and this includes new window rubbers and felts. So I am starting on fitting tonight.

When putting the rubbers on, is it clips on first then push the rubber into them or clips clamped onto rubbers then clip into the door?

The felts are easy as their new spring clips push in, then you push them into the door holes.

Advice anyone?

Thanks

Advertisement
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    New bits for UFO arrived today and this includes new window rubbers and felts. So I am starting on fitting tonight.

When putting the rubbers on, is it clips on first then push the rubber into them or clips clamped onto rubbers then clip into the door?

The felts are easy as their new spring clips push in, then you push them into the door holes.

Advice anyone?

Thanks
    I'm yet to do mine but... IMO

Fit new metal clips, then fit new outer rubbers, then fit new clips to felts and fit felts to door

Have you fitted the lower rubber to inside your doors? I've removed mine to paint inside the doors, they look like they are going to fight me on replacement

I also have replacement white rubbers for the door sills, how do you remove the stainless keeper??

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Thanks GB. Makes sense.

Spray some INOX on the channels before you slide the lower door rubbers in. Even better if it is Inox with lanolin.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Advice anyone?

Thanks
    I fitted the clips to the rubbers, then onto the outer door frame. be careful with the clips, pressure in anyforce other than down will break the clip tab where it fits to the door. am assuming you are using new clips.
    The inner felts as you have found were easy.

Hope this helps.

UFO

Yes new clips
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Have you fitted the lower rubber to inside your doors? I've removed mine to paint inside the doors, they look like they are going to fight me on replacement

I also have replacement white rubbers for the door sills, how do you remove the stainless keeper??

Cheers
    Chris
    The lower horizontal door rubber fitted into the strip spot welded to the door can be fitted two ways, depending on the fight.
    1. Slide the strip in using glycerine or silicone spray as a lubricant. This won't damage the new paint.
    2. Push the top lip into the holder, then push up and fit the bottom lip over the edge of the metal strip.

Did this by hand, no tools, didn't want to damage the (then) new paint.

The white rubbers (also known as kissing rubbers) they also slide in. The silicon spray workes wonders.
    If you have a stainless holder, you're on a winner. The IDs sometime earlier were only steel.
    They are held on with Pozidriv screws, seven a strip from memory. If I go out to the shed I can be more certain of the number of screws.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by richo; 1st March 2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: further information

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by jackafrica View Post
    I fitted the clips to the rubbers, then onto the outer door frame. be careful with the clips, pressure in anyforce other than down will break the clip tab where it fits to the door. am assuming you are using new clips.
    The inner felts as you have found were easy.

Hope this helps.
    hmmm, as the clip position is determined by the existing holes why would you fit the clips to the rubber and not the door?

I figured that, assembly would be the reverse of... in the immortal words of Haynes

Edit*

Quote Originally Posted by jackafrica
    The white rubbers (also known as kissing rubbers) they also slide in. The silicon spray workes wonders.
    If you have a stainless holder, you're on a winner. The IDs sometime earlier were only steel.
    They are held on with Pozidriv screws, seven a strip from memory. If I go out to the shed I can be more certain of the number of screws.
    Thanks Richo, this could be a big help, I hope mine are the slide rather than screw type ...

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

UFO

I can tell you that fitting new interior light covers is a very simple job.

I expect the new washer on the rear wing nuts will also be simple.

The new interior handle for the right rear door will be tricky.

Gear linkage bushes... hmm, mental health day?

New heat shields on the manifold? Shiny goodness.

New o-rings on the gearchange shaft. One day soonish.

Fitting new rubber cup covers for the rear struts. Yes... one day soon too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    hmmm, as the clip position is determined by the existing holes why would you fit the clips to the rubber and not the door?

I figured that, assembly would be the reverse of... in the imortal words of Haynes

Cheers
    Chris
    Perhaps I fitted mine incorrectly, however that is how mine were done. It wasn't difficult to calculate the position of the clip.

Fellow Frogger

When Richo mentions Posidriv screws, he makes a very important point. They are an entirely different profile to Philips head screws and you will not get good engagement with the screw heads if you use a Philips head driver. Look at the extra marking on the heads so you know how to identify them. Buy some Posidriv bits or drivers and make your life much easier. You need at least #1, #2 and #3. Larger sizes are rarely found and not on a DS/ID in my experience.

Interior door handle is a doddle. replacement is the opposite of removal, the rubber holding clip ( for want of a better description is fiddly.
    Adjust door handle to ensure door locks when locking clip pushed forward. Achieved by leaving the nut loose, then positioning. Lightly tighten when it is all working.

Gear linkage bushes, easy, except on a D Special the bronze bush up near the firewall. The spherical ball on the cross shaft must be adjustedso the cross rod is level. The rubber and teflon bushings in the main rod are easy too.

Rubber cups on the rear struts. Jack the car up, release pressure via pressure regulator, height adjuster on low. Standard procedure. Remove the pin, then the cup and ball. Clean and grease, checking condition of the rod and socket where the ball slides. Fit into place with the new rubber, line up the holes and insert the pin.

New heat manifolds can be a pain (in my personal experience), lining the inner cover up properly to fit the outer cover, then making sure the mounting studs are in the right place.......
    hmm. About to revisit that one after a clever welder managed to rebuild part of the old tin plate and TIG it up.
    Now I can TIG sheet that thin in steel. Takes practice.
    I wouldn't buy the alloy ones again, but perhaps they have improved in the past few years since I bought and fitted mine.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Icon10

Your well on the way, half a days work with a tea break

Strip all doors, prep and paint

Re-strip front guards, fix rust properly prep and paint

Strip rear guards, prep and paint.

Fix rust in C pillars

Re-fit rear screen, trumpets, new rear indicators

Rear supension boots

Re-fit 3 pulley water pump, check condition of air-con, fix as required.

Fit re-con steering rack (thanks Richo, hope to get 4 of your spheres soon).

Drive to Sydney pick up parts bought on ebay

Fit new Michelin tyres to powdercoated rims

...that's just starters, and I was hoping to drive to Stanthorpe for Cit-in

BTW, no one is helping, other than the good advice I get here

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Too much to answer there Chris for my hands! You know my number and you're welcome any time.
    The satisfaction of making your own mistakes (rectifying them) and completing the task by yourself is worth the effort, if you're the solitary type like myself.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by jackafrica View Post
    Too much to answer there Chris for my hands! You know my number and you're welcome any time.
    The satisfaction of making your own mistakes (rectifying them) and completing the task by yourself is worth the effort, if you're the solitary type like myself.
    Enjoying every frustrating minute Richo, just left my run about 10 years too late, we should talk more about your welder, I'm going to have another crack with my Mig but it's not very friendly on thin steel. Might have to cut my losses and upgrade to an inverter Tig?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger

[QUOTE=GreenBlood;933478
    Fix rust in C pillars
    [/QUOTE]

A one line item with much more to it than you will ever have expected!
    Did the seat belt anchorages helpfully come out with the rear seat belts???

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    A one line item with much more to it than you will ever have expected!
    Did the seat belt anchorages helpfully come out with the rear seat belts???
    Seat belt anchorages are still firmly part of the chassis, another couple of years and that may not have been the case. A few holes starting to appear in the parcel shelf. Rust is worse on the drivers side and has eaten through the inner and outer skins at the rear. Not really that bad on the passenger side.

I'll update my renovation thread in Froggy restorations with pics, but yes, it was much worse than I expected. I'm glad I needed to remove the C pillar trims to replace the captive nuts that were seized in the trumpets otherwise I may not have dug so deep.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information