CX: a new way of getting stranded
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX: a new way of getting stranded

I took the CX Prestige for a slightly longer run on Sunday morning and went to attend a CCCQ breakfast meeting. On the way I got a little bit lost, as usually, and had to pull in an empty carpark to turn around. I think I engaged the reverse little bit too roughly. The car jumped a bit and stalled.
    I knew this car is not a good starter when hot (the sluggish starter motor, a reconditioned one on its way) so when she did not start I waited for a while it to cool down. Then I waited more and more and more. When ever I tried she just did not start. Finally I realised there is something really wrong (should have know it straightaway). I took the fornt headlight off to see that the cables to the ignition module are fine - and they were. After trying to wiggle all the connections I could think I noticed the engine was sitting in a funny angle and yes that was the problem! When I reversed with the force the engine had moved (even with the newly rebuild porkchop) so much the ignition HT lead coming from the coil got trapped between the front cross-member and the inlet manifold. The sharp edge of the cross-member had cut through the lead and basically shorted it.
    I had to use the big srewdiver to move the engine so I could free the HT lead. I replaced it with the long 4th cylinder lead so I know I had the good lead coming from the ignition coil and put the damaged one for the 4th cylinder. The car started nicely and run with all4 cylinders as well.
    Well, at least now I know to route the cable so that it has no chance getting trapped the same way again. It was like that when I purchased the car.
    Maybe the bottom mount is bad because I would not expect the engine to move that much.

Advertisement
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

JBN

Sounds like the lower engine mount made be in need of replacement. Since you have recently done the top mount, you may as well do the gearbox mount as well, so you have the engine properly supported.

John

This may be useless info Kimmo, but 6 months back my lower engine mount bolt literally fell out, I did a post on it...probably lost now...

worth checking though....and I really felt it in my gears as I limped home
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

When I have changed the lower mount I always tighten it to the specified torque - but of course I have not changed it on this one, so yes - I will check that
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I don't think I've ever had 3good mounts in a CX. I finally put brand new lower and gearbox mounts in the CX last year.... and now the tops so collapsed the gearshift is getting tight to move. Guess which mount is the most expensive BTW ... yep the bottom that none of us ever change!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

BTW: Does that early CX have a ignition system similar to the BX??? If so heat that igntion modue with something like a hair dryer and see if it suddenly stops working when it get hot.

That maybe the source of your problems............ given you don't have flywheels sensors to get warm and intermittant

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I was glad to see that Kimmo has put a lot of effort into tidying the Prestige, though I also hope that the new/recon starter solves the problems. When I sold it the starter was noted as suspect, and had to be immediately replaced by the then new owner.
    I have to say that seeing the car again brought on the biggest bout of melancholy I've had in a long time - strange how a car can be linked to so many emotions. Listening to Kimmo talk about repainting panels reminded me that it was 20 years ago that I was reassembling the car after its big respray.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

I reckon we could find another CX prestige for Bruce if we looked around... After all, he desperately needs one

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

When ever I see Bruce, I ask if he considers getting another CX and everytime the answer is firm "NO". What means he will probably get one

That car has had many homes: Manchester - London - Brisbane - Byron Bay - Melbourne - Adelaide - Brisbane

Changing the bottom mount takes me couple of hours and is a very frustrating process. I would like to avoid that. Maybe I just drive gently for the time being.
    CX Register

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    I have to say that seeing the car again brought on the biggest bout of melancholy I've had in a long time - strange how a car can be linked to so many emotions. Listening to Kimmo talk about repainting panels reminded me that it was 20 years ago that I was reassembling the car after its big respray.
    Regrets...

Selling my CX2500ie Prestige
    Losing my 1969 DS21 carb BVH to a runaway truck (written off back then, but probably would have been rebuilt now give their current value)

Bruce you do have the consolation that your car is in very good hands

Regrets? I've had a few,
    But then again, too few to mention.
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course -
    Each careful step along the byway,
    And more, much more than this,
    I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew,
    When I bit off more than I could chew,
    But through it all, when there was doubt,
    I ate it up and spit it out.
    I faced it all and I stood tall
    And did it my way.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Yes, Chris, but I was glad to see the car after Kimmo has spent so much time working on it, rather than before.

As for having another CX, as I explained to Kimmo (probably yet again) on Sunday, a single person household doesn't need a CX (hmm, so I probably also don't need 7 cars, but that's another malady entirely ). In discussing the car, I remembered that I probably only ever sat in the back seat for no more than half a dozen journeys in about 15 years of ownership (ok, one of those trips was sharing the driving to a Canberra Cit-In so it was a decently long ride). Beautiful car as the Prestige is, I just don't need that much metal around me - a point apparent in that I owned an AX at the same time as the Prestige, and the AX was a more than adequate commuter for me.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

To be honest CX Prestige is rather unpractical car for me as well. A Familiale (or even better: Safari) would be better, but it will be couple of years before I get mine on the road, if ever.
    CX Register

The prestige isn't practical ??? Gee's don't get a standard sedan then if you think a long wheel base prestige isn't practical

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

It is not practical if you need to bring home bales of hay to the goats or dozen 6" fence posts and 6 bags of cement

I am quite a shortie and never worn a top hat (dont need the raised roof) and the kids are only 6 and 8 so in terms of space the standard sedan is fine for me. However, the Prestige is not all about space, it is also about it being the Prestige
    CX Register

wagons are vast .... bloody brilliant things... the exact opposite to the sedan They drive better than sedans too.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    They drive better than sedans too.
    That they do!

Great to see the Prestige is back on the road, despite the bumps along the way.

Where did you end up getting the starter motor from?

-Donat
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

CX Prestige not practical, beg to differ. OK I should be driving a Prius or C4 EGS in the current climate, actually if the C4 rode properly I would have one. Now into its 14th year as my daily driver it is brilliant. Yesterday I was faced with a gap between a parked car and the M90 Metro Bus, we just sneaked through, the Getz following us did not follow. The CX is about 80mm narrower than a Xantia which helps.

Whenever SWMBO suggests it costs to much to run I remind her how much our good friends have spent on the 4 cars they have had in the time. The current 380 is on its third window regulator, the CX still wears its originals. When I lift the bonnet I understand everything there. Yes there are a few annoying rattles but I intend to give it a big cleanup in the near future and one objective is to silence the door rattles for good. Should be fun and won't cost me cent.

Stick with it Kimmo
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    That they do!

Great to see the Prestige is back on the road, despite the bumps along the way.

Where did you end up getting the starter motor from?

-Donat
    It was from somewhere in UK. I am really addicted to eBay it seems. Well, I have bought all my 4 CXs from eBay.
    CX Register

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    To be honest CX Prestige is rather unpractical car for me as well. A Familiale (or even better: Safari) would be better, but it will be couple of years before I get mine on the road, if ever.
    I'LL SWAP YOU! My familliale may have a little rust but nothing you can't fix eh?

It sounds like my father has someone looking at the old Safari wagon here this weekend....... Anyone that wants to buy what is probably the straightest most rust free wagon in Australia (maybe even the world) better get in quick !!!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N View Post
    I'LL SWAP YOU! My familliale may have a little rust but nothing you can't fix eh?
    It definately has got less rust than my brown familiale (a good colour considering how rusty it is) but more that my green one. But, of course the green one does not have an engine, or steering rack, or hardly anything in place
    CX Register

Thread Information