C5 headlight globes - how to replace?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 headlight globes - how to replace?

Seems like a stupid question, but I have tried to replace a low beam LHS headlight globe in my C5 hdi 2005 series 2 (has the newer headlights). There is the usual spring clip thingy, but you can't see how it works. I got it all out, but I am blowed if I can get it back again.

I can get the two wire ends in the bottom holes, but then how does it clip at the top?

Alternatively, how do i get the headlights out if I want to replace them in a way where I can actually see what I am doing?

regards, Erik

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

I have been back to have the dealer do them twice. The left hand one (passenger side) can be seen if you remove the battery, I did it once. The other is a pain near the pump. I have seen it done twice now and still can't do it myself, I don't have the knack I suppose. I even took photos to help sort it out. Tim

I have done both sides. It isn't easy, but it is possible.

You squeeze the ends of the clip together and pull them towards the back of the car. Once you do it you won't believe how hard it seemed to start off with.

Try poking your phone in with the flash on and taking a photo. Don't hold it too close.

Oh yeah, don't leave any fingerprints on the glass of the lamp itself or you'll be doing it all again very soon.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Erikbm View Post
    Seems like a stupid question, but I have tried to replace a low beam LHS headlight globe in my C5 hdi 2005 series 2 (has the newer headlights). There is the usual spring clip thingy, but you can't see how it works. I got it all out, but I am blowed if I can get it back again.

I can get the two wire ends in the bottom holes, but then how does it clip at the top?

Alternatively, how do i get the headlights out if I want to replace them in a way where I can actually see what I am doing?

regards, Erik
    Hi Erik,

Drivers side headlight is a real mongrel... on our series 1 C5 the only way I could replace the bulb was to remove the front bumper cover.

Have a lok at this link on the UK Cit club forum, seems the same drama exists on the series 2 cars.
    http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk...ndpost&p=38184

I took a few pics when I did ours, so attached image is of a series 1, may help?

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 headlight globes - how to replace?-h7-removed.jpg   C5 headlight globes - how to replace?-headlight-removed.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

OK. I have now managed it successfully, after a few abortive attempts.

I don't know if it is standard operating procedure, but I removed the front bumper bar (lots of little tork head screws along the bottom and three at the top) to get at the RH headlight and see how it all worked.

There are 3 bolts holding the headlights in, one at the top that you can see and two at teh bottom sides, that you can't, until you remove the bumper bar.

Pull the globe out however you like, but the procedure to put it back in is important:

1. Place the globe in position with the notch at the top.
    2. Spring the clip into position. It clips at the top with a little nudge to the right.
    3. Push the wiring plug onto the two contacts of the globe.
    4. Replace the plastic cover and check that teh lights work.

To remove them all in the first place is a bit more difficult. I used two methods. The first one was to remove teh spring clip entirely by undoing it from the bottom slots, as I couldn't get it to spring out of the top. Getting it back in is a bit tricky and is best done with the use of a 10 yo child who can both reach and see...

The better method is to

1. Remove the wiring plug.
    2. Get the clip to spring out from the top, by giving it exactly the right sort of a nudge to the front and then to the right and then releasing it.
    3. Then remove the globe, hopefully to find out it is blown.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Erik

Thread Information