XM Cruise Control
  • Register
  • Help

Default XM Cruise Control

Driving along the other day through the NSW Central Tablelands, with everything operating as it should, all of a sudden the cruise control failed, though was working correctly before...It hasnt worked since, though the light on the dash is displayed, just doesn't engage

I looked in the user manual, (waste of time) then looked in the supposed technical manual I had, that also told me nothing..

I cant even find where the thing lives in the car...

Can anyone give me some advice to assist me, before consulting the mechanic, and please, not to sell the car, it's my dream vehicle...

Advertisement

The XM, in my opinion, is the last of the truly great citroens, before the bean counters turned them into white goods....

Thanks for any help in advance..

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Check the switch in the brake pedal....

On mine, inside the front left wheelarch, the vacuum pump had a split pipe, and the relay beside the radiator had dodgy connections

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

UFO

If you look at the carburettor/fuel air system you will see where a small brass (I think) rod is supposed to connect to a rubbery grommet thing near where the throttle cable connects. The small rod will likely be hanging vertically as the grommet has failed.

The rod connects to a cone shaped rubber piece that provides vacuum for the cruise control.

You cannot buy the grommet from Citroen as far as I know, but if you go to the local hardware store you can buy a pack of two nylon wheels for under aluminium windows for a few dollars. One of these can be made to fit by running the channel up and down a hacksaw blade a few times.

It's a long time since I did that job to my 12 V6 XM, so the memory is rugged.

If yours is not a 12v V6 and a later 24V one, then my solution may not work.

Post some details and pics of your XM please.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

OK, here are some pics of the cruise control, as Craig said this relates to a 12 valve V6.

I have modified mine as the same part failed on mine also. It is a plastic piece that cracks and breaks after living in a hot engine bay for 15 years.

Picture 1.The cruise control bellows is directly below the three red ignition leads running to the aft bank of cylinders. There is a rod, brass coloured, that pulls on the device that the throttle cable is connected to.

Picture 2. It is the big round thing on the right. You can see where the vacuum tube connects. You may want to check to see if this is connected and the tube isn't holed.

Picture 3. The mechanism is on the left in this photo.

Sorry I haven't got any better photos. These were taken during my head gasket replacement, not specifically for the cruise control.

I hope this helps.

Doublechevron has a diesel powered XM. This was the vacuum pump he is referring to. This won't be fitted to the petrol models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XM Cruise Control-xm-cruise-1.jpg   XM Cruise Control-xm-cruise-2.jpg   XM Cruise Control-xm-cruise-3.jpg  
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

UFO

Thanks XMC, I was looking for similar pics but mine must be on a stored HDD.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default xm cruise control

check the vacuum hose from throttle body[a large rubber bellows] see if it is still connected , follow it through to right side under mudguard in front of wheel[jack car up, remove wheel,remove guard liner,
    easy to do,check hose, electrial connections,clean all connectors ,then relays
    most likely is a bad connection or split in hose

Thanks for your advice, after checking the grommet, it has indeed fractured and I will repair
    it ASAP..

Thanks to all for your replies and assistance,
    I really appreciate the completeness of the answers..
    Currently: - XM Series II (94) 12V

Previously:- XM Series I
    1 BX (1.4L),
    3 CX 2400,
    1 ID19
    1 CX 2000

And a lot of other cars, over a whole lot of time...

Thread Information