XANTIA ACTIVA; suspension questions for Xantia genius..
  • Register
  • Help

Default XANTIA ACTIVA; suspension questions for Xantia genius..

My (1998) Xantia Activa is wonderful, but, no-one seems to have answers for the following:

a) slow to get pressure .. even if only turned off for a few minutes needs time to resume

Advertisement

b) rear occasionally comes with a bang.

I have been researching this "problem" for 14 years so far ... no solutions

Lotsa interesting comments on the web .. nothing much in the way of tried and tested
    solutions tho

Gary

Fellow Frogger!

not much information to go on

slow to get presuure, i assume you checked the basics, accumulator sphere, anti sink spheres, hydraulic pump, lhm tank filters,

bang at rear, is this when the car is rising, going over a bump, does the suspension get hard ? any more specific information would be helpful

Hi,

If the Activa system has some leaks, they lose pressure pretty fast once you stop and with only a 2 piston HP pump they take quite a while to get up again. In the UK they are called sinkers.

Mine often drops a variable amount at the back between 1 and 5 minutes after I start up. I think it is the hydractive system opening up to the centre sphere. They seem to stick for a while after they have been at rest. I often wonder how well they work in the dynamic situation.

What do others think?

Cheers,

Ken W

The bang is most likely to be a broken bearing in the rear swing arm, letting go with a bang. Maybe check for wear on the inside edges of the rear tyres, also a sign of wear in the rear swing arm bearings.

I'd remove the spheres , all of them, and have them all pressure tested. That way you will know what needs to be re-gassed or replaced.

Cheers...George 1/8th.

1996 Xantia VSX

Fellow Frogger

Maybe, that's just how it is???

Fellow Frogger!

the suspension shouldnt bash and crash, and mine doesnt drop after a few minutes

in a hydractive car there are lots of bits and pieces, and they all need to work properly for the suspension to perform as it should, unfortunately the xantias are getting to the stage where things do fail....

Hi Peter,

I have a non-hydractive Xantia wagon and the anti-sink works so well that it stays up for weeks.

But on my Activa, the front is certainly down within half a day and after work I need to sit and rev at about 2000rpm for up to a minute to get it up. I think I do have a leak in my front ram and that seems to flatten the Activa supply sphere and the accumulator relatively quickly. Now I should really get that new front ram I bought recently through GSF installed to see if that makes any difference - maybe when it cools down a bit more and after I have had the aircon conpressor overhauled.

Does your ever do the sudden drop a bit at the rear a short while after you have started it?

Another area that can cause a rubbery rattle in the rear suspension is a worn bush on the rear ram where it connects to the rear suspension. Mine is a bit rattley but improves a bit as it warms up. I guess if this bush has broken up and vanished, if would make quite a din.

Cheers,

Ken
    Last edited by Ken W; 27th February 2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Thought of another Activa rattle area

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    I have a non-hydractive Xantia wagon and the anti-sink works so well that it stays up for weeks.

But on my Activa, the front is certainly down within half a day and after work I need to sit and rev at about 2000rpm for up to a minute to get it up.

Does your ever do the sudden drop a bit at the rear a short while after you have started it?

Cheers,

Ken
    Greetings Ken,

I'm new to Citroens but thanks in part to your wise (and generously given) counsel, and of other AF'ers, I convinced myself into a relatively low-km '98 Activa. Btw your diagnosis of worn roll detector rod bushes was spot-on - the boffins at selling dealer Continental were genuinely impressed!

Anyway fwiw on morning start-up, my little French Mistress takes 90 seconds @ idle-speed for the hypno buzzer to extinguish, and another 30 to finish lifting her skirt. About a month into our relationship she began to exhibit that sudden crouch you mention (after 'getting it up' as you say) but just a few times and since disappeared . Perhaps this might be related to it not being driven for a week, and then subsequently put back into daily use? In truth I'm only guessing.

Otherwise it's all systems GO and what an engaging and intruiging machine these things are - a real 'enthusiast's delight'.

Thanks again.

Thread Information