Help needed somewhat urgently!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Help needed somewhat urgently!

Hi folks,
    My Xantia has developed a bad problem whilst in Adelaide - the lowermost pulley on the ancilliary drive belt on the car's 16 valve engine has come loose. As a result there is no alternator charge, and no hydraulic pump in operation. I have two questions - is there a recommended CitroŽn service place in Adelaide, and what drives the lowermost pulley?
    Thanks in advance for any replies...
    Cheers,
    Andrew Matusiewicz

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Sounds like the harmonic balancer, don't start the car in this condition, if the balancer drops off it may take the cambelt with it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default easy fix

sounds like the elastomer band on the harmonic balancer has come adrift (would have been preceeded by lots of squeaking no doubt) Take the main aux belt off, the plastic shielding from in front of the front right wheel and it's just one main bolt in the middle of the balancer. Get this loose and it just slides off and a new one from Caravelle auto is only about $240 or so.

If it's the bottom pulley it's the one that is called a harmonic balance, just a pulley but it does a few things.
    Typically, if something is loose it's most likely to be the outer rim/pulley which was held in position by the rubber inner which may have deteriorated. You need a new unit.
    You might consider checking why this has happened. If you didn't run the engine for long there will hopefully be no major problem. Something has given up somewhere, possibly a belt tensioner pulley may have seized, or the alternator. If everything can rotate freely , you might just have to replace the main pulley.....the harmonic balance.
    Get a new accessories belt while you are at it...about $50.00 at Repco.

The timing belt should be ok.

Good luck.
    Cheers...George 1/8th

1996 Xantia VSX .
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 26th February 2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: to add a bit...

Fellow Frogger

The rubber has presumably let go and the outer part of the pulley is about to come off. Since you are in Adelaide, you should try Martin Bray in Clarendon for a used one. Fitting is easy, but also replace the auxilliary belt is it has been damaged.

UFO

Martin is on 08 8383 6207
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The rubber has presumably let go and the outer part of the pulley is about to come off. Since you are in Adelaide, you should try Martin Bray in Clarendon for a used one. Fitting is easy, but also replace the auxilliary belt is it has been damaged.
    There's the odd extra problem that comes with this if you leave it too long and the whole thing fails and the auxiliary belt comes off and flails around, so don't be macho with it!

I presume the Peugeot dealer in Goodwood could fix it if you needed it "doing", or point you in the right direction..
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi Folks,
    Well, first of all thanks so much for your help. Twelve hundred km from home and I don't have a workshop manual, so your advice has been invaluable. Yes it's the harmonic balancer, rubber link between the two circles is completely fractured. Unfortunately my Dad has given away almost all his tools and what he has won't get the nut off. Anyway, it seems a job a competent mobile mechanic should be able to do. Will try and source a replacement balancer tomorrow...
    Thanks again folks, you've been fabulous!

Cheers,
    Andrew Matusiewicz

Thread Information