Big 15 Family 9
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Big 15 Family 9

  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    gold coast australia
    Posts
    17

    Default Big 15 Family 9

    Currently rebuilding the engine which was converted to an Id19 p, however, I am having a little difficultly finding big end bearings and bolts. The part number on the existing bearing is A4113 which are + .5mm. Can anyone direct me to a supplier that might carry them. Many thanks.

    Advertisement
    Last edited by 1gt40; 26th February 2011 at 05:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Murwillumbah
    Posts
    372

    Default Big 15 Family 9

    Have you tried CCOCA spares, give Rob Little a call 03 58231397

  3. #3
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,426

    Default

    Dont help him until he posts some piccies of the inside of the car for us

    Is this the brown one that was at Maleny with the hatchback many years ago ??

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    600

    Default

    try www.franzose.de

    try part no 30053 up to 30057 also 60179

  5. #5
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    gold coast australia
    Posts
    17

    Default Family 9

    The car was recently bought in Sydney, it is maroon with black wings. Original leather interior with the 3 folding seats that butt up against the front bench seat when in the closed position. The model is a 1955 right hand drive, one of only 25 ever built, it is the sedan not the commercial with the hatch. Hope you enjoy the pic's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big 15 Family 9-copy-2-picture-004%5B1%5D.jpg   Big 15 Family 9-copy-2-picture-005%5B2%5D.jpg   Big 15 Family 9-picture-003%5B1%5D.jpg  

  6. #6
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    gold coast australia
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks for info, I'll give them a try. Just posted some pics if intersted.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    600

    Default

    looks like a fabulous car, and with the ID engine should go quite well,

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! ARCHRIVAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NORTH PERTH W.A.
    Posts
    830

    Default

    i have a couple of sets left over from my adventures i will have a look at sizes
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

  9. #9
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,426

    Default

    That's a fantastic looking car I could use a 9seater car here too ...... ... Who needs a bloody tiny little people mover when you have an old Traction

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  10. #10
    UFO
    UFO is offline
    CitroŽn Tragic UFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gerringong, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    9,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

    Is this the brown one that was at Maleny with the hatchback many years ago ??

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Steph Laguna was driving that. I think he was looking after it for some of the Tracbar Dundee people to save it being shipped back to Europe then back here later - or some such thing.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

  11. #11
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    gold coast australia
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks I'll keep my fingers crossed.

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! Techbuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Ryde Australia
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Don't you go and droole over the Traction Avant sitting in Movieworld? its on your door step.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big 15 Family 9-p1140497.jpg  

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! Trading Estate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Always been intrigued with that car at Movieworld. Its a '49 English with proper wood dash etc (but reversed) and left Hand drive!
    Didn't know they made left hooker light 15's and for which market? One would have thought they would have just imported French 11BL's.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    castlemaine
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Always been intrigued with that car at Movieworld. Its a '49 English with proper wood dash etc (but reversed) and left Hand drive!
    Didn't know they made left hooker light 15's and for which market? One would have thought they would have just imported French 11BL's.
    David, you have to remember that everything in the movie business is not real, just an illusion.

    Seriously, I've not seen this car, but it does seem to be a bit of a dog's breakfast - Slough grille (missing chevrons?), Slough chromed headlights (?), French hubcaps, and very odd tyres.
    Maybe it was an Slough export to a previous British colony which drove on the left. Canada, or an African state?
    roger

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Roger,

    All that you say is right, but the windscreen wipers (post WW11) with bottom Lucas mounting surely indicates Pommy manufacture? Most of the other stuff can be interchanged.

    Reversed wooden dash is a little unusual in this country.

    Regards,

    Fento

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    David, you have to remember that everything in the movie business is not real, just an illusion.

    Seriously, I've not seen this car, but it does seem to be a bit of a dog's breakfast - Slough grille (missing chevrons?), Slough chromed headlights (?), French hubcaps, and very odd tyres.
    Maybe it was an Slough export to a previous British colony which drove on the left. Canada, or an African state?
    roger
    Roger. Up until 1949 TAs from Slough that were supplied to export markets immediately after the war were often fitted with modified French BM wheels. They were cut and fitted with 16 inch rims for tyre availability, hence the odd tyres and chromed French hub caps. As to the missing chevrons, I believe that some one had actually removed them. BTW the chromed grille would be correct. Also note the absence of stone guards on the rear mud guards. The low wipers probably had the wiper motor mounted on the right under the bonnet as was the practice up until ~1948, after this it was moved to the more usual left side. I believe that the car is probably 1946 or 1947. This is indicated by the lack of stone guards and the bumpers with the centre dip. These bumpers are of course pure British and are in heavier gauge steel than the similar but not identical French units. Note the flatter outer sections of the bar. The French bars curve a lot more.
    A left hooker is extremely rare. I remember reading that only about half a dozen were made at Slough. The question remains as to where they were intended to be marketed.
    Cheers Gerry
    Last edited by gerrypro; 1st March 2011 at 09:41 AM.

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! Trading Estate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Roger. Up until 1949 TAs from Slough that were supplied to export markets immediately after the war were often fitted with modified French BM wheels. They were cut and fitted with 16 inch rims for tyre availability, hence the odd tyres and chromed French hub caps. As to the missing chevrons, I believe that some one had actually removed them. BTW the chromed grille would be correct. Also note the absence of stone guards on the rear mud guards. The low wipers probably had the wiper motor mounted on the right under the bonnet as was the practice up until ~1948, after this it was moved to the more usual left side. I believe that the car is probably 1946 or 1947. This is indicated by the lack of stone guards and the bumpers with the centre dip. These bumpers are of course pure British and are in heavier gauge steel than the similar but not identical French units. Note the flatter outer sections of the bar. The French bars curve a lot more.
    A left hooker is extremely rare. I remember reading that only about half a dozen were made at Slough. The question remains as to where they were intended to be marketed.
    Cheers Gerry
    I had a look at it about 8 years ago.It was being pummelled in a hail storm that dented all the cars and put about 50 rent a cars and buses in the car park into Windscreens O'brien. Looks like they have beaten the dents out , maybe thats when they lost the rear stone guards. If I remember correctly its an 11CL8 . Those bumpers were used up until 1949 as well. Mine has them and it wasn't registered by Sheilds motors until 1950! Many strange variety of fittings came out of the Citroen parts bin at Slough after the war. Gerry is right, the BM wheels were often fitted with french hubcaps fully chromed.
    The dash intrigued me and I guess it must be one of the slough left hand drive models mentioned.It has the square dials but in mirror image. It hasn't been cut so it must be original.

    The car just sits there, never goes, what a shame.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    queensland
    Posts
    52

    Default "Movie World" Light 15

    It has been interesting to read all the comments that have been make regarding this car.
    I have seen this car on numerous occasions as I live only a short distance from Movie World and every time I have interstate/international visitors I tend to visit there.
    THe car in question is Slough built right hand drive and could have been built anywhere between '47 &
    '52.It is not possible to open the bonnet to check to chassis number (if indeed the chassis plate is still attached).
    Trying to date a car by bumpers,wheels etc is not possible as these things can very easily be changed and as this car has been somewhat "bastardised" it is not possible to say what is original and what is not.
    Between '49 & '53 Slough built a total of 317 left hand drive cars.
    Belgium was the main market for these cars followed by Switzerland,Canada and the United States.
    Back to the car in question if one looks under the front of the it can be seen that the steering column
    is attached to "nothing".
    It is obvious that a wood worker has simply made up a dash in a mirror image to achieve the LHD effect.
    Because of the totally different dashes between Slough & Paris built cars (wood as opposed to metal) it would be far easier to achieve the LHD appearance using a Slough built car.
    Happy Tractioning
    Brian W
    '40 Light 15
    '51 11BL
    '78 GS Pallas
    '10 C4

  19. #19
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    gold coast australia
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Does anyone know whether it is possible to replace Main bearings on the ID19 engine while it is still in the car, (Family 9). The front or is it back? (gearbox end) oil channel on connecting rod journal was partially blocked as too was the crank shaft bung. So I need to check the mains. Cheers.

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1gt40 View Post
    Does anyone know whether it is possible to replace Main bearings on the ID19 engine while it is still in the car, (Family 9). The front or is it back? (gearbox end) oil channel on connecting rod journal was partially blocked as too was the crank shaft bung. So I need to check the mains. Cheers.
    Why does everyone want to try to take short cuts? The answer is to do the job properly remove the motor and gearbox. It isn't difficult! Besides to try to do it in the car would be a night mare! How would you drop the crank to get the top halves of the shells in? The fly wheel is still connected to the gearbox main shaft !!!!! How would you undo and reseal the timing case? It is possible to do pistons, sleeves and con rods in place but NOT the main bearings!
    Cheers Gerry

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! Middlemoon.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alphington
    Posts
    845

    Default

    You could take that one on the magician's circuit...'hey rocky watch me pull a rabbit...!' But I can understand the hope....have a cup of tea.

    Best wishes,

    Tim

  22. #22
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    gold coast australia
    Posts
    17

    Default

    As I have never worked on an ID engine before I only asked whether it was possible, I'll take that as an emphatic no then. Many thanks.

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger! Middlemoon.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alphington
    Posts
    845

    Default

    But you can take heart because your car is just fabulous!

    Best wishes again,

    Tim

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •