DS Indicator relay??
  • Register
  • Help
    mnm

Default DS Indicator relay??

Hi hi hi

I have a 1970 D SPecial. Where does the indicator relay live? Mine flashes about once every 1.5 secs..when the car's running that is.. when it dies I'll need to replace.

Advertisement

Thanks

Matthew

UFO

Remove speedo binnacle
    Locate flasher pot
    clean connectors
    replace speedo binnacle

Check alternator charge rate at idle.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hi hi hi

I have a 1970 D SPecial. Where does the indicator relay live? Mine flashes about once every 1.5 secs..when the car's running that is.. when it dies I'll need to replace.

Thanks

Matthew
    In my 1969/70 DS21 Geoffrey Howatson took some time to locate it. It was tucked away on the right hand side behind the three dials. As UFO says remove all those bits and begin the hunt!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

To remove the binnacle, first un-do the four screws that hold it in place, then go under the bonnet and un-do the join in the speedo cable.

You can then gently push the binnacle out using the short end of the speedo cable.

At the back of the binnacle there are white, yellow and green connector blocks which will pull straight out, the speedo cable which needs to be unscrewed and finally a thin black cable that only needs to be pulled out of place. In case you didn't know, the thin black cable takes light from the binnacle and illuminates the ignition switch (I forget what it's called).
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

mnm

Thanks guys, will go exploring.

Fellow Frogger!

are you sure all the indictor bulbs are working properly, usually the flasherr can either works or it doesnt, flash rate is controlled by the load on the flasher

Okay, so I took out the instrument binnacle and everything else, then found these.....

Fellow Frogger!

Jeez, Richo -

What have you done???

Fento

If only I knew!
    Do you recognise the D year/type ?

Fellow Frogger!

I certainly recognise the right hand side jumble of wires, connectors, etc - once or twice a week I awake trembling and sweaty after dreaming of this - - - -

The Memsahib has threatened me with a flogging if I persist in trying to sort out these problems in my sleep.

She has also threatened the same if I do not buy her a 2CV. Jeez, if only I could win the lottery to be able to afford her damn toy.

Meanwhile I still have nightmares about bloody French electrics!!!

Best of luck,

fento

Quote Originally Posted by fento View Post
    I certainly recognise the right hand side jumble of wires, connectors, etc - once or twice a week I awake trembling and sweaty after dreaming of this - - - -

Meanwhile I still have nightmares about bloody French electrics!!!

Best of luck,

fento
    This is the easy bit, the changeover and splicng out of the old rubber in the engine bay will be the interesting bit. Changeover loom is alternator from generator and has an extra relay. Battery is on left, changed from righht. The rear loom replacement is the hardest part in a physical sense, it runs ABOVE the bunch of hydraulic pipes down the length of the left side, an absolute pig to remove and even more difficult to replace.
    Mid to late '60s DS into a '66ID. This is FranknD.
    Apologies for the digression from the original core thread subject. Yet, I too am searching for the indicator relay.
    Last edited by richo; 27th February 2011 at 06:52 PM.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackafrica View Post
    This is the easy bit, the cnangeover and splicng out of the old rubber in the engine bay will be the interesting bit. Changeover loom is alternator from generator and has an extra relay. Battery is on left, changed from righht. The rear loom replacement is the hardest part in a physical sense, it runs ABOVE the bunch of hydraulic pipes down the length of the left side, an absolute pig to remove and even more difficult to replace.
    Mid to late '60s DS into a '66ID. This is FranknD.
    Apologies for the digression from the original core thread subject. Yet, I too am searching for the indicator relay.
    Hah! Trick question! For the earlier cars (those with the turn signals cancelled by pulling on the lever), there is no seperate relay. It's all part of the switch. Only four connections: violet is power in, green is indicator out, white is left turn, blue is right turn. Certain other versions of the switch also have the headlight flash built in, with two more wires: yellow, which is a ground, and black, which leads to the relay(s). The relays you did find were one for the main high beams and, depending on the equipment you have, either for the left and right auxiliary high, or one for the headlight flash and both auxiliary high beams. A quick glance at the color coding on the relay connections suggest you have the QI auxiliary headlamps. If this is the case, there should also be a seperate dash switch to turn the QI lamps on.

See? French electrics are EASY
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post
    ... and finally a thin black cable that only needs to be pulled out of place. In case you didn't know, the thin black cable takes light from the binnacle and illuminates the ignition switch (I forget what it's called).
    Not on DSpecial. Fibre Opti only on 21 pallas and 23's
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Thread Information