Imformation required, cheap code readers
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    927

    Default Imformation required, cheap code readers

    How about these cheap code readers on Ebay? anyone now anything about them, performance, dependability, what's the usual recommended type. Any info. Don't want to spend more than $100. I have a C5 Hdi '03 pre facelift [I think] with no problems, but---.
    Cheers.


    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Hi, I'm new to this forum as just purchased a C3 2003 model. I then purchased an ebay ELM327 blue tooth version and of course the supplied software was no good for Citroen. However I downloaded proscan from a torrent and it works a treat. I can read, and code clear all the functions I have need for into the future. Mind you I had spend hours trying to work out and the secret is to first ensure you are connected by bluetooth to the interface as half the battle. Looking back easy as.

    I do not know about your vehicle and the C3 always had a question ? against when searching. The trick is to find the right software and there is plenty about. For under 30 dollars aus, it was not going to break the bank it it did not work.

    Cheers Geoff

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts daffyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    1,955

    Default

    Some code readers talk to all cars.
    Some don't. Some only talk to VW, Nissan, etc.
    Mine won't talk to diesels but it talks to everything else and I feel my money was well spent.
    Everyobody on my street uses the thing. It's probably the most popular tool in my box.

  4. #4
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bondi Beach
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Lexia3 is the proprietary tool for Citroen and I think Peugeot.
    There are some on Ebay but sure of the quality.
    Can anyone else vouch for any of the fleebay versions?

    Cheers.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    927

    Default code reader

    Quote Originally Posted by mousie View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum as just purchased a C3 2003 model. I then purchased an ebay ELM327 blue tooth version and of course the supplied software was no good for Citroen. However I downloaded proscan from a torrent and it works a treat. I can read, and code clear all the functions I have need for into the future. Mind you I had spend hours trying to work out and the secret is to first ensure you are connected by bluetooth to the interface as half the battle. Looking back easy as.

    I do not know about your vehicle and the C3 always had a question ? against when searching. The trick is to find the right software and there is plenty about. For under 30 dollars aus, it was not going to break the bank it it did not work.

    Cheers Geoff

    Ta Geoff
    Trying to stay clear of anything bluetooth, too many hiccups. Don't mind those readers cable connected from car to laptop, as against those with own display window. Or those where you have to count the number of led flashes to find a fault. Making sure I get the right software for diesel power is the thing and, deciding whether I trust the seller's spiel. Still considering things.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
    Lexia3 is the proprietary tool for Citroen and I think Peugeot.
    There are some on Ebay but sure of the quality.
    Can anyone else vouch for any of the fleebay versions?

    Cheers.
    More confusing from what I've read. Up until 2004 Citroen used the Bosch Siemens system with their own system of code retrieval, supposedly to help the dealers get more $s, with the Citroen supplied, and no doubt overpriced, computer setup program.
    In 2004 Citroen gave in to pressure from the rule makers of the motoring industry, [ I think that's a smelly pile, since when have the French given in to anybody except the Germans. Sorry, I couldn't resist] anyway they released the 2004 C5 supposedly with the more international compliance system for the diesel, petrol powered units following almost immediately. Likely as not it was so they could sell the C5 in the U.S.A. and Canada, which up until then couldn't comply with their design rules.

    Now can anyone confirm this? model info that is, not the German bit. Or better still, can anyone confirm the Proxia system reader or maybe another system reader will work on a 2000-2003 C5 diesel.
    Mine is a 2ltr diesel, 2003 factory plate, 2004 dealer plate. Bosch Siemens system and apparently not OBD11. Over.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Further to that, I just remembered I made inquiries about a code reader from the dealer here a while ago and was told that it's Citroen's own program. So i asked about buying the program and was told I would have to be a Citroen registered dealer to purchase it.
    Now I have spoken to a couple of mechanical repair shop owners and they both told me they had purchased the Citroen program "at great expense and could do a fault down load , no worries" How did they get it?
    Anyway I used one fellow and after fault removal I got as far as across the road, returned and he again removed the fault display with no fault recorded,[ he says]. I got 3klms, gave up and called my friendly RACQ towing guy. Off to Bris Citroen, 2mths wait and $1300 to fix. So what program did charlie mechanic use, removed the fault code but couldn't identify the actual fault evidently. Because he didn't know what he was doing maybe? One of us got duded.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Hi mousie
    "proscan"? a "torrent" to quote a great lady "please explain".

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,623

    Default ??

    Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    More confusing from what I've read. Up until 2004 Citroen used the Bosch Siemens system with their own system of code retrieval, supposedly to help the dealers get more $s, with the Citroen supplied, and no doubt overpriced, computer setup program.
    In 2004 Citroen gave in to pressure from the rule makers of the motoring industry, [ I think that's a smelly pile, since when have the French given in to anybody except the Germans. Sorry, I couldn't resist] anyway they released the 2004 C5 supposedly with the more international compliance system for the diesel, petrol powered units following almost immediately. Likely as not it was so they could sell the C5 in the U.S.A. and Canada, which up until then couldn't comply with their design rules.

    Now can anyone confirm this? model info that is, not the German bit. Or better still, can anyone confirm the Proxia system reader or maybe another system reader will work on a 2000-2003 C5 diesel.
    Mine is a 2ltr diesel, 2003 factory plate, 2004 dealer plate. Bosch Siemens system and apparently not OBD11. Over.
    Hi,
    The system used in Europe is not OBD 11 but EOBD which is the Standard used in Europe. The connector is somewhat different too. Cheap scanners for USA may not recognise EOBD but better ones do and when plugged in just search for whatever standard the car is and then connect and read it. It does not matter what the system manufacturer in the car is as they all communicate by the standard.
    I have an Autel Maxidiag FR704 which is for French cars. It works OK for checking and clearing codes. It will recognise any engine/ transmission/ model/ brand from France. It also recognises OBD and OBD11. As I understand, it will read all code numbers from any recognised standard, however the explanation of the vehicle specific codes are only available for the French models. It comes with an adaptor plug to suit the EOBD socket which is in the glove box of the C5 when you remove the small pocket on the left side.
    I would not recommend this unit if you wish to do more than check and clear codes. It does not do all the functions that it suggests that it might(as far as I can see). I would go the Lexia route probably after more talking to people who have that. It seems to be cheaper too. However I would have to get a laptop or a long cable???
    Jaahn

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Thanks jaahn
    realised the EOBD, but info is just what i was looking for, many thanks.

  11. #11
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Hi folks, well I have the ELM327 and a Nokia N8 Phone and I managed to download a phone application just titled OBD2 for Symbian (Nokia's operating system) and have been using this with great success. It identifies 15 codes for logging and reading and has a fault clearing function as well for the C3.

    OBDScope for symbian phones can be viewed and downloaded at

    http://www.zimbio.com/Symbian+freewa...5+applications

    If you do not like the Bluetooth you can get the USB cable version. I've tried it on an XR6 Turbo which came up with 26 codes to read so for entry level work, its not that bad. I've downloaded the lexia 3 software but realised the key here is to buy the actual interface cable as this is part of the program to see the whole car status. So have not gone further here as yet.

    This is a link to the scan software site and you can download pcmscan and load on your pc to see what it can do

    http://www.palmerperformance.com/downloads.php


    For me, I had the C3 radiator fan fail and went to a lot of trouble to split the casing and install a new set of modified fan brushes at $30 dollars and modify the case so can split open in the future only to have the fan fail a week later. All that work or well it happens.

    Anyway found a Davis Craig 14inch on ebay near new and built a Jaycar Simple Voltage Controller for the electronic relay and added a second relay for air conditioning using the power supply to the main relay. All works great after setting the temperature except that 12 volt relay line can stay on for a while after locking the car so just a final area to fix up to ensure the fan circuit shuts down within seconds after stopping. This is why I needed the code reader to clear faults when setting up the temperature.
    Last edited by mousie; 19th March 2011 at 10:33 PM.

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Thanks to all for advice, I'll go the Lexia3 but it'll have to go on the back burner. Just had to replace rear bump stop rubbers on the C5. $115 ouch.
    They won't break off again, Stikaflex adhesive it's called.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,623

    Default Fan stays on !

    Anyway found a Davis Craig 14inch on ebay near new and built a Jaycar Simple Voltage Controller for the electronic relay and added a second relay for air conditioning using the power supply to the main relay. All works great after setting the temperature except that 12 volt relay line can stay on for a while after locking the car so just a final area to fix up to ensure the fan circuit shuts down within seconds after stopping. This is why I needed the code reader to clear faults when setting up the temperature
    .[/QUOTE]

    Hi Mousie
    The fan is under the control of the computer probably and that system is always on !! If the temperature is high then the fan usually stays on till the temperature drops. That is normal and does not need to be fixed.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 27th March 2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: define quote

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •