GS Speedo and other questions
  • Register
  • Help

Default GS Speedo and other questions

Hi,
    I'm wanting to get a roadworthy on my GS in the next couple of weeks. To do this I need to fix my speedo amongst other things. Does anybody know the mechanics of doing this? the odometer has stopped working as well which has led me to believe a gear of some sort has broken. Are there any weaknesses in the mechanism I should be looking at first to help diagnose? Also with regards to the roadworthy certificate, can anybody recommend a mechanic that is somewhat sympathetic to old citroens. My GS has the usual 'quirks' namely some oil dampness in the engine bay and some spots of cancer here and there. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Advertisement

I forgot to mention. I am located on the Gold Coast but I am willing to drive.
    Thanks
    Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Gudday Andrew,

Firstly, what kind of speedo? Pommy or French (round traditional needle or rotating drum?) Both have plastic gearing on the odometers that wears out over the years. A low mileage replacement may be the best bet in both cases.

Oil leakage in the engine bay may be due to hardened seals between the oil cooler and crankcase, crank oil seals leaking, camshaft seals leaking, leaks from the oil supply pipe seals to the camshafts or, at worse, leaking 'O' rings on the oil drains from the cylinder heads. All fairly easy to replace except the oil drains, which requires the heads to be removed to fix. Four 50 cent 'o' rings and a major job to install.

Check to see that it is indeed engine oil, as the hydraulic pump suction and delivery pipes can also be a problem.

Completely degrease the motor, run and locate the source of the leak.

Best of luck,

Fento

Hi Fento,
    The speedo is the traditional needle type. Would my best be replacing the gauge itself? and if so, does anybody have a gauge for sale!?!?!?
    The car doesnt leave any oil after parking, but i've heard people being knocked back from roadworthys for very minor things. From what I am told, in QLD if a car fails a RWC it has to pass another inspection within two weeks proceeding the test.
    Thanks
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by werdna View Post
    From what I am told, in QLD if a car fails a RWC it has to pass another inspection within two weeks proceeding the test.
    Thanks
    Andrew
    This is correct.

Your best bet is to find people who just do RWC and therefore you won't get stung by an opportunist who'll make you spend a small fortune on trying to make your GS motor not leak oil. The GS motor perspires, it's as simple as that.

I got my GS RWC recently from people who just do them and nothing else, and he was honest and real about the car and its faults (almost all of which I've since had sorted for my own sake and the car's). He didn't pick up on the dodgy starter motor, but nonetheless I've splashed out and bought a new one.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Andrew,

If the car does not leave any oil after parking then it cannot be all that bad! Almost all my Cits leak to the extent that any rain results in surface rainbows from my driveway to the nearest road drain.

The speedo you describe is the more common English version - surely someone out there has a useable spare.

Regards,

Fento

Default Oil leaks and RWCs

Here is a formula to avoid un-nessecary interest :
    -clean engine and engine bay with high pressure washer.
    -drive for a bit.
    -warm up engine before the RWC.
    -take a squirty bottle of dish washing liquid and water with you.
    -squirt off any visible oil before driving round the corner to the test station.

If the oil leakage is moderate, warming the engine will squash the seals and reduce weepage. So your engine should look perfect for the inspection, without the give away "recently degreased" smells

If this is not enough, then the smell of burning oil on the exhaust will put you off driving the car anyway.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Hi Andrew
    Got to the back of the shed today, and found I do have a spare speedo gauge. Jaeger /kph /condition unknown /free if you collect. I'm at inner northside Brisbane, not too far from the Gateway motorway.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thread Information