Another traction resto
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default Another traction resto

    This is a slough built Big 6 Hydraulic that my father was restoring before he died. The resto has been taken up by my brother and myself. The car itself as seen in the photos will have a blue body and black guards.

    Another traction resto-img_4530.jpg

    Another traction resto-img_4531.jpg

    Another traction resto-img_4532.jpg

    Another traction resto-img_4534.jpg

    Another traction resto-img_4539.jpg

    Another traction resto-img_4540.jpg

    Advertisement


    Another traction resto-img_4541.jpg

    Another traction resto-img_4542.jpg

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    That is absolutely amazing.
    What is it with 6Hs. Wal Burkhardt was doing up a magnificent black one , but he to passed away before it could be finished.
    Cheers Gerry
    PS who did the coating on the manifold?
    Last edited by gerrypro; 21st February 2011 at 08:15 AM.

  3. #3
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,415

    Default

    If we grovel and beg .............. Will you take a piccie of the rear suspension for us ??

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    If we grovel and beg .............. Will you take a piccie of the rear suspension for us ??

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Here is some tech info and diags and piccies of another 15/6H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another traction resto-untitled-5.jpg   Another traction resto-untitled-4.jpg   Another traction resto-untitled-3.jpg   Another traction resto-untitled-2.jpg   Another traction resto-untitled-1.jpg  

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    If we grovel and beg .............. Will you take a piccie of the rear suspension for us ??

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Actually, we have the rear end out for restoration. so i'll take some pics and post them here.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    That is absolutely amazing.
    What is it with 6Hs. Wal Burkhardt was doing up a magnificent black one , but he to passed away before it could be finished.
    Cheers Gerry
    PS who did the coating on the manifold?
    My old man gave me a brief and I quote "I want something to see me out" and that's what I got for him.
    My brothers and I were able to get it painted about 3 months before he died so at least he was able to see what it looked like al prettied up.
    I painted it in has garage. Even so the result was pleasing.
    My brother had the manifold coated by someone near wentworhville i think. I'll get the details and send them to you.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    My old man gave me a brief and I quote "I want something to see me out" and that's what I got for him.
    My brothers and I were able to get it painted about 3 months before he died so at least he was able to see what it looked like al prettied up.
    I painted it in has garage. Even so the result was pleasing.
    My brother had the manifold coated by someone near wentworhville i think. I'll get the details and send them to you.
    Here are some pics of the one I had many years ago. It is now being redone by John Grieve in Shepparton.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another traction resto-6h.jpg   Another traction resto-6h-10v-280.jpg   Another traction resto-6h-cv-015.jpg  

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! Trading Estate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Did you sell that one to Kim Harding Gerry?
    I also remember a black one ( hydraulic ) that used to visit Caulfield Tech for night classes ( Painting and Drawing)
    Dave
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Here are some pics of the one I had many years ago. It is now being redone by John Grieve in Shepparton.
    Nice car Gerry, it's a pitty you don't still have it. I have a question. when we bought the car it came with 185/400 wheels and tyres. we have since b een told that it should have 165/400 wheels and tyres. Do you know which is correct?

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Slough cars (6H) were supplied with 185 x 400. Paris cars with 165 or 185 x 400 tyres.
    Yes the car was a lot of fun but It was not perfectly straight and of course photographed better than it actually was. It used to wear out tyres quickly as I could only get 165 x 400. John who has it now has the equipment and resources to correct the out of square hull. It will be a far better machine than I could ever make it, Now the twist is gone and all the doors fit properly. It is better that I do bot have it any more. Besides it was this engine and gearbox combination that caused my lower back injury. it toppled while I was tightening the bell housing bolts. I had visions of that beautiful brass tap and water distribution tube being smashed to smithereens so i tried to stop it falling ----- Ouch!
    Cheers Gerry
    PS that's what happens when one tries to work on the cheap with out proper support gear!!!!! Bloody Stupid!!

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Slough cars (6H) were supplied with 185 x 400. Paris cars with 165 or 185 x 400 tyres.
    Yes the car was a lot of fun but It was not perfectly straight and of course photographed better than it actually was. It used to wear out tyres quickly as I could only get 165 x 400. John who has it now has the equipment and resources to correct the out of square hull. It will be a far better machine than I could ever make it, Now the twist is gone and all the doors fit properly. It is better that I do bot have it any more. Besides it was this engine and gearbox combination that caused my lower back injury. it toppled while I was tightening the bell housing bolts. I had visions of that beautiful brass tap and water distribution tube being smashed to smithereens so i tried to stop it falling ----- Ouch!
    Cheers Gerry
    PS that's what happens when one tries to work on the cheap with out proper support gear!!!!! Bloody Stupid!!
    we've all done stupid things. It appears that you can't safeguard yourself against it. I remember when i was restoring my first traction i had to crankstart it because the battery was flat. I switched the ignitiion on leant on the crank handle, the car started on the first compression and I watched drive off backwards down my laneway. Lucky it wasn't in first or it would have run me clean over. i was young then and was able to run after it and put my foot on the brake before it hit the fence.
    don't tell anybody some people think that I'm clever.

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Obviously that car needed work done on the handbrake as well.
    Cheers Gerry

  13. #13
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    we've all done stupid things. It appears that you can't safeguard yourself against it. I remember when i was restoring my first traction i had to crankstart it because the battery was flat. I switched the ignitiion on leant on the crank handle, the car started on the first compression and I watched drive off backwards down my laneway. Lucky it wasn't in first or it would have run me clean over. i was young then and was able to run after it and put my foot on the brake before it hit the fence.
    don't tell anybody some people think that I'm clever.

    I had a cousin who had an old holden (dunno what model but it was old) and it had a dicky drivers side door latch, and he fell clean out while driving around a corner. The only thing that saved him from serious gravel rash on his arse was his wallet. I think that was pretty stupid.

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Tractionfan,

    You have the most desirable Traction sedan built, and by the look of the rebuild so far you are to be congratulated.

    Onya,

    Fento

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Desirable in many ways. Particularly if one has the French built model. However the English managed to screw up one vital detail that affects the car quite seriously . They omitted to install the hydraulic lockout valve that isolated the rear suspension when the handbrake is applied. This has undesirable consequences when parked on a hill. The rear rises under the gravitational forces induced by the trailing arms and the slope of the hill --- the height corrector tries to lower the car to normal ride height --- when the handbrake is released there is insufficient pressure in the rear suspension and it crashes down onto the bump stops.
    Produces amazing expressions on the faces of people in the car behind if this handbrake start trick is performed at a set of traffic lights. Unfortunately induces severe stresses on the rear body work. I had to weld quite a few cracks in this area
    Cheers Gerry

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fento View Post
    Tractionfan,

    You have the most desirable Traction sedan built, and by the look of the rebuild so far you are to be congratulated.

    Onya,

    Fento
    Thanks Fento,
    I was able to drive one from Moscow and through the Ukraine in 09. They really are quite something to drive.

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! Mort Subite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    Actually, we have the rear end out for restoration. so i'll take some pics and post them here.
    I will show some potential ignorance here (not the first time and probably not the last time perhaps) and say that I thought the rear components were the same units as a D wagon.??

    Id like to drive a 6H sometime and see how it 'feels' compared to a D.
    Does the rear noticeably float compared to the front??
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    I will show some potential ignorance here (not the first time and probably not the last time perhaps) and say that I thought the rear components were the same units as a D wagon.??

    Id like to drive a 6H sometime and see how it 'feels' compared to a D.
    Does the rear noticeably float compared to the front??
    No that is not ignorance. Many of the components are very similar to the early DS. back plates/ drums are different. Height corrector mounts in the middle of the anti roll bar and operates from a slave rod clamped parallel to the anti roll bar. The wheel bearings were different but can be reco'ed with D bearings. The suspension cylinders are the same however the spheres have different dampers and run at higher pressure than a D sedan, but not as high as a Safari Wagon. The frame to which the rear axle mounts is separate and attaches like the tubular mount on a standard TA.
    The ride between front and rear is balanced out and complements each other by the introduction of longer torsion bars and softer telescopic shocks on the front suspension. It is really pleasant on the move.
    Cheers Gerry

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    No that is not ignorance. Many of the components are very similar to the early DS. back plates/ drums are different. Height corrector mounts in the middle of the anti roll bar and operates from a slave rod clamped parallel to the anti roll bar. The wheel bearings were different but can be reco'ed with D bearings. The suspension cylinders are the same however the spheres have different dampers and run at higher pressure than a D sedan, but not as high as a Safari Wagon. The frame to which the rear axle mounts is separate and attaches like the tubular mount on a standard TA.
    The ride between front and rear is balanced out and complements each other by the introduction of longer torsion bars and softer telescopic shocks on the front suspension. It is really pleasant on the move.
    Cheers Gerry
    There you go Mort the definative answer. Everytime Gerry posts here I learn something new.

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Gerry,

    'Really pleasant on the move' - a total understatement.

    An envious fento

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Actually Fento the unpleasant part is at very low parking speeds. The steering is extremely heavy and SWMBO would always remind me of that. Not much of a shopping trolley. The open road is another story altogether. The torque is awesome. I used to wait for AP5s and AP6s to draw level with me ( they of course thinking that I was just another old slow car ) and then just open the taps right up. Bye Bye Valiant!!!! HaHa!
    Cheers Gerry

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger! tractionfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Actually Fento the unpleasant part is at very low parking speeds. The steering is extremely heavy and SWMBO would always remind me of that. Not much of a shopping trolley. The open road is another story altogether. The torque is awesome. I used to wait for AP5s and AP6s to draw level with me ( they of course thinking that I was just another old slow car ) and then just open the taps right up. Bye Bye Valiant!!!! HaHa!
    Cheers Gerry
    I have a theiry about that.
    It seems Gerry, that when you are behind the wheel of one of these contraptions you don't mind having a bit of a fang.
    My father was a bloody maniac behind the wheel of his Big 6 and now that I have it I can tell you that I too have maniacle tendencies when I drive it as well.
    My theory is, It's not us, it's the car that makes us do things that you normally wouldn't do in any other car.
    I have yet to c onvince my wife about this but at least I have another tit bit of proof. show her now.

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Yes that was definitely the best thing about a 6. But if I were to have another one one day ( and I think I am probably running out of days) I would look for a late forties or early 50's small boot car. They ride very well and are a little more taught in the corners.
    Cheers Gerry

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Jeez, Gerry,

    The 6H may have had a little more body roll than the earlier models, but at least they keep their feet on the ground when the surface was other than perfectly smooth.

    Not knocking the all torsion models, but the 6H was a decided improvement on the road conditions normally experienced at the time they were sold.

    Regards,

    Fento

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Sure they were an improvement. But the quality of trim was reduced over the earlier cars. Plus I like the smaller boot cars. We had a pair of black 51 sixes as our wedding cars, so there is a little sentimentality involved. I also had the privilege once to drive a 52 six around some very tight and winding roads. The experience was awesome. The H never handled like that.
    Cheers Gerry
    Last edited by gerrypro; 25th February 2011 at 08:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •