DS body panel alignment
  • Register
  • Help
    mnm

Default DS body panel alignment

Hi hi hi

I've been having a wonderful time tinkering with my new toy (1970 D SPecial). I love how all the panels can be aligned!! What a brilliant idea!

I'm happy with most of them. The rear panels were too low and too close to the boot lid.. metal to metal!.. so I've realigned the gap and lifted them up a bit..

Question: should the top line of the boot lid be level with the top of the rear panel or just below.. it seems if I raise them up any higher then the alignment between the front edge of the rear panel and the rear door edge will be out.

Thanks

Advertisement

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hi hi hi

I've been having a wonderful time tinkering with my new toy (1970 D SPecial). I love how all the panels can be aligned!! What a brilliant idea!

I'm happy with most of them. The rear panels were too low and too close to the boot lid.. metal to metal!.. so I've realigned the gap and lifted them up a bit..

Question: should the top line of the boot lid be level with the top of the rear panel or just below.. it seems if I raise them up any higher then the alignment between the front edge of the rear panel and the rear door edge will be out.

Thanks

Matthew
    I dont think theres an easy answer for this.

Panels are aligned from the front wong back,one after the other, slightly inside the preceeding panel to make sure theres no wind noise between the panels and permit proper aerodynamics of the shape.

The top lip of the side of the boot lid should sit level with the top lip of the rear fenders or very nearly (never lower).
    However as EVERY panel is adjustable in every direction and if theres been some panel work (most very likely) to the rear, these panels are probably going to be all out by a varing degree.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Getting a DS with perfect body panel fit is almost the impossible task. If it's very good, don't mess with it ........ you'll probably make it worst. The easiest way to get a good panel fit IMO is start with a car that is already good. A lot of panels never seem to "match" no matter how much you mess with them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

It helps to have a selection of shims to choose from. There are shims behind the striker plates, the hinges on the door frame and on the pillars. Ideally, collect some from a wreck.

If you can find them, you might want to replace the late plastic rear guard locating pegs on the c-pillar with the early welded steel type, which do not break.

If you start moving the doors around, be extremely careful about the glass alignment. The rubber bungs in the front and rear of the door frame cover bolts that allow you adjust the glass travel. It's easy to move the door, wind the window right up and smash the glass the next time you close the door.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You can smash the windows against the pillars when adjusting too.... Don't ask me how I know this .

I think you need to strip the panels to bare metal, coat with epoxy, re-assemble glass and hinges.... THEN spend the time getting it right. I found I had to brutally "twist" doors to get them closer. I spent a lot of time on the old ID19 ... and it was still bloody shocking, some windows never fitted there seals, a couple of the doors wouldn't close properly (early cars are more difficult with there door catches) etc...

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    You can smash the windows against the pillars when adjusting too.... Don't ask me how I know this .

I think you need to strip the panels to bare metal, coat with epoxy, re-assemble glass and hinges.... THEN spend the time getting it right. I found I had to brutally "twist" doors to get them closer. I spent a lot of time on the old ID19 ... and it was still bloody shocking, some windows never fitted there seals, a couple of the doors wouldn't close properly (early cars are more difficult with there door catches) etc...

seeya
    Shane L.
    imagine what it was like in the factory....
    How many car parts were either discarded or sent time and again for 'adjustment' before going out on a finished car. Precision in the hydraulics maybe but not in the panel build quality, probably coz it was too expensive to get it as perfect as we have come to expect of cars.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW

Thats why in the factory you see every man and his frog have a big rubber hammer in their back pocket . Old jaguars take the cake with sometimes more than 10mm of lead wiping to make things line up and I can remember a fairly late model Roller that was involved in an altercation with a bollard and the amount of original bog that fell off was astounding
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    (early cars are more difficult with there door catches)
    If you pull the door catch mechanisms out of the doors and lubricate them properly before you adjust the catches you will be astonished how well they work. I have done this on my 1959 DS19 and the doors close easily.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    If you pull the door catch mechanisms out of the doors and lubricate them properly before you adjust the catches you will be astonished how well they work. I have done this on my 1959 DS19 and the doors close easily.

Roger
    aha
    Ive also seen how mangled and loose the mechanisms on these old cars get.
    The lift up "Anti-burst" style door locks dont have the same issues.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post

Roger

The previous owners of my D SPecial had been slamming the front passenger door for years.. when I got it home I grabbed a phillips head, moved the striker plate a tad and it now closes with little effort. Actually all the doors click closed pretty well.. it has the old style handles not the flush ones. When my nephew saw the car ( he's only 9) he says "wow, I like the door handles!".. I thought it was funny. They think the quarter windows on my beetle are funny too!

Matthew

...but 1/4 windows are funny.

D's (apparently) dont need them as they have fan forced ventilation..... (aka fan forced oven).

Fellow Frogger

Listen for the 'ping' when you close a door - the sign of a good D I'm told!

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Listen for the 'ping' when you close a door - the sign of a good D I'm told!

Hmmm.. more of a click/clack.

Thread Information